• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun ban very dissapointed in Murphy's Irish Pub Alexandria VA

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
sorry about the volume ... but the 3 stooges? As American as apple pie and a .45 ...

I could not control myself ... I'll try harder next time ...

'Preciate it - I'm tired an gotta grab a couple of hours before dawn breaks. Gonna met a man about a man and deliver some good will right after breakfast. You all be good now, ya hear!

richarcm

Pat Troys in Old Town also kicked me out for OCing. And they are supposedly the big "conservative" Irish pub to dine at. They sure don't like guns though! At least Pat does not.

mbhudson

Having lunch at Murphy's as per my usual. After I get my check the manager and a friend very uncomfortably asks to talk to me. The Owner has decided to ban Guns from the establishment. I feel betrayed. I have spoken with Tom Mooney for years about Guns. He has supported my open carrying in his establishment. So to change his policy and not even have the courtesy to tell me himself (I have known him for 15 years) feels like a betrayal. They are not posting a no guns sign and are not checking customers for concealed weapons. There are concealed carriers drinking every night of the week. Since its not outright visible most people do not notice but I do. It is by far more dangerous not to mention illegal for these individuals to be drinking period more less dunk with a weapon. Hoping to stir up some noise. If you would like to contact them please do so at:
713 King St, Alexandria VA 22314 · (703) 548-1717. You can ask for Kenny Mitchell (manager) or Tom Mooney the owner himself or his son Tommy jr.

called spoke with kenny they are in fact not allowing guns he says its been that way for a long time but they have no sign? and was not willing to have any further convo over the phone expressed my concern and mentioned others that are gaining business by being pro 2a hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ron73440

Three lefts, however, do.
Only sometimes....if you make 90 degree turns, okay....but if you're a flip-flopper and always do 180 turns, you're going to get a different end result.

I think he was making tongue-in-cheek reference to something more physical e.g., 3 left jabs or hooks = 1 right cross/hook.

Though that is not the desired way to solve a disagreement, I understand the analogy.

Glockster

I think he was making tongue-in-cheek reference to something more physical e.g., 3 left jabs or hooks = 1 right cross/hook.

Though that is not the desired way to solve a disagreement, I understand the analogy.

Roger that. I was mostly making a political statement about how turning left three times doesn't necessarily mean you end up in the same place as you would if you'd instead turned right. :monkey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

Making three left turns is the same as making a single right turn?
I didn't make such a statement and the good doctor (post above yours) said it did not.

Though it is conceivable that someone could make enough such turns that they would end up not knowing which way they were facing :lol:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...It is by far more dangerous not to mention illegal for these individuals to be drinking...

It may be illegal in your state, but being dangerous is your opinion, and one not universally shared. It is legal and not uncommon in many states.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It may be illegal in your state, but being dangerous is your opinion, and one not universally shared. It is legal and not uncommon in many states.

Point of fact: It is illegal to CC in Va. and consume an alcoholic beverage with certain exceptions for the more elite = law enforcement officers and Commonwealth Atty.s being the primary ones listed.

OTOH - it is not illegal to OC and have a beer or a glass of wine with your meal; although some of us discourage it from a public relations viewpoint.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...OTOH - it is not illegal to OC and have a beer or a glass of wine with your meal; although some of us discourage it from a public relations viewpoint....

I thought I had remembered reading that about VA, but wasn't sure so left the possibility. And public relations may be a very valid point depending on the location; but that is a bit different than inferring an inherent "danger" that should prompt mass snitchings to appease a stricter conscience.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I thought I had remembered reading that about VA, but wasn't sure so left the possibility. And public relations may be a very valid point depending on the location; but that is a bit different than inferring an inherent "danger" that should prompt mass snitchings to appease a stricter conscience.

Well we sure haven' had blood running down the streets - in fact quite the opposite - crime diminished in restaurants.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2011/08/16/211192.htm

http://www.wnd.com/2011/08/334117/

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
Point of fact: It is illegal to CC in Va. and consume an alcoholic beverage with certain exceptions for the more elite = law enforcement officers and Commonwealth Atty.s being the primary ones listed.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Minor correction... It is illegal to CC & drink in an establishment licensed to sell alcohol for on-site consumption. There is nothing in the cite you provided that would legally prohibit one from consuming alcohol elsewhere while CCing.

Roscoe

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-308
Minor correction... It is illegal to CC & drink in an establishment licensed to sell alcohol for on-site consumption. There is nothing in the cite you provided that would legally prohibit one from consuming alcohol elsewhere while CCing.

Roscoe

True, but the entire thread is about carrying in such an establishment and the link provided goes to the meat of the matter.

Geoffrey Griffith

called spoke with kenny they are in fact not allowing guns he says its been that way for a long time but they have no sign? and was not willing to have any further convo over the phone expressed my concern and mentioned others that are gaining business by being pro 2a hope this helps

Yeah I heard you called. It really made him mad. I say good. He is a liar. Tom Mooney the owner has slapped my hip and bought me a drink more than once. No sign out front. Tom (the owner) has set a meeting with me for Thursday at 1pm. No guns allowed was made clear. Empty holster it is I guess. I know they will not change the policy but a sign allowing customers to make a more informed decision is in order. Also I feel the need to express to Tom a man I have admired to understand my disappointment with his decision to compromise his values for what he deems a lucrative move. The fact he will not post a sign shows he understands it will hurt his business. I will report on how the meeting went.

Geoffrey Griffith

Also it looks like my question on facebook got removed. Wonder why?

They always remove negative comments. I asked around if anyone had seen it and a few had before it was removed. I will bring it up on Thursday as well. Thanks to everyone who has raised awareness of the Second Amendment. If no one takes action our rights will be taken. Its a lot of mini battles that help win the war.