Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police investigate report of gunman on Wisconsin college campus Read more: http://w

Police investigate report of gunman on Wisconsin college campus Read more: http://w

Gunman on campus. Not known if he was an CCL holder or just OCing. I hope it is actually a gunman looking for trouble and not a law abiding citizen

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16...ollege-campus/

Police investigate report of gunman on Wisconsin college campus

Gunman on campus. Not known if he was an CCL holder or just OCing. I hope it is actually a gunman looking for trouble and not a law abiding citizen

Looks like it was a man in his 50's with an air soft type non firearm.

Don't Stoke the Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Law abider View Post
    Gunman on campus.
    No. Perhaps a man possessing a firearm. There is no indication of shots fired or brandishing or any threatening behavior. It could be someone walking by with a holstered pistol.

Not known if he was an CCL holder or just OCing.
    Which is why you should not react like the news media.

I hope it is actually a gunman looking for trouble and not a law abiding citizen]
    Are you kidding? Why would you wish for a bad guy with deadly force? A law abiding citizen - CWL or not would not be a threat to anyone. Isn't that what OCDO preaches?

Is Carroll private or public? Was this incident indoors or outdoors? Was the area posted? There are a lot of important and interesting questions to be asked. Going into mindless panic mode is of no value.

"Student Affairs administrative assistant Yolanda Medina says no one is allowed to leave the campus buildings while the report is investigated. Classes were canceled."

Really? From where does the authority to detain everybody come? That is the scary part of the report. Update:

The Carroll University campus in on lockdown at this time after two students reported seeing a man with a “long gun” on campus just before 10:40 a.m. today.

The Waukesha Police Department arrived on the scene quickly and is working with Carroll Public Safety Department officers to locate the man.

He is described as white, in his 50s or 60s, wearing a brown jacket and a black hat.
    Of course, some people would say that Dirty Harry carried a "long gun" - at least the hat color is traditionally appropriate.

Generally Speaking

One thread on a subject is sufficient. Perhaps an all powerful administrator can merge?

http://www.wisn.com/news/Lockdown-li...?absolute=true

Guy had an airsoft rifle...

Why was he taken into custody?!

Oremus said they are fairly certain the man taken into custody is the same man spotted near campus earlier in the morning. He was not yet certain whether anything illegal had taken place.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/203215411.html

it was an airsoft and it was found at his home
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    No.
    Are you kidding? Why would you wish for a bad guy with deadly force? A law abiding citizen - CWL or not would not be a threat to anyone. Isn't that what OCDO preaches?
    That was not what I meant. What I meant was: If there really is a guy walking around with a gun, let's hope it is really is a bad guy and not a law abider Ocing or one who has a CCL and some unreasonably fearful citizen calling police over nothing. My logic came from this, if it makes sense to you:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...of-boy-scouts/

I hope it is actually a gunman looking for trouble and not a law abiding citizen
    Finally you have an actual Wisconsin topic to post in the Wisconsin forum, and you talk like a complete ****** bag. WTF.

That was not what I meant. What I meant was: If there really is a guy walking around with a gun, let's hope it is really is a bad guy and not a law abider Ocing or one who has a CCL and some unreasonably fearful citizen calling police over nothing. My logic came from this, if it makes sense to you:
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...of-boy-scouts/
    That doesn't change the level of idiocy in your original statement. Consider you're still suggesting a bad person killing people is preferable to the inconvenience of police contact for a law abiding citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    Finally you have an actual Wisconsin topic to post in the Wisconsin forum, and you talk like a complete ****** bag. WTF.
    Trip20 why are you angry? I thought we all are comrades in arms. I realize we misunderstand each other. If I do more, please forgive me. It is the Christian thing to do.

One thread on a subject is sufficient. Perhaps an all powerful administrator can merge?
    I don't even know how that happened. Sorry.

I'm not misunderstanding a thing. You clarified your original statement and it still has the same glaring issue.

Understand that your words are read by many. The opinions, statements, thoughts and musings you express represent -- not by choice I assure you -- a huge community of people much larger than this forum. I'll speak for myself in saying it pisses me off when someone can point to your idiotic comments and liken it to "people like me". You know... "gun nuts" like us, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trip20 View Post
    I'm not misunderstanding a thing. You clarified your original statement and it still has the same glaring issue.

Understand that your words are read by many. The opinions, statements, thoughts and musings you express represent -- not by choice I assure you -- a huge community of people much larger than this forum. I'll speak for myself in saying it pisses me off when someone can point to your idiotic comments and liken it to "people like me". You know... "gun nuts" like us, right?
    I understand that what I wrote makes you angry. We all write in different styles. However your anger is something they too will notice with the choice of words you use and they will connect the dots and say that these gun nuts are very angry people and they need to be watched and their guns taken away. We must respect our unique personalities and refrain from angry outbursts when communicating over this blog too. If you disagree please send me a PM and take your anger out on me in it. It is time we meet face to face over coffee or a meal and you teach me proper blog etiquette. Fair enough? When the snow is gone and I have planted my garden by mid may. set up a date.

Banned
    "Text from Carroll:: Not a test There is a report of a male with a firearm walking near the tennis courts and the Barstow Building on Barstow. remain indoors until further notice"

Since the "r" was not capitalized and the missing period after "test" I would have assumed that the message was a hoax. This is a college right? Ain't they got no good grammer?

McX
    i hear the squirrels are hell there this time of the year. firearm equal bang, air pooty dont count.

McX
    Last edited by McX; 04-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Angry

I was seeing this on the 11:00 news & wondering WTH was going on out there.
    2 students report seeing a guy walking through (or maybe past, depending on which report) campus with a long gun.
    No report of him threatening anyone with it, just walking.
    Yet the campus (and some nearby public schools, and the school district offices) shuts down.
    If someone were intending mischief, here he's done nothing illegal and gotten a wonderful reaction! Hey, do it again! More people will do it! [/sarcasm]

And what is this about not letting people out of whatever building they're in? Kidnapping, surely.
    Then they find the guy they think was involved, find that it was an airsoft gun, arrest him, cuff & stuff him... then announce they'll see if he's done anything wrong.
    How about you work that out BEFORE arresting the poor guy??
    I doubt they could even say that it's DC, because he didn't do anything - it was the people who saw him who caused the problem, it was the campus authorities who shut everything down, he was just walking. (Again, nobody is saying that he was being threatening.)
    Even if it were real, the peaceful exercise of a protected civil right is not a crime, not RAS of a crime.

ETA: news today reports that it was an air gun (no idea which is the accurate description), and the guy has been ticketed for DC. >
    Last edited by MKEgal; 04-17-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Famous Carroll U. Alumnus

Did anybody know that Fred MacMurray was a Carroll University grad (and grew up in Beaver Dam)? I can't prove it of course but think he would have gotten his WI CWL early on. What's that? Nobody gives a rat's ass about Fred MacMurray? I don't care - he was one of my favorites. And Tina Cole was incredibly hot - so there!

If you disagree please send me a PM and take your anger out on me in it.
    Under other circumstances I'd agree. Unfortunately, comments such as yours in this thread must be addressed publicly. This ensures readers know the brand of ignorance displayed is not the norm and that those statements do not reflect the community sentiment.

It is time we meet face to face over coffee or a meal and you teach me proper blog etiquette. Fair enough? When the snow is gone and I have planted my garden by mid may. set up a date.
    My chastising you in this case has nothing to do with forum etiquette. I do so for the reasons I've specified multiple times in this thread. Forum etiquette is something you do not seem interested in practicing as evident by your continued posting of non-Wisconsin related topics in the Wisconsin sub-forum, even after multiple members have tried to persuade you otherwise.

If your face-to-face meeting suggestion is in any way meant to intimidate or threaten in a veiled fashion, please know you've failed. If you'd like to continue down that road I suggest you take it to PM.
    Last edited by Trip20; 04-17-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Is Carroll private or public? Was this incident indoors or outdoors? Was the area posted?
    He was seen by two students near the Kilgour-Trailblazer Tennis Center on the northwest corner of the campus at 10:33 a.m. with what appeared to be a rifle, Oremus said.
    If this was a long gun, they do not have to post and your license does not cover it. The UW system has a no weapons policy, Caroll likely also does..
    Last edited by Interceptor_Knight; 04-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.

That gun is as long as my...

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    If this was a long gun, they do not have to post and your license does not cover it. The UW system has a no weapons policy, Caroll likely also does..
    one of my sentences. You make good points but at the time of posting nothing was fer shure. As I suggested earlier, to the general public a S&W 29 is a "long gun" and might be reported as such. Non-CWL weapons would fall under the general trespass provisions (or other law), so there would still have to either a statutory prohibition for a crime to have occurred or sufficient notice for trespass charges to be brought. I also note that administrative rules cannot trump the constitution.

Ceasefire?

Trip20 and Law Abider - Both of you have set out your opinions and further public feuding would be counterproductive. If you wish to continue, I respectfully suggest you take it private at this point. I am beginning to regret having commented at all. Takeaways:

1. Be careful about how you express opinions. Ask yourself could this fairly interpreted in a way that I am not intending? Double/triple check facts. Indicate if something you say is speculation (if not otherwise obvious that it is).

2. Respond/correct to posts positively and specifically. It might be advisable to privately inquire what the poster is trying to say. Being "firstest" is of no value if what is posted/replied is misleading, inflammatory or just plain wrong.

I know that I have failed on numerous occasions to live up to these standards as I am a congenital smartass but I am continually trying to improve.

Trip20 and Law Abider - Both of you have set out your opinions and further public feuding would be counterproductive. If you wish to continue, I respectfully suggest you take it private at this point. I am beginning to regret having commented at all. Takeaways:

1. Be careful about how you express opinions. Ask yourself could this fairly interpreted in a way that I am not intending? Double/triple check facts. Indicate if something you say is speculation (if not otherwise obvious that it is).

2. Respond/correct to posts positively and specifically. It might be advisable to privately inquire what the poster is trying to say. Being "firstest" is of no value if what is posted/replied is misleading, inflammatory or just plain wrong.

I know that I have failed on numerous occasions to live up to these standards as I am a congenital smartass but I am continually trying to improve.
    I agree. I did say to trip20 to PM and decided to meet him but he considers that a threat. Let the moderator decide if my posts are off topic. If Trip20 doesn't like my post Don't respond. Send a PM. No one wants to be controlled by anyone.

Anyway. There is an element of overreaction on that campus because of gun phobia that has been preached in schools and colleges for decades. One is considered a criminal if a gun is seed on his hip, or in this case an air pellet gun. I see smokers treated the same way: like it is a crime that they smoke. Many of you have said that in the old days they could bring a gun to school to go hunting or trade etc... That tradition seems to be long gone.

Carroll is a private college and apparently has a statement in their student handbook that nobody is allowed to be on campus (in buildings, in the open, nowhere) if in possession of a 'weapon'.

But the statutes are somewhat contradictory.

943.13 is the trespass statute: it is a class B forfeiture if
    943.13(1m)(c)(3)
    While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential building, or land that the actor does not own or occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land, if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm.
    That section also specifically allows having a firearm in a vehicle.

943.13(1m)(c)(5) is the only one which specifically mentions a college
    Enters or remains in any privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, if the university or college has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the building while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a person who leases residential or business premises in the building...
    also allows firearms in vehicles, says nothing about being allowed to prohibit people from the grounds.
    If the first thing I quoted covered the building & grounds of a college, why add this section?
    And if this is all that covers colleges, then they're not allowed to prohibit people from the grounds.

But then there's 943.13(1m)(b)
    Enters or remains on any land of another after having been notified by the owner or occupant not to enter or remain on the premises. This paragraph does not apply to a licensee or out-of-state licensee if the owner's or occupant's intent is to prevent the licensee or out-of-state licensee from carrying a firearm on the owner's or occupant's land.
    Seems to apply to any land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast