• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Gun ban very dissapointed in Murphy's Irish Pub Alexandria VA

Geoffrey Griffith

Having lunch at Murphy's as per my usual. After I get my check the manager and a friend very uncomfortably asks to talk to me. The Owner has decided to ban Guns from the establishment. I feel betrayed. I have spoken with Tom Mooney for years about Guns. He has supported my open carrying in his establishment. So to change his policy and not even have the courtesy to tell me himself (I have known him for 15 years) feels like a betrayal. They are not posting a no guns sign and are not checking customers for concealed weapons. There are concealed carriers drinking every night of the week. Since its not outright visible most people do not notice but I do. It is by far more dangerous not to mention illegal for these individuals to be drinking period more less dunk with a weapon. Hoping to stir up some noise. If you would like to contact them please do so at:
713 King St, Alexandria VA 22314 · (703) 548-1717. You can ask for Kenny Mitchell (manager) or Tom Mooney the owner himself or his son Tommy jr.

I will be going unarmed several nights a week to ensure they are enforcing the policy on the concealed carriers as it is not that hard to see who they are if you just look. If anyone wants to join me I would be happy to meet up with you.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Don't know that I see the benefit in stirring things up - sounds more like you want to get even for something.

Would think that having a polite conversation with the owner would have a potential greater return and perhaps save other's a measure of difficulty.

Education, not retaliation. If someone doesn't want me in their place of business, I'll gladly go elsewhere. ymmv

HearseGuy

I dont usually add my $.02 to threads like this, but I'm with Grape. I don't know that tattling on other patrons is going to help your cause, tho I see your point and why you would want to do this.

A sensible conversation to see if you can clear this up should suffice.

If not, firmly tell the proprietor that you will gladly give your money to another business that welcomes you and your firearm, and will encourage anyone and everyone you can to do the same.

Such a shame with so many business now coming up as "pro-2A" these days. Sorry your losing your hangout spot bud. Hopefully he'll come around.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Don't investigate for CCers. It will just stir up animosity. And, give the government an opportunity to cage more people for exercising the basic human right of self-defense.

I understand the feeling of betrayal. Maybe call him up and express your entirely legitimate betrayal. Maybe you'll find he wasn't all that much of a friend after all. Maybe you'll get a sincere apology for the oversight of not talking to you personally. Who knows? But, talking to him is better than going straight to rubbing his nose in seeming hypocrisy.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Well...actually they usually do :p but in this case I'm with Grapeshot. If CC'ers or for that much OC'ers are drinking while carrying they're already down one notch in my esteem, but actively looking for them just to get back at the owner of the Pub is a poor plan.

Spend a little of that energy talking your buddy into allowing OC again...maybe with a NO DRINKING with a gun restriction.

Geoffrey Griffith

Well...actually they usually do :p but in this case I'm with Grapeshot. If CC'ers or for that much OC'ers are drinking while carrying they're already down one notch in my esteem, but actively looking for them just to get back at the owner of the Pub is a poor plan.

Spend a little of that energy talking your buddy into allowing OC again...maybe with a NO DRINKING with a gun restriction.

I have tried. They say they have complaints. What they need is complaints for banning guns. I do not want to get and cc'er in trouble. I am not calling the authorities by any means. They say they will loose business if they do not ban weapons and that is bull. If its loss of business they care about they should loose some due to their policies so they can rethink them. Its not about getting back at them. I am not mad at the establishment but I am disappointed in the ownership for not speaking with me themselves first. I have a meeting with the owner this week. Just trying to protect our rights. This is the busiest pub in the area. They just finished in the final 4 for top bars in the DC area in a local poll. If they do it others may start. Its not revenge its politics to protect our rights.

Blk97F150

I will be going unarmed several nights a week to ensure they are enforcing the policy on the concealed carriers as it is not that hard to see who they are if you just look.

So.... they kicked you out of the place for exercising your lawful right to carry, and you plan to go back several times a week, presumably giving them even more money/business??? :confused: The phrase 'No Guns = No money' comes to mind...

fjpro2a

Education, not retaliation

Don't know that I see the benefit in stirring things up - sounds more like you want to get even for something.

Would think that having a polite conversation with the owner would have a potential greater return and perhaps save other's a measure of difficulty.

Education, not retaliation. If someone doesn't want me in their place of business, I'll gladly go elsewhere. ymmv
Grapeshot is right on the money. A polite conversation has been known to accomplish much, especially if the conversation is delivered with reason and, perhaps, a little humor.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
So.... they kicked you out of the place for exercising your lawful right to carry, and you plan to go back several times a week, presumably giving them even more money/business??? :confused: The phrase 'No Guns = No money' comes to mind...

Exactly "Sorry you don't want my business anymore, I will make sure to let others know".

TFred

I have a meeting with the owner this week.

Exactly "Sorry you don't want my business anymore, I will make sure to let others know".
Before your meeting, perhaps you could take some time to pull up and print out some of the news coverage of the businesses in Virginia that have been SWAMPED with customers when they chose to offer a small discount to gun owners.

And in addition, perhaps an up-to-date entry in the Friend or Foe database (with some appropriate printouts from there as well) to assure him that you and all your "internet friends" will do everything you can to ensure every gun owner respects his wishes to take their business elsewhere. As a courtesy, of course. What else are friends for? :)

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gentlemen, gentleman - can we please stay on topic. Puns are fun and all that but the 3 Stoogies links.....well a bit too much, especially loud - need an auto volume control tool. :(

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gentlemen, gentleman - can we please stay on topic. Puns are fun and all that but the 3 Stoogies links.....well a bit too much, especially loud - need an auto volume control tool. :(

sorry about the volume ... but the 3 stooges? As American as apple pie and a .45 ...

I could not control myself ... I'll try harder next time ...