Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

  1. #1
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591

    Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    I just bought a FEG PA-63 and I love it...although, I can't find ammo ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of any gun stores in MI that have any? Or know of anyone who has a little stockpile and would be willing to sell me some?

    As of right now, I only have enough ammo to fill one mag.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  2. #2
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I just bought a FEG PA-63 and I love it...although, I can't find ammo ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of any gun stores in MI that have any? Or know of anyone who has a little stockpile and would be willing to sell me some?

    As of right now, I only have enough ammo to fill one mag.
    I have bought all of mine online, stay away from hollow point though. They tend to chew up the feed ramp.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  3. #3
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    When ammo is available, Cabelas, and Lapeer military surplus, and gun shows. I would suspect Guns Galore might carry it too. These days, the only likely source of ammo is www.gun-deals.com. It's a sight that links to deals which are posted by users, not a retail sight.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have bought all of mine online, stay away from hollow point though. They tend to chew up the feed ramp.
    If you can find the no longer imported 115 grain Brown Bear JHP's, buy them. Test a couple to verify function, then carry them only, not only because they are very scarce, but also because they are likely too powerful to use in a blow back gun (so if you have something other than a CZ82 use at your own risk). They give a gun which otherwise has 380 power low end 9mm power, but they have not been imported in many years. The bullets are also slightly larger than 9mm's, so it rules out full power hand loads. This reason alone is why I have become thoroughly uninterested in x18.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-14-2013 at 03:59 PM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I just bought a FEG PA-63 and I love it...although, I can't find ammo ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of any gun stores in MI that have any? Or know of anyone who has a little stockpile and would be willing to sell me some?

    As of right now, I only have enough ammo to fill one mag.
    Mike - choose whatever works for you. I am moving away from 9mm and going 45acp myself. 45acp offers a huge number of loads from 160 to 230 grains. All ammo is scarce right now but I have been able to get 45acp fairly reguarly at a big box store near me. Just something to think about. Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  5. #5
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mike - choose whatever works for you. I am moving away from 9mm and going 45acp myself. 45acp offers a huge number of loads from 160 to 230 grains. All ammo is scarce right now but I have been able to get 45acp fairly reguarly at a big box store near me. Just something to think about. Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.
    I haaaaaaaate .45! haha. I love 9mm, thought that's all I'd ever buy, until I found this 9x18. It hurts my hand, a lot, and I still favor my CZ75B, but I'm definitely making the FEG my new carry gun, so I want to find a bunch of ammo for it and try to stock up.

    I went to Michiganders link and there were a few places that sell them. If I can't find a decent gun store near my by friday, I'm going to order them online, and then go up to Kzoo to buy some more.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  6. #6
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I haaaaaaaate .45! haha. I love 9mm, thought that's all I'd ever buy, until I found this 9x18. It hurts my hand, a lot, and I still favor my CZ75B, but I'm definitely making the FEG my new carry gun, so I want to find a bunch of ammo for it and try to stock up.

    I went to Michiganders link and there were a few places that sell them. If I can't find a decent gun store near my by friday, I'm going to order them online, and then go up to Kzoo to buy some more.
    Rut row! I suspect your ammo is 109 gn submachinegun ammo. If it is do not use it as a steady diet, not good for the alloy frame. With 95 gn bear ammo mine recoils but does not hurt. I have 109, and I shot a few rounds, it does indeed hurt to the point of bruising. The recoil on a PA-63 is actually absorbed by the spring and the slide stops on the steel trigger guard, but I would not want to push my luck where the guard pins to the frame.

    You can tell 109 by the bullet shape, it is more of a cone than a round nose.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-14-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  7. #7
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Rut row! I suspect your ammo is 109 gn submachinegun ammo. If it is do not use it as a steady diet, not good for the alloy frame. With 95 gn bear ammo mine recoils but does not hurt. I have 109, and I shot a few rounds, it does indeed hurt to the point of bruising. The recoil on a PA-63 is actually absorbed by the spring and the slide stops on the steel trigger guard, but I would not want to push my luck where the guard pins to the frame.

