Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Gun stores in the Arlington area and gun recommendation

  1. #1
    Fenix
    Guest

    Gun stores in the Arlington area and gun recommendation

    I'm looking to buy my first gun, I want a 9mm. I'm used to the Glock but don't really like that most of them don't have safety'.
    Does anyone have a recommendation on 9mm, something with little recoil? (I wont mind if the gun is cheaper than a Glock, that's never a bad thing.)
    Also any recommendations on where to get the gun I've heard great things of Virginia Arms out in Manassas and I've heard not so great things of NoVA Firearms (Mainly expensive).

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    581

    Gun stores in the Arlington area and gun recommendation

    Welcome. A Beretta 92FS always has sex appeal and a safety.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Falls Church, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    392
    Let me suggest that you attend the gun show in Chantilly this weekend. You will see a far greater selection than you will at any single vendor. Once you have your short list, and are familiar with typical asking prices, you will be better prepared to select a vendor and negotiate a sale. Don't forget to stop by the VCDL table.

    I do believe in patronizing local vendors when they are not unreasonable. VA Arms and Guns & Ammo Warehouse (both in Manassas) fit this characterization.

    And, oh yeah, welcome to OCDO.

  4. #4
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Let me suggest that you attend the gun show in Chantilly this weekend. You will see a far greater selection than you will at any single vendor. Once you have your short list, and are familiar with typical asking prices, you will be better prepared to select a vendor and negotiate a sale. Don't forget to stop by the VCDL table.

    I do believe in patronizing local vendors when they are not unreasonable. VA Arms and Guns & Ammo Warehouse (both in Manassas) fit this characterization.

    And, oh yeah, welcome to OCDO.
    I concur with this completely. Now to your questions.

    "I'm used to the Glock but don't really like that most of them don't have safety'. "
    This is not quite a true statement. Glocks do have safeties. In fact, there are three of them on every Glock; one external and two internal. However, none of them are settable and that is probably what you are thinking with your statement and in the case, what you said is true.

    You should spend some time on different manufacturers' websites to get some ideas and then do as architect suggested; visit a major gun show with your candidate list. This will serve a number of purposes. You will get to see and handle the guns on your list, remove some which don't satisfy your needs, and add some that do to create a new short list. Then try to go to a range where you can rent guns and see what works best for you.

    You should also determine what you're going to use the gun for. Range work only or range and home defense/carry use. This will dictate certain features and characteristics of the gun; whether they are good or not for your wants and needs.

    Don't rush into this because all to often when people do this, all they find is that they made a mistake and have to start looking again. And try not to be too confining on price. That will definitely limit your search for a quality handgun. And after all if this gun is to serve as a defensive tool, what price do you put on your life.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  5. #5
    Founder's Club Member Tess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,765
    What are you looking for it for? Will you carry OC or concealed, and how? Full-size or compact or sub-compact? (Physics states that in general, the shorter the barrel and the lighter the frame, the more the recoil.) My two favorites are the Beretta M9 and the Bersa Thunder 9, but every person is different.

    I have bought from Dawsons in Woodbridge, Guns & Ammo Warehouse in Manassas, NOVA Armament in Herndon (not to be confused with NOVA Firearms in Tysons), and others. I like Gadsden Guns in Beaverdam and sent a friend there recently, even though it's a hike from Arlington. I've also been to, and like, F3 Tactical in Chantilly and All Shooters in Woodbridge, though I've not bought yet from either. At the shows, I've bought from Trader Jerry (my #1 favorite), Rabbit Ridge, Gary's Guns, and others. There are tons of options.

  6. #6
    Fenix
    Guest
    Thank you for all the responses.
    @southernboy
    Can you explain to me the safeties you speak of?

  7. #7
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    +1 to what architect said. A gun show is a great place to touch a lot of different guns, to see how they feel in your hand, and do some research on price, features, etc.

    Once you've narrowed down your short list of guns, I recommend finding a way to try them out - either by going to a range that rents gun, or cultivating friends who have them and are willing to let you try them out. Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly, Silver Eagle in Ashburn, and Sharpshooters in Lorton all have rental guns.
    Last edited by Riana; 04-15-2013 at 01:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Thank you for all the responses.
    @southernboy
    Can you explain to me the safeties you speak of?
    Certainly. The external safety that Glock employs is on the trigger. It must first be pressed before the trigger can be fully pressed. In many peoples' minds, this is a joke since if your finger or an object is in a position to depress the safety, it will also be in a position to depress the trigger. I agree with this thought.

