• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Aldie/South Riding

Mike_James

Hey i have been lurking for awhile and I was wondering if anybody had anything to say about the south riding Aldie area when it comes to OC. and i can only OC since i am 18.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!

Regarding South Riding/Aldie, that's Loudoun County, and things should be fine.

However, you can always run into a cop who didn't get the message that OC is legal and not suspicious, or just doesn't like OC. So, always carry your voice-recorder and know both the law on where you can and can't carry, and your rights--4A (Fourth Amendment/search and seizure), 5A (Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination).

I understand the Sheriff of Loudoun County is on pretty good terms with Ed Levine, one of our moderators, so I'm thinking the area should be pretty tame from a law-enforcement angle, but there is always that one chance you'll meet a deputy who didn't get the message or wants to screw around. Northern VA cops weren't naturally tolerant of OCers--we had to remind them. Part of that was the threat and actuality of carry voice-recorders, knowing the law better than the police, and being willing to fight back with formal written complaints, and showing up at in large numbers at City Council and Board of Supervisor meetings.

So, don't get all relaxed. Stay on your toes a little bit.

Did I mention always carrying a voice-recorder? I can say with great confidence that not one OCer has ever had a police encounter and later said, "Boy, I'm glad I left my voice-recorder at home."

Last edited:

Mike_James

Im not too terrible concerned with the whole OC but i have a good feeling if they found out I was 18 it may turn into a LEO convention

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Im not too terrible concerned with the whole OC but i have a good feeling if they found out I was 18 it may turn into a LEO convention

If they find out you're 18, that should be the closing ceremony of the convention.

The problem might arise that they first seize you temporarily for investigation because they suspect, from your appearance, that you are too young to carry a handgun. Once they see your ID document and your age, they should be letting you go. I'm not saying it is legal to seize you in the first place; I'm merely elaborating that once they find out you are 18 and legal to carry a handgun, that should be the end of the seizure.

We've discussed the legal angles of seizing a young-looking man a few times. I don't recall that we were ever able to arrive at a clear answer. Certainly, I can't think of any court opinions that make it illegal for a cop to do it.

Your best defense is to know your rights cold and exercise them. To start, check out the FlexYourRights videos at the link below. And, always carry a voice-recorder. Especially if you look like you're only 14 or 15.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Your-4th-and-5th-Amendment-Resources-Here!!&

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Kep calm. Keep recording till they violate the law by assaultng you, committing an illegal battery and steal your property - or they just leave your recorder alone. Disagree politely with things they say you know to be wrong. Do not get into a yelling match with them, and if they wish to persue what you believe is illegal activity do not argue/resist - that's what courts and attorneys are for. There's no need to add resisting arrest to the situation.

As for things turning into a convention - if that were going to happen it would most likely start well before they discerned your age.

Give thought to attending somwe of the OC meet-ups in your area. Ed usually has an OC breakfast on Sundays and an OC dinner about once a month. Meeting other OCers is good. Getting to know how they have handled any encounters in the past is helpful. Getting practice OCing helps make it part of your everyday life, just like walking around in shoes. (Hey, Ed - where are the stickies about breakfasts and dinners?)

Breathe in. Breathe out. Relax.

stay safe.

Mike_James

If they find out you're 18, that should be the closing ceremony of the convention.

Your best defense is to know your rights cold and exercise them. To start, check out the FlexYourRights videos at the link below. And, always carry a voice-recorder. Especially if you look like you're only 14 or 15.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Your-4th-and-5th-Amendment-Resources-Here!!&

Well atleast i do not look younger than 18. And I am defiantly going to try and make as many as I can so that I can finally meet some like minded people. And i have seen that video many, many times

Last edited:

Tyeo098

I OC around South Riding all the time when its hot.

Maybe you've seen me on my motorcycle or at the McDonalds!

I'm only 21 but I look young. No one has hassled me yet.

Mike_James

I OC around South Riding all the time when its hot.

Maybe you've seen me on my motorcycle or at the McDonalds!

I'm only 21 but I look young. No one has hassled me yet.

I actually have not seen anyone open carry at that McDonald's. Maybe one day this summer i may happen to run into you

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Well atleast i do not look younger than 18. And I am defiantly going to try and make as many as I can so that I can finally meet some like minded people. And i have seen that video many, many times

Oh, we take all kinds. Defiant, timid, jolly, submissive, you name it. :)

Mike_James

Oh, we take all kinds. Defiant, timid, jolly, submissive, you name it. :)

Ok, Awesome I have a friend how is on the border of buying a handgun to OC. Another question is what type of clothes to you folks usually wear when you OC? I have heard to always wear business clothes while i know people that do not care what they were when they OC. Any thoughts?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Ok, Awesome I have a friend how is on the border of buying a handgun to OC. Another question is what type of clothes to you folks usually wear when you OC? I have heard to always wear business clothes while i know people that do not care what they were when they OC. Any thoughts?

Yes. Definitely wear clothes. :p:)

Speedos with cowboy boots is out. So is tacti-cool stuff. Otherwise, wear whatever.

But, don't mix and match. For example, no french cuffs and sandals.

Oh, and if you like leather holsters, you need two. One brown, one black. A gentleman never wears brown leather after 6:00pm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Since we promote OCing as one goes about their normal everyday business, it would stand to reason that whatever one wears normally should be acceptable. The members/users here are representative of all walks of life: blue collar, professional, college students, military, retirees, male & female - a very diverse group of individuals.

While clothes do not make the man (or woman), we try as a rule to keep our act cleaned up - it is a public reaction/impression thing. Whether we conscientiously intend to or not, we are all representative of how the public perceives us.

Someone recently suggested tongue in cheek that another OCer should cover his legs (he wear shorts almost year round) - the man in question has the metabolism that allows that and is most frequently seen with his young children when out and about - that alone raises his positive public imagine several notches. He takes his responsibilities very seriously, yet is has non-aggressive demeanor.

Mike_James

Since we promote OCing as one goes about their normal everyday business, it would stand to reason that whatever one wears normally should be acceptable. The members/users here are representative of all walks of life: blue collar, professional, college students, military, retirees, male & female - a very diverse group of individuals.

While clothes do not make the man (or woman), we try as a rule to keep our act cleaned up - it is a public reaction/impression thing. Whether we conscientiously intend to or not, we are all representative of how the public perceives us.

So, it would be bad to were political shirts and such?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Well, I wouldn't go around wearing a Million Mom March t-shirt while OCing; but otherwise I can't see the harm in wearing a political t-shirt.

The neater you dress, the better the impression, but really there is no requirement for neatness or politeness in the Bill of Rights. It kinda depends on why you are OCing. If you're trying to draw converts to self-defense rights, that's one thing. If you're just OCing because its your right, that's a little different.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

No not necessarily bad at all. I'd avoid T-shirts with bad language, but have seen many with pro 2A messages, pro self-defense, founding father quotes, and in support of party affiliation/candidates.

Since I OC virtually 24/7 wherever I can, my style of dress will vary greatly in accordance with what I am doing - from dirty jeans and a ragged out t-shirt when working in the yard, to polo shirt and khaki pants on a special night out. Almost never where a coat & tie any more except at funerals and weddings...then I CC out of deference to the principals - it is not the time for politicking, not my party.

user

Accomplished Advocate
My impression is that the people who live in that area tend to be addle-brained touchy-feely types who think they're "liberals", but are actually fascists. An unfair generalization and prejudice on my part, obviously. But I think you're much more likely to have "man with a gun doing nothing in particular" calls in that part of the county. But then, I'm in Fauquier (where the billboard at the border with Pr. Wm. on Rt 29 says, "We jus' a buncha farmers, but we like bidniss.", or something like that).

Mike_James

My impression is that the people who live in that area tend to be addle-brained touchy-feely types who think they're "liberals", but are actually fascists. An unfair generalization and prejudice on my part, obviously. But I think you're much more likely to have "man with a gun doing nothing in particular" calls in that part of the county. But then, I'm in Fauquier (where the billboard at the border with Pr. Wm. on Rt 29 says, "We jus' a buncha farmers, but we like bidniss.", or something like that).

Well thank you for letting me know. I will let you folks know how my first encounter with someone goes. I'm a bit nervous and excited at the same time.

JohnM15A

I'm in Woodbridge, Prince William county but I have friends in South Riding. My impression is that it is more of a Liberal area but I could be wrong. First time out OCing can be a little nevus but I assure you that after a couple times that will go away. I will say that I have yet to confront a LEO so I have not been around the block like others here. If you need a partner for an outing, let me know, I can zip up there...

Mike_James

I'm in Woodbridge, Prince William county but I have friends in South Riding. My impression is that it is more of a Liberal area but I could be wrong. First time out OCing can be a little nevus but I assure you that after a couple times that will go away. I will say that I have yet to confront a LEO so I have not been around the block like others here. If you need a partner for an outing, let me know, I can zip up there...

Ya that sounds good. I also take college classes in manassas. Maybe one day we could meet up around there.

JohnM15A

Ya that sounds good. I also take college classes in manassas. Maybe one day we could meet up around there.

Mike, the wife and I frequent the Longhorn restaurant on Liberia, that would be a great place but we can meet up anywhere... I'm retired so I am fairly free most times with heads up.