    You can tell 109 by the bullet shape, it is more of a cone than a round nose.
    No sir. Silver bear 94gr ammo. Everything I've read on the gun, people say it hurts their hands too. Maybe it's because I'm used to my CZ75B that has almost no recoil and feels great to shoot.

    I DO really enjoy the sparks out of the FEG though, if I can't shoot em, I'll just set em on fire!
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  8. #8
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Try a CZ82. Twice the magazine, half the recoil. About the same cost.

    WalkingWolf is indeed correct about 95 grain rounds, but the biggest problem in my opinion is that we're talking about the hardest hitting PPK round ever. They aren't as bad in 32 acp, by far, but still, blowback vs recoil operated is no contest. Blowback hurts.


    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.
    You're no slouch yourself.

  9. #9
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    I haaaaaaaate .45! haha. I love 9mm, thought that's all I'd ever buy, until I found this 9x18. It hurts my hand, a lot, and I still favor my CZ75B, but I'm definitely making the FEG my new carry gun, so I want to find a bunch of ammo for it and try to stock up.

    I went to Michiganders link and there were a few places that sell them. If I can't find a decent gun store near my by friday, I'm going to order them online, and then go up to Kzoo to buy some more.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rIz-U...%3DrIz-UA7h0ck

    Mike watch video - even a little girly man like you can handle the 45acp with light loads (160-180gr.)

    Just kidding carry your goofy caliber(s) if it works for you, but finding ammo will be a issue. What good is a gun without ammo: paperweight, doorstop, etc..
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-14-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  10. #10
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rIz-U...%3DrIz-UA7h0ck

    Mike watch video - even a little girly man like you can handle the 45acp with light loads (160-180gr.)
    Oh hilarious. You a holster on the side of your Hover-Round?

    I've shot 45. It doesn't hurt, I just don't like it.

    The FEG is apparently notorious for being hard on the shooter, but it's a solid shooting gun. I really enjoy the pain though! That sounds weird.
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  11. #11
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    The FEG is apparently notorious for being hard on the shooter
    As I was getting at before, you will find the same holds true for nearly all PPK variants in 380 and x18, and there have been a whole lot of them. And you have had the good fortune to get one of the smallest and lightest in the most powerful caliber. The only way I know of you could get the recoil to be worse would be to get a SMC 918.

  12. #12
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Sportsmansguide still has 9X18 ammo.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...95&s=958&stk=1

    Also if you reload 9mm cases can be cut down to 9X18 for reloading, last time I checked 9mm range brass was not to expensive.

    http://www.leobrass.com/store/produc...products_id=39
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-14-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  13. #13
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheGreek View Post
    Oh hilarious. You a holster on the side of your Hover-Round?

    I've shot 45. It doesn't hurt, I just don't like it.

    The FEG is apparently notorious for being hard on the shooter, but it's a solid shooting gun. I really enjoy the pain though! That sounds weird.
    I never " hover around" with only one gun. Never less than two - usually more

    Old & sneaky beats young & girly strong everytime
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  14. #14
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Sportsmansguide still has 9X18 ammo.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...95&s=958&stk=1

    Also if you reload 9mm cases can be cut down to 9X19 for reloading, last time I checked 9mm range brass was not to expensive.

    http://www.leobrass.com/store/produc...products_id=39
    Mike I think wolf meant can be cut down to 9x18 above. If you really want to stick with the FEG reloading will be your best way to maintain a steady ammo supply.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  15. #15
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Mike I think wolf meant can be cut down to 9x18 above. If you really want to stick with the FEG reloading will be your best way to maintain a steady ammo supply.
    Thank you, correct I meant 9X18, I fixed it. The tool to cut them down is available from Lee Precision and is not expensive, it really goes fast with a electric drill. I used to cut down 44 mag cases because it was cheaper than buying 44 special.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  16. #16
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    One other bonus to re-loading young brass chopper. You can tailor the loads to your taste and usually get better feeding and accuracy out of your pistol too. Win-win. There are a few here on the MI forum who re-load and if asked nicely, I am sure they'd help you get started.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  17. #17
    Regular Member MikeTheGreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Sportsmansguide still has 9X18 ammo.

    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/b...95&s=958&stk=1

    Also if you reload 9mm cases can be cut down to 9X18 for reloading, last time I checked 9mm range brass was not to expensive.

    http://www.leobrass.com/store/produc...products_id=39
    All sold out, some ammo on backorder though for at least a month. No bueno.

    Found a guy on Armslist who has a few boxes for $20 near me so I'm going to try and get a hold of him.

    AZ- My brother (Samopal) wants to be a gunsmith, so he plans on getting all that reloading stuff. I don't have the patience for that kinda thing, so I'll just have him make me some!
    Molon Labe

    [+=] Eleftheria i thanatos [+=]

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Thank you, correct I meant 9X18, I fixed it. The tool to cut them down is available from Lee Precision and is not expensive, it really goes fast with a electric drill. I used to cut down 44 mag cases because it was cheaper than buying 44 special.
    The big problem is, 9x18mm is actually more like 9.2x18mm. The diameter on 9mm Mak is more like .363, as compared to 9mm NATO's .355.

    As for the FEG hurting when you shoot it, I seriously think that's because it's a lighter pistol than the Makarov it's self. I have a Bulgarian made Mak, and it can sting a bit. The problem I had with mine had to do with the black baklite grips. When I put the Red Star grips on it, I had no problem. That was primarily due to the retaining screw fitting flush in the red star grips, where it was sunk into the black ones, causing it to try to dig a hole into the palm of my hand. Once I went to the red star grips, no more pain. Plus, the Mak is all steel.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  19. #19
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,278
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    The big problem is, 9x18mm is actually more like 9.2x18mm. The diameter on 9mm Mak is more like .363, as compared to 9mm NATO's .355.

    As for the FEG hurting when you shoot it, I seriously think that's because it's a lighter pistol than the Makarov it's self. I have a Bulgarian made Mak, and it can sting a bit. The problem I had with mine had to do with the black baklite grips. When I put the Red Star grips on it, I had no problem. That was primarily due to the retaining screw fitting flush in the red star grips, where it was sunk into the black ones, causing it to try to dig a hole into the palm of my hand. Once I went to the red star grips, no more pain. Plus, the Mak is all steel.
    The 9mm brass will accept the 9.2mm bullets with no problem, this is a common practice. The 9X18 is a lower pressure cartridge than the 9mm, and there have been no problems that I have heard of. 9mm base diameter 9.93, 9x18 base diameter 9.95mm. .02 mm difference on the strongest part of the case.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-19-2013 at 01:44 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  20. #20
    Michigan Moderator Big Gay Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mason, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The 9mm brass will accept the 9.2mm bullets with no problem, this is a common practice. The 9X18 is a lower pressure cartridge than the 9mm, and there have been no problems that I have heard of. 9mm base diameter 9.93, 9x18 base diameter 9.95mm. .02 mm difference on the strongest part of the case.
    That's good to know.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Yep, only problem is a thorough lack of bonded JHP's that will fit that are more than 95 grains.

    If I'm going to be stuck with 380 performance, I'd rather pick my choice of 380s, personally.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  22. #22
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Yep, only problem is a thorough lack of bonded JHP's that will fit that are more than 95 grains.

    If I'm going to be stuck with 380 performance, I'd rather pick my choice of 380s, personally.
    Edit = taking the high road
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-19-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  23. #23
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    I'm not trying to convince anyone in particular of anything, just trying to make it clear why x18 is currently a false promise of a performance boost above 380. It is a very widely held misconception that it's a happy medium, and at one time it was. Not anymore.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  24. #24
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

    I hear you. Hey, love me a serbu super shorty...but a pocket gun it does not make. on topic anyone ever load a 9x18 defense round they liked? If so please share for Mr T/ oopsie Mr. Mike

    http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  25. #25
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Ironically, I was demolishing a building in Glendale to make way for a new QT in the fall of 08, and saw someone pocket carrying one, sticking up well above their pocket. Man I miss AZ.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •