• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A private company can be a federal gun free zone???

self preservation

A friend of mine works for a pharmaceutical company and was told that he couldn't have a gun in his car because his company is contracted by the military to produce medication, so they are federally prohibited from having a gun on the property. Under KY law employees can keep a gun in their vehicle unless it is on federal property. Anyone have any idea if this would be true? Would a private business with a government contract fall under the federal gun free zone?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Your friend is being smoked.

The company may be using that as an excuse. More likely, the company has a policy and someone somewhere between the top, the lawyers, and the employee had to have an answer so s/he made one up.

KY law notwithstanding, private property under contract to the feds does not automatically become subject to federal rules.

Flounder

A friend of mine works for a pharmaceutical company and was told that he couldn't have a gun in his car because his company is contracted by the military to produce medication, so they are federally prohibited from having a gun on the property. Under KY law employees can keep a gun in their vehicle unless it is on federal property. Anyone have any idea if this would be true? Would a private business with a government contract fall under the federal gun free zone?

Smells really fishy to me. I'll let the others chime in with more accurate info, but from my experience in FL, this would not be true. I had a friend who worked for Lockheed and carried in his vehicle without any issues. Lockheed has many contract with Big Brother, but I am not sure if he ever let them know he had a gun in the vehicle.

Now the company might "lease" the facility to the government for the purposes of fulfilling the pharmaceutical contract and if I understand it right the lease would make it "federal property". Im may be completely wrong, these are just my thoughts.

eye95

I know of one way that private property becomes a federally defined GFZ: A private school.

Unless the feds lease that property and designate as being one of those federal places that you may not carry (e.g., an actual military installation, a courthouse, a post office, etc.), I know of no federal law that makes it a GFZ.

You have to ask yourself, though, is this a hill you want to die on? If it is, go get 'em! They are breaking KY law. If not, either quietly follow KY law, hoping that they never notice, or choose to not keep a gun in your car. Those are the only options I see.

Best of luck dealing with these hoplophobic idiots.

self preservation

The property does very clearly have "no guns allowed" signs posted at each gated entrance into the property. But they claimed to him that due to their military contract that they are "federalized" and they he is committing a felony by having a firearm on the property. I have tried to find a cite that states that they are FOS but that cite is hard to find. At least I haven't had any luck locating it.

Fallschirjmäger

That's just about as specious an argument as saying,
"Our bank is Federally Insured so it's against federal law to carry here in Bob's Big Bank" or
"My house has Federal Flood Insurance, so it's against federal law for anyone to carry at my house."

self preservation

I have read that the land has to be owned or leased by the federal government in order for the no guns allowed law. But I would hate to find out that there is a loop hole in regards to a contract. I could walk into my local mechanic shop with a gun on and find out that they have contracted out with the marines to do oil changes, and would have no way to know that this mechanic shop is now gun free. I believe this company is blowing smoke but I would still like to find a good cite. But looking through the federal laws is like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Was he fired or charged with a crime?

I know of a Food Lion employee that was fired for having a gun in his car while on the clock en-route to a training seminar. As far as I know he is still without a job, and without unemployment benefits. He clearly disregarded the company policy, which he knew. The bad thing is he brought it on himself by bragging.

self preservation

Was he fired or charged with a crime?

I know of a Food Lion employee that was fired for having a gun in his car while on the clock en-route to a training seminar. As far as I know he is still without a job, and without unemployment benefits. He clearly disregarded the company policy, which he knew. The bad thing is he brought it on himself by bragging.

He was fussed at and told that they could send him to prison for violating federal law. No criminal charges. Still employed. But this story is still young.

Just one hell of a big difference in violating a company rule and a federal law. I want to get to the bottom of this because if its true, any business you walk into could have a government contract that prohibits firearms on the property then bam......federal charges.

WalkingWolf

He was fussed at and told that they could send him to prison for violating federal law. No criminal charges. Still employed. But this story is still young.

Just one hell of a big difference in violating a company rule and a federal law. I want to get to the bottom of this because if its true, any business you walk into could have a government contract that prohibits firearms on the property then bam......federal charges.

Well he should demand to see the law that claims such, I would like to see it. How does one magically know what is and what is not. I highly doubt they could charge him for his own car. But sometimes a person should keep their big trap shut when it comes to employers and firearms. I carried when I transported for the military, I did have to store the firearm while on bases. Usually a gun shop with hold the gun for you and there is always one around a military base.

self preservation

I know of one way that private property becomes a federally defined GFZ: A private school.

Unless the feds lease that property and designate as being one of those federal places that you may not carry (e.g., an actual military installation, a courthouse, a post office, etc.), I know of no federal law that makes it a GFZ.

You have to ask yourself, though, is this a hill you want to die on? If it is, go get 'em! They are breaking KY law. If not, either quietly follow KY law, hoping that they never notice, or choose to not keep a gun in your car. Those are the only options I see.

Best of luck dealing with these hoplophobic idiots.

Thanks for the cool new word. :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The property does very clearly have "no guns allowed" signs posted at each gated entrance into the property. But they claimed to him that due to their military contract that they are "federalized" and they he is committing a felony by having a firearm on the property. I have tried to find a cite that states that they are FOS but that cite is hard to find. At least I haven't had any luck locating it.

The reaason you are having no luck finding that law is because it does not exist.

This is the same argument that because a bank's deposits are federally insured* the bank is a federal facility.

As someone has already pointed out, your friend's employer is blowing some of a quantity to bring out the EPA regulators.

stay safe.

* Being insured by a federal agency is not the same as being federally insured. But we know I am "that guy" who still believes that words have meaning all by themselves.

KBCraig

That's just about as specious an argument as saying,
"Our bank is Federally Insured so it's against federal law to carry here in Bob's Big Bank" or
"My house has Federal Flood Insurance, so it's against federal law for anyone to carry at my house."

I even knew one guy who claimed it was illegal to carry in Walmart because they sell beer, and that makes it federal "because ATF". LOLwhut?

Fallschirjmäger

I even knew one guy who claimed it was illegal to carry in Walmart because they sell beer, and that makes it federal "because ATF". LOLwhut?
Well if 'that guy' was in New Mexico he might have a point. I seem to remember that any store selling alcoholic products for consumption on or off the premises was off limits in NM. But 'because ATF' is just nonsense.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
/
8 USC § 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.