• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police investigate report of gunman on Wisconsin college campus Read more: http://w

Yetiman

Looks like it was a man in his 50's with an air soft type non firearm.

apjonas

Don't Stoke the Fire

Gunman on campus.

No. Perhaps a man possessing a firearm. There is no indication of shots fired or brandishing or any threatening behavior. It could be someone walking by with a holstered pistol.

Not known if he was an CCL holder or just OCing.

Which is why you should not react like the news media.

I hope it is actually a gunman looking for trouble and not a law abiding citizen]

Are you kidding? Why would you wish for a bad guy with deadly force? A law abiding citizen - CWL or not would not be a threat to anyone. Isn't that what OCDO preaches?

Is Carroll private or public? Was this incident indoors or outdoors? Was the area posted? There are a lot of important and interesting questions to be asked. Going into mindless panic mode is of no value.

"Student Affairs administrative assistant Yolanda Medina says no one is allowed to leave the campus buildings while the report is investigated. Classes were canceled."

Really? From where does the authority to detain everybody come? That is the scary part of the report. Update:

The Carroll University campus in on lockdown at this time after two students reported seeing a man with a “long gun” on campus just before 10:40 a.m. today.

The Waukesha Police Department arrived on the scene quickly and is working with Carroll Public Safety Department officers to locate the man.

He is described as white, in his 50s or 60s, wearing a brown jacket and a black hat.

Of course, some people would say that Dirty Harry carried a "long gun" - at least the hat color is traditionally appropriate.

Law abider

No.
Are you kidding? Why would you wish for a bad guy with deadly force? A law abiding citizen - CWL or not would not be a threat to anyone. Isn't that what OCDO preaches?

That was not what I meant. What I meant was: If there really is a guy walking around with a gun, let's hope it is really is a bad guy and not a law abider Ocing or one who has a CCL and some unreasonably fearful citizen calling police over nothing. My logic came from this, if it makes sense to you:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...cer-pulled-gun-on-him-in-front-of-boy-scouts/

Trip20

That was not what I meant. What I meant was: If there really is a guy walking around with a gun, let's hope it is really is a bad guy and not a law abider Ocing or one who has a CCL and some unreasonably fearful citizen calling police over nothing. My logic came from this, if it makes sense to you:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...cer-pulled-gun-on-him-in-front-of-boy-scouts/

That doesn't change the level of idiocy in your original statement. Consider you're still suggesting a bad person killing people is preferable to the inconvenience of police contact for a law abiding citizen.

Law abider

Finally you have an actual Wisconsin topic to post in the Wisconsin forum, and you talk like a complete ****** bag. WTF.

Trip20 why are you angry? I thought we all are comrades in arms. I realize we misunderstand each other. If I do more, please forgive me. It is the Christian thing to do.

Trip20

I'm not misunderstanding a thing. You clarified your original statement and it still has the same glaring issue.

Understand that your words are read by many. The opinions, statements, thoughts and musings you express represent -- not by choice I assure you -- a huge community of people much larger than this forum. I'll speak for myself in saying it pisses me off when someone can point to your idiotic comments and liken it to "people like me". You know... "gun nuts" like us, right?

Law abider

I'm not misunderstanding a thing. You clarified your original statement and it still has the same glaring issue.

Understand that your words are read by many. The opinions, statements, thoughts and musings you express represent -- not by choice I assure you -- a huge community of people much larger than this forum. I'll speak for myself in saying it pisses me off when someone can point to your idiotic comments and liken it to "people like me". You know... "gun nuts" like us, right?

I understand that what I wrote makes you angry. We all write in different styles. However your anger is something they too will notice with the choice of words you use and they will connect the dots and say that these gun nuts are very angry people and they need to be watched and their guns taken away. We must respect our unique personalities and refrain from angry outbursts when communicating over this blog too. If you disagree please send me a PM and take your anger out on me in it. It is time we meet face to face over coffee or a meal and you teach me proper blog etiquette. Fair enough? When the snow is gone and I have planted my garden by mid may. set up a date.

davidmcbeth

Banned
"Text from Carroll:: Not a test There is a report of a male with a firearm walking near the tennis courts and the Barstow Building on Barstow. remain indoors until further notice"

Since the "r" was not capitalized and the missing period after "test" I would have assumed that the message was a hoax. This is a college right? Ain't they got no good grammer?

M

McX

i hear the squirrels are hell there this time of the year. firearm equal bang, air pooty dont count.

MKEgal

I was seeing this on the 11:00 news & wondering WTH was going on out there.
2 students report seeing a guy walking through (or maybe past, depending on which report) campus with a long gun.
No report of him threatening anyone with it, just walking.
Yet the campus (and some nearby public schools, and the school district offices) shuts down.
If someone were intending mischief, here he's done nothing illegal and gotten a wonderful reaction! Hey, do it again! More people will do it! [/sarcasm]

And what is this about not letting people out of whatever building they're in? Kidnapping, surely.
Then they find the guy they think was involved, find that it was an airsoft gun, arrest him, cuff & stuff him... then announce they'll see if he's done anything wrong. :mad: :exclaim:
How about you work that out BEFORE arresting the poor guy??
I doubt they could even say that it's DC, because he didn't do anything - it was the people who saw him who caused the problem, it was the campus authorities who shut everything down, he was just walking. (Again, nobody is saying that he was being threatening.)
Even if it were real, the peaceful exercise of a protected civil right is not a crime, not RAS of a crime.

ETA: news today reports that it was an air gun (no idea which is the accurate description), and the guy has been ticketed for DC. :mad:

Last edited:

apjonas

Famous Carroll U. Alumnus

Did anybody know that Fred MacMurray was a Carroll University grad (and grew up in Beaver Dam)? I can't prove it of course but think he would have gotten his WI CWL early on. What's that? Nobody gives a rat's ass about Fred MacMurray? I don't care - he was one of my favorites. And Tina Cole was incredibly hot - so there!

Trip20

If you disagree please send me a PM and take your anger out on me in it.

Under other circumstances I'd agree. Unfortunately, comments such as yours in this thread must be addressed publicly. This ensures readers know the brand of ignorance displayed is not the norm and that those statements do not reflect the community sentiment.

It is time we meet face to face over coffee or a meal and you teach me proper blog etiquette. Fair enough? When the snow is gone and I have planted my garden by mid may. set up a date.

My chastising you in this case has nothing to do with forum etiquette. I do so for the reasons I've specified multiple times in this thread. Forum etiquette is something you do not seem interested in practicing as evident by your continued posting of non-Wisconsin related topics in the Wisconsin sub-forum, even after multiple members have tried to persuade you otherwise.

If your face-to-face meeting suggestion is in any way meant to intimidate or threaten in a veiled fashion, please know you've failed. If you'd like to continue down that road I suggest you take it to PM.

Last edited: