Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: Another New Forum Rule

  1. #1
    Administrator John Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, VA
    Posts
    1,735

    Another New Forum Rule

    (22) DUPLICATE AVATARS: Many users have avatars that represent their membership in certain organizations (NRA, GOA, VCDL, etc). These, of course, may be duplicated since they are not a personalized avatar. However, personalized avatars are deemed to belong to the first member to use them and copying of them by subsequent members is almost always done to attack a member or to cause confusion. Therefore, duplication of personalized avatars is prohibited.

    Post your thoughts here.

    Thanks!


    John

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    OK. Who used the gorilla? C'mon. Fess up.

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran slapmonkay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    1,267
    Does this seriously need to be a rule?
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

    It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

    I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

  4. #4
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Does this seriously need to be a rule?
    You can thank matt2636 for that.

    Edit: I got dibs on Alfonso Bedoya for life!
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.

  5. #5
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    OK. Who used the gorilla? C'mon. Fess up.
    If I recall correctly some "dweeb" going by eye95 is using one like that with some orange thing in the mouth.... LOL
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Does this seriously need to be a rule?
    I've been on forums where juvenile posters would set up an account to look like another's in order to stir trouble. Since avatars (unique ones) so closely identify a user, it is reasonable that folks be afforded the protection that no one can deliberately confuse others about the identity of another poster by mimicking his or her avatar.

    So I'd answer yes.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    If I recall correctly some "dweeb" going by eye95 is using one like that with some orange thing in the mouth.... LOL
    Amazing timing. You snuck that one in just as I was posting! That takes skill.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Amazing timing. You snuck that one in just as I was posting! That takes skill.
    Well, eye is using my HS yearbook photo ...

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    yet other fourm rules were broken and nothing was done about it. that i know of..
    A: Not by me. And it isn't just WW your infraction is harming – it's every other poster who's mislead by your doing so.

    B: Two violations make a compliance? Seems like a rather immature response.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-20-2013 at 06:55 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    so many people have been copying my avatar it's amazing.....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  11. #11
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    yet other fourm rules were broken and nothing was done about it. that i know of..
    So, the justification is "someone else broke a forum rule" .... wow, just wow!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  12. #12
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    but isn't WalkingWolf's avatar "iron eyes cody" from the don't litter campaign?

    and so in that regard anyone can use his avatar, the image is public domain as a work of the US Government.... (17 USC 105)

    so how is it that the forum wants to regulate WWs avatar? MY avatar is proprietary, I created it myself, so i can understand if that rule, but why restrict a PD image?

    problem number 2, if someone hasn't been on the forum for awhile how long before they forfeit their avatar?

    also many images are requently used...... like the skeleton hand holding the empty glock and the caption "NOW you can have it" is used by many people on numerous boards.....

    I think the rule should be "no duplication of a proprietary or custom avatar made by the user being copied"
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-20-2013 at 09:46 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  13. #13
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Walkingwolf has had that avitar,,, for ever!
    He was in a heated discousion with XXX2636, who had his own.
    then during the back foreth debate, XXX2636 changed his vitar to match WW.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  14. #14
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    if thats the way you wanna look at it Joesph
    You misspelled what you ASSUME is my name.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  15. #15
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    good point
    don't "good point" me, that wasn't a defense of you, only an argument against a rule that can only be enforced selectively....

    you're clearly being disruptive, which I believe was made a forum rule after the antics of Stainless 1911. you shouldn't change avatars just to troll other users.....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  16. #16
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well then..

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    actually i didnt have one
    That explains why I couldnt remember an old one.
    Sooo, I was wrong, oh poo!
    I was caught in the web of my deciet.
    You didnt change an exsisting avitar to decieve or confuse others,,,
    You just adopted the avitar of your worthy opponent!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    WW's avatar is "personalized." It is unique to him. It makes his posts recognizable. It is not like he routinely changes avatars. He sticks with it.

    I believe this is precisely the kind of avatar that the owners are calling "personalized."

    There is no honest reason for someone who had never used that avatar before to use it now. The mods or admins should remove that poster's avatar.

    That's how I see it.

    Personally, I have zero respect for posters who would stoop to such dishonesty--and zero interest in anything they write.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    don't "good point" me, that wasn't a defense of you, only an argument against a rule that can only be enforced selectively....

    you're clearly being disruptive, which I believe was made a forum rule after the antics of Stainless 1911. you shouldn't change avatars just to troll other users.....
    I think it is a good rule. Judgment will be required by the admins and mods to properly enforce the rule. However, it is their board and they constantly have to exercise such judgment.

    Anytime someone adopts an avatar that no one else is using, and uses it continually for a long period of time, it becomes an identifying mark. Anyone else using it either has made a mistake or is deliberately and dishonestly trying to confuse matters. This poster is clearly not mistaken. He is being dishonest. That is despicable behavior on a message board.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    My avatar is proprietary, there's only one photo like it.

    I haven't seen duplication of avatars around here recently.

    Can I still use Don't Tread On Me Rainbow avatar?
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate BB62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I think it is a good rule. Judgment will be required by the admins and mods to properly enforce the rule. However, it is their board and they constantly have to exercise such judgment.

    Anytime someone adopts an avatar that no one else is using, and uses it continually for a long period of time, it becomes an identifying mark. Anyone else using it either has made a mistake or is deliberately and dishonestly trying to confuse matters. This poster is clearly not mistaken. He is being dishonest. That is despicable behavior on a message board.
    I agree.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    So, the justification is "someone else broke a forum rule" .... wow, just wow!
    I see many folks coping your avatar .... lol

  22. #22
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    I see many folks coping your avatar .... lol
    Isn't "coping" either an evaluation of dealing with emotional stress in a positive manner or a type of saw?
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  23. #23
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    oh and no one "owns" anything on here that includes avatars.
    Yeah, and you don't own this forum. Those who do can create whatever rules they want.

    If it were me, you'd be banned for flagrant disregard, posting in the very thread promulgating the rule your disregard for the proprietors' wishes.

    This is not a public venue. Free speech, copyright law, whatever – it's all irrelevant. You are obligated to do as the owners demand, or go elsewhere.

    Most of us would prefer the latter. The fact that you're still using WW's avatar indicates disrespect for the entire forum, as well as its owners. That you think it's just about you and WW shows how childish and worthless your presence here is.

    You're wrong, and you have no leg to stand on. Man up and admit it.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.

  24. #24
    Campaign Veteran marshaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Fairfax County, Virginia
    Posts
    11,487
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    i never said it wasnt their site. but it is view by the public. but he broke a forum rule as well so do we only enforce ones we want to? sure im breaking a rule that was just RECENTLY made up but he broke one that has already been in place. is this what you do if you cant prove or win a argument? you call them a troll and report them to get them kicked off the forum cause you dont agree with something factual they posted?
    A: If you don't report rule violations, nobody cares to hear what you think about them later. Your argument is akin to "well, it's OK that I slashed your tires, because Joe Bob keyed my car last week".

    And I'm saying, "well, you probably should have pressed charges against (or sued) Joe Bob. But you didn't. And now I don't give a damn; you slashed my tires, and now you're the bad guy. Shut up about what Joe Bob did (which you didn't even see fit to report), and fix what you broke."

    Also, nobody reported you for your first several violations of forum rules. It wasn't until you were called out for their violation, and you indicated that you don't give a damn about the forum owners' brand new rule (created just for you) that you risked any sort of moderator action.


    B. Changing your avatar in the middle of a discussion (or argument) is pretty much the definition of troll behavior. You can't win an argument so you resort to childish tactics. That's what trolls do.

    Don't want to be called a troll: don't troll. It's that simple. You're not the victim here, buddy. You've been an immature ass, and the forum will be better off without such behavior.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-21-2013 at 10:32 AM.

  25. #25
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by matt2636 View Post
    yeah if I was trolling both of you were trolling as well cause you replied didnt you(run on sentence). No need to be hating or calling someone an immature a$$. Is that not against the forum rules?
    walkingwolf's childish tactic was inviting you into the same discussion to bash on me cause you could not provide evidence for what you were claiming(Who's the subject of this sentence?). (Started a sentence with a pronoun) could not handle it and phoned a friend. that is fine I do not care i can play ditry to this sentence is illegible and is ended with a preposition. I did not stoop to your level and insult you I wanted you to own up to what you were saying. (Can't start a sentence with a conjucntion) you never did it you would basically repeat what you said through the whole argument and neither of you like the taste of your own medicine(run on sentence with no period)
    I had to correct your statement in order to decipher it. Grammar in a language exists to aid the reader in understanding it properly, you would do well to watch school house rock a few times and stop writing in text-speak.
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-21-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •