• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Not sure where to post this...need 9x18/9mm Makarov ammo in MI.

MikeTheGreek

I just bought a FEG PA-63 and I love it...although, I can't find ammo ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of any gun stores in MI that have any? Or know of anyone who has a little stockpile and would be willing to sell me some?

As of right now, I only have enough ammo to fill one mag. :cry:

WalkingWolf

I just bought a FEG PA-63 and I love it...although, I can't find ammo ANYWHERE. Does anyone know of any gun stores in MI that have any? Or know of anyone who has a little stockpile and would be willing to sell me some?

I have bought all of mine online, stay away from hollow point though. They tend to chew up the feed ramp.

Michigander

When ammo is available, Cabelas, and Lapeer military surplus, and gun shows. I would suspect Guns Galore might carry it too. These days, the only likely source of ammo is www.gun-deals.com. It's a sight that links to deals which are posted by users, not a retail sight.

I have bought all of mine online, stay away from hollow point though. They tend to chew up the feed ramp.

If you can find the no longer imported 115 grain Brown Bear JHP's, buy them. Test a couple to verify function, then carry them only, not only because they are very scarce, but also because they are likely too powerful to use in a blow back gun (so if you have something other than a CZ82 use at your own risk). They give a gun which otherwise has 380 power low end 9mm power, but they have not been imported in many years. The bullets are also slightly larger than 9mm's, so it rules out full power hand loads. This reason alone is why I have become thoroughly uninterested in x18.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Mike - choose whatever works for you. I am moving away from 9mm and going 45acp myself. 45acp offers a huge number of loads from 160 to 230 grains. All ammo is scarce right now but I have been able to get 45acp fairly reguarly at a big box store near me. Just something to think about. Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.

MikeTheGreek

Mike - choose whatever works for you. I am moving away from 9mm and going 45acp myself. 45acp offers a huge number of loads from 160 to 230 grains. All ammo is scarce right now but I have been able to get 45acp fairly reguarly at a big box store near me. Just something to think about. Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.

I haaaaaaaate .45! haha. I love 9mm, thought that's all I'd ever buy, until I found this 9x18. It hurts my hand, a lot, and I still favor my CZ75B, but I'm definitely making the FEG my new carry gun, so I want to find a bunch of ammo for it and try to stock up.

I went to Michiganders link and there were a few places that sell them. If I can't find a decent gun store near my by friday, I'm going to order them online, and then go up to Kzoo to buy some more.

WalkingWolf

I haaaaaaaate .45! haha. I love 9mm, thought that's all I'd ever buy, until I found this 9x18. It hurts my hand, a lot, and I still favor my CZ75B, but I'm definitely making the FEG my new carry gun, so I want to find a bunch of ammo for it and try to stock up.

I went to Michiganders link and there were a few places that sell them. If I can't find a decent gun store near my by friday, I'm going to order them online, and then go up to Kzoo to buy some more.

Rut row! I suspect your ammo is 109 gn submachinegun ammo. If it is do not use it as a steady diet, not good for the alloy frame. With 95 gn bear ammo mine recoils but does not hurt. I have 109, and I shot a few rounds, it does indeed hurt to the point of bruising. The recoil on a PA-63 is actually absorbed by the spring and the slide stops on the steel trigger guard, but I would not want to push my luck where the guard pins to the frame.

You can tell 109 by the bullet shape, it is more of a cone than a round nose.

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Rut row! I suspect your ammo is 109 gn submachinegun ammo. If it is do not use it as a steady diet, not good for the alloy frame. With 95 gn bear ammo mine recoils but does not hurt. I have 109, and I shot a few rounds, it does indeed hurt to the point of bruising. The recoil on a PA-63 is actually absorbed by the spring and the slide stops on the steel trigger guard, but I would not want to push my luck where the guard pins to the frame.

You can tell 109 by the bullet shape, it is more of a cone than a round nose.

No sir. Silver bear 94gr ammo. Everything I've read on the gun, people say it hurts their hands too. Maybe it's because I'm used to my CZ75B that has almost no recoil and feels great to shoot.

I DO really enjoy the sparks out of the FEG though, if I can't shoot em, I'll just set em on fire! :banana:

Michigander

Try a CZ82. Twice the magazine, half the recoil. About the same cost.

WalkingWolf is indeed correct about 95 grain rounds, but the biggest problem in my opinion is that we're talking about the hardest hitting PPK round ever. They aren't as bad in 32 acp, by far, but still, blowback vs recoil operated is no contest. Blowback hurts.

Follow MI advice, he knows his stuff.

You're no slouch yourself. ;)

FreeInAZ

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=rIz-UA7h0ck&desktop_uri=/watch?v=rIz-UA7h0ck

Mike watch video - even a little girly man like you can handle the 45acp with light loads (160-180gr.) :D

Just kidding carry your goofy caliber(s) if it works for you, but finding ammo will be a issue. What good is a gun without ammo: paperweight, doorstop, etc.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MikeTheGreek

Michigander

The FEG is apparently notorious for being hard on the shooter

As I was getting at before, you will find the same holds true for nearly all PPK variants in 380 and x18, and there have been a whole lot of them. And you have had the good fortune to get one of the smallest and lightest in the most powerful caliber. The only way I know of you could get the recoil to be worse would be to get a SMC 918.

FreeInAZ

Oh hilarious. You a holster on the side of your Hover-Round? :rolleyes:

I've shot 45. It doesn't hurt, I just don't like it.

The FEG is apparently notorious for being hard on the shooter, but it's a solid shooting gun. I really enjoy the pain though! That sounds weird.

I never " hover around" with only one gun. Never less than two - usually more ;)

Old & sneaky beats young & girly strong everytime :p

FreeInAZ

Sportsmansguide still has 9X18 ammo.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/pistol-ammo-9x18-ammo.aspx?c=95&s=958&stk=1

Also if you reload 9mm cases can be cut down to 9X19 for reloading, last time I checked 9mm range brass was not to expensive.

http://www.leobrass.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=39

Mike I think wolf meant can be cut down to 9x18 above. If you really want to stick with the FEG reloading will be your best way to maintain a steady ammo supply.

WalkingWolf

Mike I think wolf meant can be cut down to 9x18 above. If you really want to stick with the FEG reloading will be your best way to maintain a steady ammo supply.

Thank you, correct I meant 9X18, I fixed it. The tool to cut them down is available from Lee Precision and is not expensive, it really goes fast with a electric drill. I used to cut down 44 mag cases because it was cheaper than buying 44 special.

FreeInAZ

One other bonus to re-loading young brass chopper. You can tailor the loads to your taste and usually get better feeding and accuracy out of your pistol too. Win-win. There are a few here on the MI forum who re-load and if asked nicely, I am sure they'd help you get started. :)

MikeTheGreek

Sportsmansguide still has 9X18 ammo.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/pistol-ammo-9x18-ammo.aspx?c=95&s=958&stk=1

Also if you reload 9mm cases can be cut down to 9X18 for reloading, last time I checked 9mm range brass was not to expensive.

http://www.leobrass.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=39

All sold out, some ammo on backorder though for at least a month. No bueno.

Found a guy on Armslist who has a few boxes for $20 near me so I'm going to try and get a hold of him.

AZ- My brother (Samopal) wants to be a gunsmith, so he plans on getting all that reloading stuff. I don't have the patience for that kinda thing, so I'll just have him make me some!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Thank you, correct I meant 9X18, I fixed it. The tool to cut them down is available from Lee Precision and is not expensive, it really goes fast with a electric drill. I used to cut down 44 mag cases because it was cheaper than buying 44 special.

The big problem is, 9x18mm is actually more like 9.2x18mm. The diameter on 9mm Mak is more like .363, as compared to 9mm NATO's .355.

As for the FEG hurting when you shoot it, I seriously think that's because it's a lighter pistol than the Makarov it's self. I have a Bulgarian made Mak, and it can sting a bit. The problem I had with mine had to do with the black baklite grips. When I put the Red Star grips on it, I had no problem. That was primarily due to the retaining screw fitting flush in the red star grips, where it was sunk into the black ones, causing it to try to dig a hole into the palm of my hand. Once I went to the red star grips, no more pain. Plus, the Mak is all steel.

WalkingWolf

The big problem is, 9x18mm is actually more like 9.2x18mm. The diameter on 9mm Mak is more like .363, as compared to 9mm NATO's .355.

As for the FEG hurting when you shoot it, I seriously think that's because it's a lighter pistol than the Makarov it's self. I have a Bulgarian made Mak, and it can sting a bit. The problem I had with mine had to do with the black baklite grips. When I put the Red Star grips on it, I had no problem. That was primarily due to the retaining screw fitting flush in the red star grips, where it was sunk into the black ones, causing it to try to dig a hole into the palm of my hand. Once I went to the red star grips, no more pain. Plus, the Mak is all steel.

The 9mm brass will accept the 9.2mm bullets with no problem, this is a common practice. The 9X18 is a lower pressure cartridge than the 9mm, and there have been no problems that I have heard of. 9mm base diameter 9.93, 9x18 base diameter 9.95mm. .02 mm difference on the strongest part of the case.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The 9mm brass will accept the 9.2mm bullets with no problem, this is a common practice. The 9X18 is a lower pressure cartridge than the 9mm, and there have been no problems that I have heard of. 9mm base diameter 9.93, 9x18 base diameter 9.95mm. .02 mm difference on the strongest part of the case.
That's good to know.