• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This Is What We Are Up Against

user

Accomplished Advocate
Yup, insufficient understanding of the world and insufficient imagination to think of the possibilities for violent threats, even in grocery stores (and schools, and universities, and federal offices) to grasp the nature of the situation. This person is being controlled by emotional reactions and is not in control of her own thoughts. Nothing we can do about that, it's a mental disorder. But you may as well be angry and disgusted by a dog just because it's a dog. It is what it is, and there's no point in worrying about it.

ridgerunner98570

Oh, because he didn't have on a uniform, he was automatically confrontational. But with a uniform, it is A-OK. ;)
I wonder if she would have been more comfortable with Nidal Malik Hasan the 39 year old Army Major that killed 13 and wounded more than 30 soldiers at Fort Hood. He was in uniform.

Minnie Fleming is a woman in her late 60's that has most likely lived in a large city all her life. She is probably used to the media accounts of how the police arrive in the nick of time to stop crime. She would probably be astonished to learn that the average response time for the police in large cities is eleven minutes. That's a long time to try to stay alive when someone is trying to kill or rape you. And of course that response time only counts if the victim was able to phone for the police in the first place. She also would be shocked to learn that the U.S. Supreme Court in an opinion decided that the police have no obligation to protect citizens (Castle Rock v. Gonzales), 545 U.S. 748 (2005). They are only required to enforce laws. And even then they are exempt from enforcing laws if they are undercover or on a stakeout where thier cover might be blown. They can legally sit there and watch you be killed and do nothing to prevent it. And unfortunately, this has happened. That's why the court case in the first place. Many "Chief's of Police" and Sheriff's have now made video's telling their citizens that the obligation for protection rests with the citizen themselves. But this doesn't meet with the media's need to disarm American's so they don't air these messages. There are many of them to be found on Youtube however.

My point is we have a great need to be more proactive in educating America on obligations of protection. For every person we can educate, that person will educate several more and perhaps one day American gun owners will be safe in the knowledge that our Constitution works.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

And don't forget

I wonder if she would have been more comfortable with Nidal Malik Hasan the 39 year old Army Major that killed 13 and wounded more than 30 soldiers at Fort Hood. He was in uniform.

He concealed his gun until he used it.

I am sure she would like him better than the polite young man that posed no threat.

Sheep are stupid as has been proven time after time!

ron73440

He concealed his gun until he used it.

I am sure she would like him better than the polite young man that posed no threat.

Sheep are stupid as has been proven time after time!

He was also in a GFZ, the average Soldier cannot carry on base, concealed or otherwise.

Ken56

I recall seeing a video on 'caught on tape' a scenario where a guy walks into a grocery store and started shooting people for no reason. Why would anyone need a gun in a grocery store??? Thats why. or any place else for that matter. You never know where or when you may need to defend yourself. I think this letter writer is quite smart for that matter in how she advances the anti's view point here. The letter is well written and touches on all the points the anti band wagon loves. She may very well be quite active in the gun control movement and saw an opportunity to 'get the message out'. I would hope someone in that area does write a rebutt to the paper and present our views as elloquently as she did hers. Not that I agree with hers.

Marco

this example of the success of anti-2A brainwashing in our Nation.

LTE, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 17 April 2014:

GetContent.asp

GetContent.asp

Maybe she needs to ask the victims of "Zane Michael Floyd who shot five people in a supermarket rampage, killing four of them,"

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/200...loyd-planned-to-commit-suicide/#ixzz2QpBQcM65

Last edited:

Marco

Wasn't Gabby shot at a supermarket?

Yep, On January 8, 2011, a week into her third term, Giffords was a victim of a shooting near Tucson, which was reported to be an assassination attempt on her, at a supermarket where she was meeting publicly with constituents. She was critically injured by a gunshot wound to the head.

Glockster

Yup, insufficient understanding of the world and insufficient imagination to think of the possibilities for violent threats, even in grocery stores (and schools, and universities, and federal offices) to grasp the nature of the situation. This person is being controlled by emotional reactions and is not in control of her own thoughts. Nothing we can do about that, it's a mental disorder. But you may as well be angry and disgusted by a dog just because it's a dog. It is what it is, and there's no point in worrying about it.

Yes. And perhaps THE biggest "problem" with folks like this is that we will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever (you get the point) be able to convince them that our constitutional 2A right is as important as all of the other constitutional rights -- such as their 1A right to express their opinion. I bet she would be beside herself if she were to see a letter written by someone who expressed that they were disturbed and uncomfortable to find that people were having conversations about whatever in a grocery store and that those conversations must be stopped, etc. etc. She'd be all up in arms over constitutional rights being infringed.

Again, arguing with (someone like) her is as fruitful as trying to teach a pig to sing.

45acpForMe

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the paper published her letter.

The young man may very well been under 21 whereby he had to OC to be a law abiding citizen.

So this woman has a problem with cheerful, respectful, law abiding citizens???

He was exercizing his rights including free speech while talking to the store employees. No Need to Talk to Buy Groceries! would have been an equally valid/stupid headline.

Last edited:

2a4all

Is Macy's Insensitive?

I don't have a link to the ad, but Macy's (and yes, their Boston, MA store, too) is having a sale on pressure cookers.:eek:

Where is the outrage?

(I'm OCing as I write this.)

Glockster

Good for them. If we change our routines because of the actions of terrorists, they've already won....

Roscoe

Agree with this...but will add that as someone with a top secret security clearance and on a trusted traveler cleared listing....everytime I head to Norfolk International Airport I have to toss my Coke Zero and then have to put my 3oz of hand lotion and lip balm into a tray...I think about how "they" have to at least some extent already won.

CharlesC

This is a formula letter. Notice how it ends with person intimating they are pro gun, target practice and grew up around guns. But somehow one normal guy wearing a gun in a store makes her afraid. Nope, these types of letter are on op ed pages all over the place. It is part of the narative to change people's mind in to thinking that any gun is a bad gun and that we need to disarm.

USNA69

Kudos to Norfolk Virginian-Pilot

In fairness to the Virginian-Pilot, I am pleased to report that they published three pro-2A rebuttals in Saturday's edition.

All were reasoned unemotional responses, citing the Constitution.

Perhaps one or more are OCDOers.

Well Done!!

Glockster

In fairness to the Virginian-Pilot, I am pleased to report that they published three pro-2A rebuttals in Saturday's edition.

Well Done!!

Yes, good rebuttals all without a trace of any form of "crazy gun toting" schtuff. And at least one of them sounded very much like some discussion that has taken place here (up to the author to reveal themself).

ron73440

Well Done!!

I read those three, and agree they were very well written, but the comments to them are really crazy.

If you carry a gun you live in fear

I'm not afraid so I don't need one

How do we know he's not a bad guy just acting polite

I trust the police, they have training

and on and on and on...

Sometimes it amazes me that other Americans can sound so "European" for lack of a better word.