Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun ban very dissapointed in Murphy's Irish Pub Alexandria VA

Regular Member Geoffrey Griffith's Avatar

New Gun ban very dissapointed in Murphy's Irish Pub Alexandria VA

Having lunch at Murphy's as per my usual. After I get my check the manager and a friend very uncomfortably asks to talk to me. The Owner has decided to ban Guns from the establishment. I feel betrayed. I have spoken with Tom Mooney for years about Guns. He has supported my open carrying in his establishment. So to change his policy and not even have the courtesy to tell me himself (I have known him for 15 years) feels like a betrayal. They are not posting a no guns sign and are not checking customers for concealed weapons. There are concealed carriers drinking every night of the week. Since its not outright visible most people do not notice but I do. It is by far more dangerous not to mention illegal for these individuals to be drinking period more less dunk with a weapon. Hoping to stir up some noise. If you would like to contact them please do so at:
    713 King St, Alexandria VA 22314 (703) 548-1717. You can ask for Kenny Mitchell (manager) or Tom Mooney the owner himself or his son Tommy jr.

I will be going unarmed several nights a week to ensure they are enforcing the policy on the concealed carriers as it is not that hard to see who they are if you just look. If anyone wants to join me I would be happy to meet up with you.
    Geoffrey T Griffith
    "You never fail until you stop trying"

Banned
    Must be a NORTHERN Irish pub.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Don't know that I see the benefit in stirring things up - sounds more like you want to get even for something.

Would think that having a polite conversation with the owner would have a potential greater return and perhaps save other's a measure of difficulty.

Education, not retaliation. If someone doesn't want me in their place of business, I'll gladly go elsewhere. ymmv
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I dont usually add my $.02 to threads like this, but I'm with Grape. I don't know that tattling on other patrons is going to help your cause, tho I see your point and why you would want to do this.

A sensible conversation to see if you can clear this up should suffice.

If not, firmly tell the proprietor that you will gladly give your money to another business that welcomes you and your firearm, and will encourage anyone and everyone you can to do the same.

Such a shame with so many business now coming up as "pro-2A" these days. Sorry your losing your hangout spot bud. Hopefully he'll come around.
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

Founder's Club Member
    Don't investigate for CCers. It will just stir up animosity. And, give the government an opportunity to cage more people for exercising the basic human right of self-defense.

I understand the feeling of betrayal. Maybe call him up and express your entirely legitimate betrayal. Maybe you'll find he wasn't all that much of a friend after all. Maybe you'll get a sincere apology for the oversight of not talking to you personally. Who knows? But, talking to him is better than going straight to rubbing his nose in seeming hypocrisy.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Griffith View Post
    I will be going unarmed several nights a week to ensure they are enforcing the policy on the concealed carriers as it is not that hard to see who they are if you just look. If anyone wants to join me I would be happy to meet up with you.
    Two wrongs do not make a right.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post

Well...actually they usually do but in this case I'm with Grapeshot. If CC'ers or for that much OC'ers are drinking while carrying they're already down one notch in my esteem, but actively looking for them just to get back at the owner of the Pub is a poor plan.

Spend a little of that energy talking your buddy into allowing OC again...maybe with a NO DRINKING with a gun restriction.

Regular Member Geoffrey Griffith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Well...actually they usually do but in this case I'm with Grapeshot. If CC'ers or for that much OC'ers are drinking while carrying they're already down one notch in my esteem, but actively looking for them just to get back at the owner of the Pub is a poor plan.

Spend a little of that energy talking your buddy into allowing OC again...maybe with a NO DRINKING with a gun restriction.

I have tried. They say they have complaints. What they need is complaints for banning guns. I do not want to get and cc'er in trouble. I am not calling the authorities by any means. They say they will loose business if they do not ban weapons and that is bull. If its loss of business they care about they should loose some due to their policies so they can rethink them. Its not about getting back at them. I am not mad at the establishment but I am disappointed in the ownership for not speaking with me themselves first. I have a meeting with the owner this week. Just trying to protect our rights. This is the busiest pub in the area. They just finished in the final 4 for top bars in the DC area in a local poll. If they do it others may start. Its not revenge its politics to protect our rights.
    Geoffrey T Griffith
    "You never fail until you stop trying"

I will be going unarmed several nights a week to ensure they are enforcing the policy on the concealed carriers as it is not that hard to see who they are if you just look.
    So.... they kicked you out of the place for exercising your lawful right to carry, and you plan to go back several times a week, presumably giving them even more money/business??? The phrase 'No Guns = No money' comes to mind...

It might be interesting to see how they feel about an "open carry an empty holster" protest.

Three lefts, however, do.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    It's all spelled out for us:

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth....pi$$ me off and I'll bust your snoot!

Redneck Sunday school, Circa 1961

Education, not retaliation

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Don't know that I see the benefit in stirring things up - sounds more like you want to get even for something.

Would think that having a polite conversation with the owner would have a potential greater return and perhaps save other's a measure of difficulty.

Education, not retaliation. If someone doesn't want me in their place of business, I'll gladly go elsewhere. ymmv
    Grapeshot is right on the money. A polite conversation has been known to accomplish much, especially if the conversation is delivered with reason and, perhaps, a little humor.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    . I don't know that tattling on other patrons is going to help your cause, tho I see your point and why you would want to do this.

+1 Nobody likes tattletales.

Go find another Irish pub .... are there any others (man, I cannot believe I asked that question ~ it needs no answer) ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qzZr9OLKVE

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    So.... they kicked you out of the place for exercising your lawful right to carry, and you plan to go back several times a week, presumably giving them even more money/business??? The phrase 'No Guns = No money' comes to mind...
    Exactly "Sorry you don't want my business anymore, I will make sure to let others know".

I have a meeting with the owner this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    Exactly "Sorry you don't want my business anymore, I will make sure to let others know".
    Before your meeting, perhaps you could take some time to pull up and print out some of the news coverage of the businesses in Virginia that have been SWAMPED with customers when they chose to offer a small discount to gun owners.

And in addition, perhaps an up-to-date entry in the Friend or Foe database (with some appropriate printouts from there as well) to assure him that you and all your "internet friends" will do everything you can to ensure every gun owner respects his wishes to take their business elsewhere. As a courtesy, of course. What else are friends for?

TFred

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Two wrights make an airplane
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Two wrights make an airplane
    Three wrongs also made a plane..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7P2Dl_M7DY

Gentlemen, gentleman - can we please stay on topic. Puns are fun and all that but the 3 Stoogies links.....well a bit too much, especially loud - need an auto volume control tool.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gentlemen, gentleman - can we please stay on topic. Puns are fun and all that but the 3 Stoogies links.....well a bit too much, especially loud - need an auto volume control tool.
    sorry about the volume ... but the 3 stooges? As American as apple pie and a .45 ...

I could not control myself ... I'll try harder next time ...

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    sorry about the volume ... but the 3 stooges? As American as apple pie and a .45 ...

I could not control myself ... I'll try harder next time ...
    'Preciate it - I'm tired an gotta grab a couple of hours before dawn breaks. Gonna met a man about a man and deliver some good will right after breakfast. You all be good now, ya hear!

Quote Originally Posted by ron73440 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Pat Troys in Old Town also kicked me out for OCing. And they are supposedly the big "conservative" Irish pub to dine at. They sure don't like guns though! At least Pat does not.

Irish in this country have never been notable for conservatism, usually union and left.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Having lunch at Murphy's as per my usual. After I get my check the manager and a friend very uncomfortably asks to talk to me. The Owner has decided to ban Guns from the establishment. I feel betrayed. I have spoken with Tom Mooney for years about Guns. He has supported my open carrying in his establishment. So to change his policy and not even have the courtesy to tell me himself (I have known him for 15 years) feels like a betrayal. They are not posting a no guns sign and are not checking customers for concealed weapons. There are concealed carriers drinking every night of the week. Since its not outright visible most people do not notice but I do. It is by far more dangerous not to mention illegal for these individuals to be drinking period more less dunk with a weapon. Hoping to stir up some noise. If you would like to contact them please do so at:
    713 King St, Alexandria VA 22314 (703) 548-1717. You can ask for Kenny Mitchell (manager) or Tom Mooney the owner himself or his son Tommy jr.

called spoke with kenny they are in fact not allowing guns he says its been that way for a long time but they have no sign? and was not willing to have any further convo over the phone expressed my concern and mentioned others that are gaining business by being pro 2a hope this helps
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 04-19-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Fixed formating

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast