• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This Is What We Are Up Against

USNA69

I hope my neighbors did not hear me screaming at my newspaper, as I read this LTE this morning.

Despite mentally composing a number of responses, I chose to do nothing ... except to forward to you this example of the success of anti-2A brainwashing in our Nation.

LTE, Norfolk Virginian-Pilot, 17 April 2014:

GetContent.asp

GetContent.asp

GetContent.asp

GetContent.asp

GetContent.asp

Glockster

Yeah, read that this morning as well and had the same kind of reaction. Someone like that is just....so totally clueless about the real world that having a discussion with her would be pretty much as fruitful as trying to teach a pig to sing. Not to mention her readily apparent lack of understanding of the law in Virginia (pretty sure that the AG didn't grant me the right to OC, and she clearly doesn't understand exactly why the Virginia tuck was in place). I do wonder which Farm Fresh this was and hope that she doesn't shop in the same one as me....as I'm disgusted and disturbed to be shopping around someone as clueless.

Added: And this is pretty much Exhibit A as to why I find the whole "jury of peers" concept to be potentially dangerous. Imagine having an unfortunate encounter in VB, coming in conflict with VB's stop & ID law, then finding yourself in court with a nut bag like this on your jury???

Last edited:

drewf

What would she have preferred...?

I think the writer was more upset that the OC'er was cheerful, respectful, helpful and well behaved so she really wasn't able to pontificate on the behavior of people who open carry.

The saddest thing is if the young person hadn't been carrying a firearm but had been rude, filthy, disrespectful and disorderly I doubt she would have even thought anything of it, as that has become all too common in our society. She certainly wouldn't have written about it.

In addition, how does she know he wasn't a detective doing his shopping? How does she know he wasn't a decorated veteran? In reality, there is no reason to look twice at anyone who OC's, unless you are into firearms and they're carrying something rare. The general public doesn't know the difference and never will.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
Oh, because he didn't have on a uniform, he was automatically confrontational. But with a uniform, it is A-OK. Sad sad sheep-like mentality, far too prevalent today.

It actually jibes with observed sociological phenomena on conformity, where people will generally give deference and cooperation to people wearing a uniform, even to unreasonable requests.

I saw it in action on a TV show on a Discovery Channel show called Head Games. People would give up their tables at a restaurant for a police officer. They would follow outrageous lines on the floor because of the presence of a guard and a sign. Of course, many were so into conformity, that when it was suggested that there was a snake in a tree, people actually saw it and pointed it out to other onlookers and a crowd formed to watch the (non-existent) snake in the tree.

So in a way, what we are up against is essentially human nature, the way we have been programmed to behave. Whether we choose to follow that programming is another matter entirely ;)

HearseGuy

This sure is sad. And pathetic. I can think of many reasons I carry my firearm grocery shopping. And everywhere else I go as well. If she really thinks OCers see their firearm as a "fashion accessory" she really is a sick shallow dimwitted individual.

What she doesn't realize, sadly, is that had a man come up and started robbing her or anyone else at gun point that smiling young gentleman with his holstered firearm would have been the first one to her assistance.

Just sad.

But I will say, I feel better knowing that, at least as far as I have seen and encountered, there are many more people who have no issue with OC and are actually interested in OC or firearms ownership in general. I have been thanked for OCing and thanked for exercising my 2A rights. I will not let people like the one who wrote this article bother me.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So in a way, what we are up against is essentially human nature, the way we have been programmed to behave. Whether we choose to follow that programming is another matter entirely ;)

Speak for yourself. I've never had a choice in the matter.

Petty tyrant-wannabe psychologists would probably call my hostility to authority "pathological", and look in vain for some childhood cause. But it's just how I am. My respect for an individual or entity follows the inverse of its "authority".

2a4all

She enjoys target shooting? Based on her letter, I imagine her as the type that lets someone else load, clean and carry the gun for her, out of "respect".

How disgusted would she be if the individual had been CCing while choosing her for his next victim? Her husband waiting in the car might have been witness to his worst nightmare. She doesn't mention how he felt about the MWAG. If he did notice, he didn't rush to her aid. Do you suppose he'll hear about that?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The woman's description of the young man exposes her distaste for firearms in carried in public. I think anyone would see that this young man is a glowing example of the type of person you hope to run across in public, but she attempts to malign him simply because of her own inclinations. The letter may end up doing more to expose her as a lunatic, than it does to speak ill of the person with the sidearm. It should also expose to the public just the kind of people that friendly, kind firearm carriers have to deal with as they go about their daily business.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
The woman's description of the young man exposes her distaste for firearms in carried in public. I think anyone would see that this young man is a glowing example of the type of person you hope to run across in public, but she attempts to malign him simply because of her own inclinations. The letter may end up doing more to expose her as a lunatic, than it does to speak ill of the person with the sidearm. It should also expose to the public just the kind of people that friendly, kind firearm carriers have to deal with as they go about their daily business.

I think you're right.

She comes across as unhinged.

"Those gun nuts actually encourage each other to be helpful and polite!? HOW DARE THEY!?!?"

mpguy

I'm going to respond the that article, and send it to the paper. See what kind of response I get.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
This fruit is not fresh !! Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Die cursed fruit! Bam bam bam..

I would suggest that Minnie move east about 200 miles ... her worries will be over...

half_life1052

A Little Digging . . .

If my sources are correct, she is in her upper sixties and has lived in VB all of her life. Is it something in the water . . . ?

F350

Do promoters of 'open carry' laws instruct otherwise presentable young men to appear armed and act nonchalant and cheerful toward store clerks, shoppers and others, as a way to desensitize the public to openly carried guns?

No Mam; that's just the way we are by nature.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If my sources are correct, she is in her upper sixties and has lived in VB all of her life. Is it something in the water . . . ?

Do a little research on shipwrecked Sailors. If they break and drink seawater, one result is insanity.

I've been told seawater has been seeping into the VB Wells for years.:uhoh: