Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Running for City Council!

  1. #1
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357

    Running for City Council!

    I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

    I was really hoping to get some more likes for my facebook page as well...

    https://www.facebook.com/ScottKeithForCityCouncil

    Hopefully this isn't too off topic.
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  2. #2
    Regular Member bmg50cal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    WA - North Whidbey/ Deception Pass
    Posts
    307
    I won't complain as you're not posting from an account that was just created.

  3. #3
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    I won't complain as you're not posting from an account that was just created.
    Thanks!
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

    I was really hoping to get some more likes for my facebook page as well...

    https://www.facebook.com/ScottKeithForCityCouncil

    Hopefully this isn't too off topic.
    Thank you Sir, more of need to do what you are doing.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    Will you be OCing in council?

  6. #6
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    Will you be OCing in council?
    Oh... the hard question comes out. I will probably CC. I do OC around town, however for campaigning I will not be OC'ing. I don't want it to be a distraction, and I don't want to lose votes over it. Is that a politician's answer or what? I believe there is a time and a place for everything and I don't see that OC'ing in council will do anything to advance the cause. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't hide the fact that I'm pro-gun but I also like being pragmatic. If I am elected and people OC to the city council meetings I will make it a point to point out that I'm 100% in favor of it.

    Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  7. #7
    Regular Member Alpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mercer Island
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    Oh... the hard question comes out. I will probably CC. I do OC around town, however for campaigning I will not be OC'ing. I don't want it to be a distraction, and I don't want to lose votes over it. Is that a politician's answer or what? I believe there is a time and a place for everything and I don't see that OC'ing in council will do anything to advance the cause. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't hide the fact that I'm pro-gun but I also like being pragmatic. If I am elected and people OC to the city council meetings I will make it a point to point out that I'm 100% in favor of it.

    Scott
    I guess I can understand why you wouldn't necessarily do it while campaigning, there's a lot of stupid people out there, but if you win and you're a good council member I wouldn't see the harm in OCing while in council, that way it would help pre-emptively shut the antis up and make citizens feel supported rather than them not knowing until they might happen to ask you. Most people I've met on Earth don't generally walk up to someone and ask them how they feel about open carry of firearms unless they actually SEE them OCing, which makes the question moot at that point.

    It's also a bit odd you're here on an OC forum asking for support for an elected position but you won't OC while executing that position...

    I do get your point that you'd probably be better for us than some crazy anti-freedom liberal but it does seem a bit weird. As you said, your answers does sound like a politician's answer.

    But hey, I guess politics is the art of the possible, not necessarily the optimal. More power to you... unless there's an opposing candidate running who actually WILL open carry.
    Last edited by Alpine; 04-17-2013 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357
    Open carrying isn't the only issue that's important to me, and is likely not an issue that I will face on the city council. I posted because I have met a lot of people from here in person and consider them friends. I don't know much about the politics of the person who I'm running against, maybe she's liberal, maybe not.

    Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran gogodawgs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Federal Way, Washington, USA
    Posts
    5,667

    Running for City Council!

    Scott

    I have met you in person. I support you. OC is not the issue and your method of carry is your choice.

    Nick
    Live Free or Die!

  10. #10
    Regular Member skeith5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    357
    Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Scott

    I have met you in person. I support you. OC is not the issue and your method of carry is your choice.

    Nick
    Nick,

    Thank you, I appreciate the support and look forward to seeing you again.

    Scott
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

  11. #11
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884
    Good for you! Too many skeletons in my closet to try political office....

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Good for you! Too many skeletons in my closet to try political office....
    Mine as well!

  13. #13
    Regular Member jmac1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    washington state
    Posts
    1

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

    I was really hoping to get some more likes for my facebook page as well...

    https://www.facebook.com/ScottKeithForCityCouncil

    Hopefully this isn't too off topic.
    "STICK TO YOUR GUNS" Good Luck

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    I have decided to run for City Council for Arlington, WA. How is this open carry related you ask? Well, I promise not to support any ordinances prohibiting carrying of a firearm and if an armed citizen comes into the meeting I promise not to walk out!

    I was really hoping to get some more likes for my facebook page as well...

    https://www.facebook.com/ScottKeithForCityCouncil

    Hopefully this isn't too off topic.
    Don't forget to check your opponents petitions to knock them off the ballot ... unopposed is the easiest campaign to run !

    Good luck.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Right on Kieth!

    Quote Originally Posted by gsx1138 View Post
    Good for you! Too many skeletons in my closet to try political office....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Mine as well!
    I hear that...... at least I have good company.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long gone
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Right on Kieth!





    I hear that...... at least I have good company.
    Them darned Harley Davidsons and the people that ride them were simply too much fun to not participate, LOL

  17. #17
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hayes View Post
    Them darned Harley Davidsons and the people that ride them were simply too much fun to not participate, LOL
    Darn I don't even have that excuse......lol...
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  18. #18
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Ok Scott!

    I have two adult daughters (and families) in Arlington...give me your sales pitch and I may pass it on (that's 4 votes)

  19. #19
    Regular Member amzbrady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    Posts
    3,522
    Good luck. I'm in Marysville so I wont get to vote for you.
    If you voted for Obama to prove you are not a racist...
    what will you do now to prove you are not stupid?

    "The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of "liberalism," they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." - Norman Thomas

    "They who can who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve niether liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

  20. #20
    Regular Member gsx1138's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bremerton, Washington, United States
    Posts
    884
    I had to google it because I've never heard of Arlington.

    I could never run for office mainly because I have no problem saying absurd **** to point out the absurdity of someone elses argument. Sarcasm doesn't do well in politics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •