• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to FL from TN

theTacticalstudent

Hi guys,

So I am going to be traveling from TN, to Florida through Georgia soon, and would like to know the legalities for having firearms with me. I am under 21 with no CCW Permit - but still would like to travel armed. I understand the TN laws like the back of my hand, so I would like to focus on the FL and GA laws. I always travel with a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, so I understand how to travel with it unloaded. If you guys could help me out with the following, I would appreciate it!

1. In Georgia and Florida, am I legal to keep a loaded handgun in the glove box?
2. (If pulled over) Am I required by law to notify the officer?
3. What are the legalities of me keeping the loaded handgun in a hotel room, and transporting it to/from the vehicle?

I appreciate all your help! Thanks in advance.

conandan

Hi guys,

So I am going to be traveling from TN, to Florida through Georgia soon, and would like to know the legalities for having firearms with me. I am under 21 with no CCW Permit - but still would like to travel armed. I understand the TN laws like the back of my hand, so I would like to focus on the FL and GA laws. I always travel with a Ruger 10/22 Takedown, so I understand how to travel with it unloaded. If you guys could help me out with the following, I would appreciate it!

1. In Georgia and Florida, am I legal to keep a loaded handgun in the glove box?
3. What are the legalities of me keeping the loaded handgun in a hotel room, and transporting it to/from the vehicle?

You can have it loaded in glove box or console or luggage in both states
You are not required to inform unless asked.
In florida a hotel room is an extension of your home not sure about Georgia. But in both states you can move it from vehicle to room with no trouble.

conandan

Should have paid more attention about your age. In florida 21 is the min age to have a handgun.

notalawyer

Hi guys,

http://handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf
http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

1. Florida = Yes
2. Florida = No
3. Florida = Legal to keep in Hotel, technically illegal to transport it through the common areas/parking lot to car. However, since it's legal in the car and in the Hotel, any court would have to rule it would be absurd to prevent you from going from one to the other. Also, in practice, if it's in a nondescript bag, how would anyone ever see it for it to become a problem? Also there is also "I do not consent to any searches." statement.

notalawyer

Should have paid more attention about your age. In florida 21 is the min age to have a handgun.

Wrong.

790.25(5)
POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
. . .

790.17(2)(a)
 A person may not knowingly or willfully sell or transfer a firearm to a minor under 18 years of age. . .

Note the use of the word 'firearm' as opposed to 'rifle', 'shotgun', 'handgun', etc.

Sale or transfer of arms to minors by dealers.—It is unlawful for any dealer in arms to sell or transfer to a minor any firearm, pistol, Springfield rifle or other repeating rifle, bowie knife or dirk knife, brass knuckles, slungshot, or electric weapon or device.
. . .

Note, the use of the word 'minor'.

Last edited:

theTacticalstudent

I appreciate all of the help! It's sad that I have more of a right to self-defense on a vacation, than everyday life back home! Will be taking my firearm. Thanks!

conandan

I stand corected... I just went by what a sheriff told me not to long ago. My son used my truck and my glock was in the center console. My son is 19 and got pulled over cop asked if there were any weapons in the truck and he said yes. I got a phone call from the officer to confirm it was my gun and that I needed to come get it because my son wasn't 21 and could not have the gun in the truck. When I got there officer checked my ID and returned my gun, with a little lecture about my gun in the truck. And my son is active military just got back from Afghanistan.

shastadude17

Too lazy to read the above posts so I'll just answer the OP's question:

In FL if you are 18 with no concealed weapons permit, you are authorized to keep a loaded firearm in your glove box, locked or unlocked. Other authorized locations are any place where it can be "securely encased", which is defined as basically anything with a lid, a door, a zipper, etc...something you would have to open to get to. As said, it does not have to be LOCKED in said compartment. Even with my CCW permit, I often carry in the glove box because it's easier for me to reach over and open the glove box and grab it if I need to, rather than take off my seat belt and wiggle around to reach it. You do not need to notify a LEO if stopped, however if they ask, it would be wise to answer honestly. I have gotten out of citations because I notified a LEO immediately upon the stop that I was carrying (I hate doing this as a Libertarian, but I also hate paying tickets or making a stop awkward if it's discovered I have one and didn't notify). LEO's generally appreciate it, as it will generally help put your mind at ease that "Hey, I'm dealing with a law abiding citizen."

When I was in the academy during the traffic stop portion, we had a Sergeant from the local sheriff's office traffic unit come out as an instructor. His logic, whether you agree with it or not, is that if he stops someone and they notify him that they have a firearm, they get a warning. "You save my life, I save you money." A lot of cops feel that way, as most cops are generally pro-2A.

Got pulled over February, 2012 by Lake County S.O. here in FL on my way to my Nat. Guard drill on a Friday night. I was in the middle of nowhere on a country road, didn't realize I was going 80, and didn't know the speed limit was only 55. I honestly thought it was 60 or 65, and thought I was going about 65 70. Just listening to some tunes and thinking about how there is a million other things I'd rather be doing on a Friday night. I come around a long bend, and pass a deputy on this two lane road going the opposite direction. It's still dusk, and I see his brake lights light up my mirror, and he goes off into the dirt, flips a 180 to come back in my direction now...this is when I say "Oh ****" and look at my speedometer and it said 82 or something. I immediately pull over because I know where this is heading and get out my license and registration. He obviously flips on his lights and pulls up behind me, and I'm just wondering how I'm going to pay this ticket.
Deputy: Hey man, I just pulled 2 of your buddies over (I'm in my uniform)...how many more of you am I gonna pull over tonight?
He said it in a real joking manner and I couldn't help but laugh. I apologized, told him I wasn't really paying attention to my speed, and he notified me that I was going 80 in a 55...
Needless to say I thought I was screwed...I told him as I handed him my license and registration that I had a gun in my glove box and he said "I don't care, fine with me"...got a written warning. Like a boss.

Last war story here...got pulled over by FHP 2 weeks ago. Dialogue went like this:
Trooper: I need to see your license and registration please, you have a headlight out.
Me: Okay but before I go reaching for anything I want to let you know---
Trooper: You have a firearm on you.
Me: Yes.
Trooper: Okay not a problem bud, go ahead and hand it to me. Where's it at?
Me: My right hip.
Trooper: Ok yep just hand it to me.
Me: ...you want me to just hand it to you?
Trooper: Yep, go ahead.
Me: You don't want me to get out and you can take it off of me?
Trooper: Nope, go ahead and just hand it to me.
Me: Uhh, okay. *Awkwardly and slowly reaches for Glock 27 on right hip with left hand, hands him Glock 27 in the holster*
Trooper examines weapon with his flashlight.
Trooper: Oh very nice, a Glock is a fine weapon...I'll be right back.
Brings me back a written warning, handed me back my weapon in the exact same condition I had handed it to him in...meaning 9 in the mag and 1 in the chamber :] I thanked him for letting me know that my headlight was out, and I was on my way. At first he was very stand-offish as any LEO should be on a traffic stop, and after I notified him that I had a firearm he almost seemed relieved and became quite a friendly guy.

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

I stand corected... I just went by what a sheriff told me not to long ago. My son used my truck and my glock was in the center console. My son is 19 and got pulled over cop asked if there were any weapons in the truck and he said yes. I got a phone call from the officer to confirm it was my gun and that I needed to come get it because my son wasn't 21 and could not have the gun in the truck. When I got there officer checked my ID and returned my gun, with a little lecture about my gun in the truck. And my son is active military just got back from Afghanistan.

Sorry for the inconvenience you experienced. The Sheriff was incorrect. The only thing being 21 does for you is allow you to purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
Military and Vets under 21 can also get a concealed carry license in FL now. As for the deputy who detained your son while you came to get the gun... How long ago was that and where?

conandan

Military and Vets under 21 can also get a concealed carry license in FL now. As for the deputy who detained your son while you came to get the gun... How long ago was that and where?

It was in Alachua county outside of Gainesville. It was only about 30 min. Most of that was me driving over there. I wish I could rememder the officers name. He was nice. But I guess he was not up to speed on the law either. I didn't think my gun in my truck while my son was driving it was a problem. Now that I know its legal if it happens again I know what to do.