• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colonial Heights incident

HearseGuy

I'll be staying on top of this to find out exactly what went down and how the events transpired. This one might get interesting

davidmcbeth

Banned
Hope the guy gets better ... its not clear what actually happened ... but it does highlight the primary thing you should do in dangerous environments: get to cover!

user

Accomplished Advocate
Agreed. I don't plan to be "exchanging shots" with any robbers, but if I do it'll be from behind cover.

Absolutely right!!! So many people have this "high noon" mentality about shooting incidents, the two guys facing off in the middle of the street, you know. One of three evil cinematic influences. The other two are that you can take absolute control over a situation and everyone will obey you if you pull out a gun and wave it around, and that you can approach Badguy within inches and stick a gun to his head with good effect. So here's my non-legal advice:

1) Always find cover before you even think about pulling out a gun, and if you can't find cover, at least find concealment. There is absolutely no profit in attempting to be a quick-draw artist and you don't actually need the gun until you're in a position to use it from relative safety. So don't think about the gun, much less pull it out, until you're in that position. Your mission is to stay alive and well, not to get the badguy at all costs.

2) Brandishing a firearm does not make you the boss. Someone will call your bluff, and maybe two or three of them at once. What are you going to do, shoot them for having moved? If you meant to kill them, they'd already be dead, and they know that. So keep in mind (lapsing into lawyer-mode) that the law pertaining to deadly force is the law of necessity. If you're merely trying to intimidate people, you'll wind up dead at worst, and probably charged with crimes yourself at best. So take Tuco's advice, "When you need to shoot, shoot; don't talk."

3) I don't know about y'all, but I learned several ways of disarming someone who came within reach (I was second in Virginia in Judo, once upon a time) and I bet that even at my advanced age and state of decay I could still do that. So don't allow Badguy to come within reach of you; remember the rule, what is it, "three seconds equals twenty-one feet"? And above all, don't think you can pull out a gun and actually approach someone with it. Really good way to get yourself killed.

Those things only work in the movies. Do not attempt them at home.

palerider116

Shoot and move if you don't have cover. Harder to hit a moving target and we often practice squared off with a non-hostile target.