• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newport News Shooting - Claimed as AD

Glockster

WVEC news this morning reported that a Newport News man, 24 year old Ashton Wells, shot his girlfriend in the stomach. Wells reportedly told police that he was putting away his handgun when it accidentally went off, although he has been arrested for the shooting.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
"Accidentally" as in he did not purposely shoot her?

Or "accidentally" as in there was a mechanical malfunction of the mechanism that would have rsulted in the firearm discharging regardless of how it was handled?

Does anybody remember why there are three (3) rules* of firearm safety? So that even if you violate one it is unlikely that something bad will result. Violate two and there is still a chance that nobody will get hurt (except for their pride and their hearing).

stay safe.

* - Of course all firearms are loaded. Or they should be. Unless I am willing to bet my life on your safe gun handling (which I will be doing) I will unload a gun before passing physical possession on to another person. I will also check to make sure any gun passed to my physical possession is loaded so that I know it is ready for immediate use. When it comes time to handle a firearm for reasons that do not involve shooting it I will unload it because those cartridges seem to get in the way of all sorts of stuff - cleaning the barrel is a good example.:D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That is precisely why I have always (well for a long time now) made a distinction between an AD (equipment failure) and an ND negligent discharge (operator failure).

If the operator does his job properly and follows the safety rules, an AD will hopefully only be a source of cursing and embarrassment + momma might be mad about that hole in her polished wood floor.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder if they'll still be together later? Come-on baby, ya can't complain about everything...

Problem is of course, that if he isn't a prohibited person with a gun, such reports in the media reflect on us all. Too soon to tell how this will turn out until more information is made available.

Someone getting shot is never funny to me - sometimes justified, sometimes excuseable - but if the party that gets hit is an innocent, that just makes it all the worse...........that and you know that has got to hurt a LOT.

I have snickered once or twice though, but that was my bad. :(

palerider116

Accidental is beyond your control. Oops

Negligent is shooting your girlfriend in the stomach.

We need a new term: Neglidental. It's being accidentally negligent when having a desk pop.

kenny

Accidental to me means something that could have been prevented. Of course preventing something requires an engineering approach or human intervention. We often use to hear the word term traffic accident. Now we are more likely to hear the term traffic crash. Perhaps it is time to stop using the word accidental?

Last edited:

Glockster

Yeah, and I kinda reported this for two reasons -- the first being the news of it, the second being that WVEC reported it (I think) as they were told it -- "accidential."

Of course, in the very next sentence the anchor stated that the Senate vote on background checks for "all gun purchases" should be voted on this week. I know we have our own opinion about this and that it may well defacto result in that, but the fact is that the bill actually doesn't say "all gun purchases."

As it is in Hampton Roads and as I'm sure that it is elsewhere, it seems that the mangling of the news by both TV and print contributes to many of "our problems."

Old Virginia Joe

As it is in Hampton Roads and as I'm sure that it is elsewhere, it seems that the mangling of the news by both TV and print contributes to many of "our problems."

Oh, yeah, you got that right---have you ever known or been around any reporters? I have. My experience shows them to be people who cannot write a sentence with proper verb/subject agreement (and they make their freakin living on the written word!), they have problems with debt, they don't hold a job for very long, they have a hard time living on their own, etc., etc. And yet, they get to write the history of our civilization every day, through THEIR eyes. They eventually end up commenting on current events via TV news and print editorials, and people like some of my kin fall right in line with some of their liberal views. I'm sick by the idea of how much people like them influence our culture, in spite of their pathetic credentials and inability to decently run their own lives.

CharlesC

Isn't it amazing how many times the media likes to say "the gun just went off".

Of course the media only push this refrain to reinforce the idea that guns are dangerous and can just "go off" at any time.

va_tazdad

Omg,

Isn't it amazing how many times the media likes to say "the gun just went off".

Of course the media only push this refrain to reinforce the idea that guns are dangerous and can just "go off" at any time.

He must have owned one of those "evil assault weapons" that the Victicrats spew about, not a gun.

Accidental, NO. Negligent, YES !!!!!!!