• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today's laughable moment at Greentop

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I take it your experience does not match this?

http://thegunzone.com/10v40.html

You take it correctly. That's just another "You'll shoot your eye out" writeup.

Yes, the 40 is shorter than the 10 and in theory, the rimless cartridges headspace on the case mouth.

In reality, when the cartridge is stripped from the magazine it's caught under the extractor and headspaces on the extractor no matter what the chamber length is.
If by some miracle it drove the cartridge ahead of the extractor (Which has never happened to me) it wouldn't fire because there isn't enough firing pin protrusion to reach the primer.

There are some pistols that were made for multiple cartridges that used a double extractor for that very purpose.

I've only fired 800 or so 40's in my ten and about the same number of 45ACP's in my 460 Rowland...so yes it does work despite what the safety first folks say.

Now he is right that there is some freebore and the 40 is less accurate in the 10 chamber. The answer to that is seat the bullets a little further out or since the 40 is just a cheap plinking round to me....just ignore it.

The 40's cycle the 10 slide/spring just fine for me. Maybe the case isn't ejected quite as far, but it is ejected.

In the Rowland which is in a whole different power universe, I was getting a fair number of FTE and stovepipes so I dropped from a 22 pound spring, to a 20. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Marco

You take it correctly. That's just another "You'll shoot your eye out" writeup.

Yes, the 40 is shorter than the 10 and in theory, the rimless cartridges headspace on the case mouth.

In reality, when the cartridge is stripped from the magazine it's caught under the extractor and headspaces on the extractor no matter what the chamber length is.
If by some miracle it drove the cartridge ahead of the extractor (Which has never happened to me) it wouldn't fire because there isn't enough firing pin protrusion to reach the primer.

There are some pistols that were made for multiple cartridges that used a double extractor for that very purpose.

I've only fired 800 or so 40's in my ten and about the same number of 45ACP's in my 460 Rowland...so yes it does work despite what the safety first folks say.

Now he is right that there is some freebore and the 40 is less accurate in the 10 chamber. The answer to that is seat the bullets a little further out or since the 40 is just a cheap plinking round to me....just ignore it.

The 40's cycle the 10 slide/spring just fine for me. Maybe the case isn't ejected quite as far, but it is ejected.

In the Rowland which is in a whole different power universe, I was getting a fair number of FTE and stovepipes so I dropped from a 22 pound spring, to a 20. Problem solved.

I can confirm the above as I have done it many times myself, both in a Glock and a Delta Elite.

The G20 can fire or be converted to fire:
10mm-357-41mag power
40SW- cheap practice
357sig- less pressure almost no recoil
9x25-was designed for IPSC shooters
50GI- bigger bullet at 45acp speeds
22LR-pre panic cheap practice

The G21 can fire or be converted to fire:
45ACP
460Rowland- almost 44mag power
50GI
22LR

I don't really look at these as the 10mm/Rowland trumps these, imho
400 Corbon
} with < 165gr these match and in some cases slightly beat 10mm
40Super

45Super- beats 10mm with heavier bullets, falls short of 460Rowland

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Why are you looking at his legs?:uhoh:

I don't know why Citizen is looking at Marco's legs but I always figured anyone tough enough to be running around in shorts when I have two pairs of long johns on and am still cold....didn't even need a gun!

Tanner

not good news

I planned on going there today to get a shotgun of the tactical persuasion! I was considering used until I saw this thread. I'm thinking Mossberg or Benelli! Any one want to meet me there and help me spend all my Washingtons?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I planned on going there today to get a shotgun of the tactical persuasion! I was considering used until I saw this thread. I'm thinking Mossberg or Benelli! Any one want to meet me there and help me spend all my Washingtons?

Many people seem to prefer pump style shotguns for in home defense. Myself, if I were to buy one for that dedicated pupose, would chose a semi-auto. Pumps are generally a little more reasonably priced though.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
When I walk, I occasionally look down for tripping hazards. At that point it becomes a sort of Medusa situation--what has been seen cannot be unseen. :D

Reflecting on that - quit dropping your pencil and maybe you won't go blind.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not going to lie. I just want to hear the sweet sweet sound of BOOM!....CHK...CHK.
there may be better reasons to choose a pump but there could be worse reasons.

I like pumps too and like Mossberg but just so you know, if you pump a Mossberg upside down, which is necessary at times, it will not feed right.

An 870 is a better gun.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not going to lie. I just want to hear the sweet sweet sound of BOOM!....CHK...CHK.
there may be better reasons to choose a pump but there could be worse reasons.

That's supposed to be CHK...CHK...BOOM!

As often as that lie about the sound of a pump-action shotgun being so horrible that it will cause BGs to run away while spoiling their drawers, I have never, ever run across anything that confirms it. I had the opportunity to talk with a few inmates ended up being shot by a pump shotgun fired from the other side of the wall/door/window and not one of them said they heard the shotgun's pump action being racked. Trial transcripts showed that the racking of the shotgun was clearly, plainly, and repeatedly mentioned - usually in regards to demonstrating the evil, viscious, brazen criminal behavior of the defendant.

I invite anybody who actually believes that the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will scare away a BG to come stand outside my door while I rack my 870 from across the room. (I'll even allow folks you appoint there with me to ensure that the shotgun is not loaded and all I am doing is racking the action.)

stay safe.

Tanner

I have yet to buy a gun under the premise that it is scarier than another gun. Aren't they all evil and scary? After all they kill almost as many people as hammers. And I'm terrified of hammers. After all the presents of a hammer usually mean there is manual labour yo be done. But I digest. What's the word on Benelli? And should I even bother with used? Looking to spend no more than 700 smackaroos.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's supposed to be CHK...CHK...BOOM!

As often as that lie about the sound of a pump-action shotgun being so horrible that it will cause BGs to run away while spoiling their drawers, I have never, ever run across anything that confirms it. I had the opportunity to talk with a few inmates ended up being shot by a pump shotgun fired from the other side of the wall/door/window and not one of them said they heard the shotgun's pump action being racked. Trial transcripts showed that the racking of the shotgun was clearly, plainly, and repeatedly mentioned - usually in regards to demonstrating the evil, viscious, brazen criminal behavior of the defendant.

I invite anybody who actually believes that the sound of a pump shotgun being racked will scare away a BG to come stand outside my door while I rack my 870 from across the room. (I'll even allow folks you appoint there with me to ensure that the shotgun is not loaded and all I am doing is racking the action.)

stay safe.

You're right Skid!
That's why Biden said use a Double. You can sneak up on them.:uhoh:

Elmer+Fudd+pictures+looney+tunes-+Elmer+Fudd+Color+Sticker.jpg

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I cleared a stairway behind two closed doors to our apartment once with the sound of chambering the first round in a Remington 1100 - course I did yell out "Listen up, hear this!" before I released the bolt.

I'll tell the rest of the story over breakfast sometime.

Red Dawg

Agree with the sound not being that loud. My 870s are cleaned and rem-oiled and are pretty quiet. I keep them real slick for shooting trap.

I vote on the 870s for an all around, good gun due to the ease of barrel changes, and the reasonable cost. You don't need a Wingmaster, an express will do the same job, just not as purdy..