• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry ligislation in Louisiana?

str8razor

In light of Mississippi's new law finally clearing up any grey areas of open carry in that state, has anyone heard of any of your state legislaters proposing anything along the same lines? I have a CHP, but would like to see Louisiana make a law finally spelling it out and making it legal for open carry. It seems so often that neighboring states mimac one another's legislation and wouldn't be surprised if so.

Thanks,

LoadToadBoss

We don't need no stink'n law to say it's okay to exercise a constitutional right. Laws tell you what you cannot do, not what you can do.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Wolfgang1952

Man where have you been, you just got out from under your rock? You haven’t heard of Section 1 article 11 of the Louisiana State Constitution? Or you haven’t heard of La open Carry Awareness League (LOCAL)? We have had legal open carry in La since 74. Why don’t you check us out.
www.laopencarry.org

4angrybadgers

str8razor, the Mississippi legislation addresses a "gray area" that simply doesn't exist in Louisiana law.

In a nutshell, Mississippi law regarding concealed carry had the phrase "concealed in whole or in part" (emphasis mine) in several sections. Nobody had clearly defined what "concealed... in part" meant, and so there was confusion from the AG's office, LEOs, carriers, etc. The bill you're referring to removes the "in part" from the mentions of concealment, and adds a sentence or two clarifying what constitutes "concealed" including a mention that a holster itself is not concealment.

Louisiana law does not have this "in part" nonsense, so no fix is needed. As the other two members already pointed out, the Louisiana state constitution protects carry. No further legislation is needed.

Last edited: