• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ras

njkennelly

So my Google machine does seem to be cooperating tonight. Can someone please point me to the RAS Statutes?

1245A Defender

And,,,

A Case big in measuring and restricting cops rights, is Florida Vs. J.L.
A Case about driving and keeping the cops out of your hair, is peters Vs. ????cant recall.
And there is good one to stop papers please stops, Hieble Vs. ???again.
Wow I do feel uneducated now...

njkennelly

Thank you. I will read it. One more question...because I am not an expert (probably don't even meet novice standards) I've heard the term "Case Law". Does a ruling in Ohio hold weight in other states, like NV for example?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Thank you. I will read it. One more question...because I am not an expert (probably don't even meet novice standards) I've heard the term "Case Law". Does a ruling in Ohio hold weight in other states, like NV for example?

Real case law is made at scotus,,, but it came from a state, thus the name, terry Vs. Ohio, now it applies to all states!
All the cases in my posts are scotus, they apply to all!

The Big Guy

NRS 171.123  Temporary detention by peace officer
of person suspected of criminal behavior or of violating conditions of parole or
probation: Limitations.

1.  Any peace officer may detain any person whom the
officer encounters under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the person
has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime.

2.  Any peace officer may detain any person the officer
encounters under circumstances which reasonably indicate that the person has
violated or is violating the conditions of the person’s parole or probation.

3.  The officer may detain the person pursuant to this
section only to ascertain the person’s identity and the suspicious circumstances
surrounding the person’s presence abroad. Any person so detained shall identify
himself or herself, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of any
peace officer.

4.  A person must not be detained longer than is
reasonably necessary to effect the purposes of this section, and in no event
longer than 60 minutes. The detention must not extend beyond the place or the
immediate vicinity of the place where the detention was first effected, unless
the person is arrested.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 535; A 1973, 597; 1975, 1200;
1987, 1172; 1995, 2068)

davidmcbeth

Banned

It could even w/o a SCOTUS case .... would hold more weight if NV is silent on this issue examined

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA

A state court ruling only hold in that state.

A Federal District court ruling holds in that District and no others.

Courts in other states may take "judicial notice" of a ruling from another court in making a ruling, but the other court has no authority.

A US Supreme Court decision holds in the United States and all possessions (including embassies, consulates, military bases, etc).