    The two internal safeties are; 1) A striker safety block which has to be raised by a cam on the trigger bar before it will free up the striker to move forward and contact the cartridge primer. This safety is a good design. 2) The cruciform, the end of the trigger bar that includes the sear, is held in its position by two interior frame edges so that it will not "drop", thereby releasing the striker. As it is deliberately moved rearward, the frame edges end which then does allow the connector to move the cruciform downward which allows the sear to release the striker.

    These two internal safeties work beautifully as they keep the gun from accidental discharge. The gun will only fire by deliberate action (at least, that is the design).
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  9. #9
    Fenix
    Guest
    @SouthernBoy

    Thanks!
    The only Glocks i've used were modified with a slide safety.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Greene County
    Posts
    3,844
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Certainly. The external safety that Glock employs is on the trigger. It must first be pressed before the trigger can be fully pressed. In many peoples' minds, this is a joke since if your finger or an object is in a position to depress the safety, it will also be in a position to depress the trigger. I agree with this thought.

    The two internal safeties are; 1) A striker safety block which has to be raised by a cam on the trigger bar before it will free up the striker to move forward and contact the cartridge primer. This safety is a good design. 2) The cruciform, the end of the trigger bar that includes the sear, is held in its position by two interior frame edges so that it will not "drop", thereby releasing the striker. As it is deliberately moved rearward, the frame edges end which then does allow the connector to move the cruciform downward which allows the sear to release the striker.

    These two internal safeties work beautifully as they keep the gun from accidental discharge. The gun will only fire by deliberate action (at least, that is the design).
    1+
    http://us.glock.com/products/model/g19


    http://us.glock.com/technology
    Last edited by Marco; 04-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.


    ~Alan Korwin

  11. #11
    Fenix
    Guest
    Marco,
    You've read my mind. I did all of my research today and I planned on going with a G19, especially for OC; I've just got to get down to Manassas and the gun show to figure out if I would like the feel of a g19 or g17 better.

  12. #12
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Marco,
    You've read my mind. I did all of my research today and I planned on going with a G19, especially for OC; I've just got to get down to Manassas and the gun show to figure out if I would like the feel of a g19 or g17 better.
    Good luck finding one. What I would do is first make a list of all of the gun stores within a radius you are willing to travel. Then give them a call. If they have any in inventory, get down there quickly and check it out. If you are certain this is the gun you want, ask if they'll take a credit card number over the phone to hold the gun until you get there... they do go fast.

    The Glock 19 is probably the most popular pistol Glock makes. You're real problem is going to be finding ammunition for it.

    BTW, if you cannot find one and still want to know how they feel, I have a G19 and a G17, both gen3's, which I would be happy to let you handle just to see how they fit in your hand.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  13. #13
    Fenix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Good luck finding one. What I would do is first make a list of all of the gun stores within a radius you are willing to travel. Then give them a call. If they have any in inventory, get down there quickly and check it out. If you are certain this is the gun you want, ask if they'll take a credit card number over the phone to hold the gun until you get there... they do go fast.

    The Glock 19 is probably the most popular pistol Glock makes. You're real problem is going to be finding ammunition for it.

    BTW, if you cannot find one and still want to know how they feel, I have a G19 and a G17, both gen3's, which I would be happy to let you handle just to see how they fit in your hand.
    It's really that bad, huh?
    I was looking at http://www.glockstore.com/
    g19 gen 4 would be around 600 total.

  14. #14
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    It's really that bad, huh?
    I was looking at http://www.glockstore.com/
    g19 gen 4 would be around 600 total.
    Before all of this craziness, gen4 Glocks were running $585 at Virginia Arms. I haven't been in there for several months because stuff is so sparse, so I don't know if they have any or if so, what they are going for now.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  15. #15
    Fenix
    Guest
    I made it to Guns & Ammo which was great. They only had G17 Gen 4. The guy I spoke to, Andrew, Was really cool about it and was willing to help me find a substitute for a G19. I told them I would buy online from Glock Store and have it sent to them.

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran roscoe13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Catlett, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,134
    [QUOTE=Fenix;1926616The guy I spoke to, Andrew,[/QUOTE]

    I think that'd be our own Longwatch....

    Roscoe
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

  17. #17
    Fenix
    Guest
    SouthernBoy,

    I might have to take your offer.
    I was thinking about it, I was going to OC and CC when I get the permit.
    But I keep having a feeling that the G19 would be too small for me. The G17 is a bit bigger but i've seen alot of people saying that it was too big for them to CC.

    Anyone have any opinions?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •