Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: HB 700 - New Information

  1. #1
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    28

    HB 700 - New Information

    This was posted on my Facebook by the Texas Firearms Assoc. I just made the contact:

    Just got off the phone with the Homeland Security committee clerk, who said Pickett has his hands tied by people higher up - i.e., Speaker of the House Joe Straus. Straus is known for killing conservative bills and needs to hear from all of us, and thousands of our friends. On your mark, get set, GO!

    Joe.Straus@house.state.tx.us
    512-463-1000
    https://www.facebook.com/SpeakerJoeStraus
    ... Twitter: @SpeakerStraus

    Stay professional but state firmly that he needs to get Open Carry on the House floor for a vote immediately. While you're at it, tell him to support ALL the pro-gun legislation (HB 928, HB 627, HB 972, HB 1298, HB 3218, HB 47 & 48, HB 1304, HB 1531, etc.)See More

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member PrayingForWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Real World.
    Posts
    1,705
    I've called Both Pickett and Speaker Straus today. I could hear other phones ringing in the background. A polite phone call doesn't take a lot of time, it might not hurt to remind them they can be primaried and challenged soon. It might not hurt too look up who their biggest sources of funds are, and ask them to call these offices.
    If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training. You will become a minister of death, PRAYING FOR WAR...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by tejasx View Post
    This was posted on my Facebook by the Texas Firearms Assoc. I just made the contact:

    Just got off the phone with the Homeland Security committee clerk, who said Pickett has his hands tied by people higher up - i.e., Speaker of the House Joe Straus. Straus is known for killing conservative bills and needs to hear from all of us, and thousands of our friends. On your mark, get set, GO!

    Joe.Straus@house.state.tx.us
    512-463-1000
    https://www.facebook.com/SpeakerJoeStraus
    ... Twitter: @SpeakerStraus

    Stay professional but state firmly that he needs to get Open Carry on the House floor for a vote immediately. While you're at it, tell him to support ALL the pro-gun legislation (HB 928, HB 627, HB 972, HB 1298, HB 3218, HB 47 & 48, HB 1304, HB 1531, etc.)See More
    "Texas Firearms Association"? Just which group is this?

    If this can be demonstrated to be accurate, Gov. Perry might be one of the few people able to persuade Mr. Straus to bring these matters to a vote, but it is unlikely that these bills would have time to work their way through the process prior to the end of the legislative session even if they were voted on today.

  4. #4
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Doesn't the Lt. Governor have more "legislative" influence ? OOooops ! That would be David Dewhurst -never mind.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 04-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    I don't see OC in Texas's future, ever. Texas will be a blue state in 12 years, tops, and between now and then the Republicans in the Texas legislature, whose numbers will dwindle rapidly over the next several sessions, will be focused on panicking into trying to enact anti-anti-Republican legislation. They will have no time for, nor interest in, anything that has anything whatsoever to do with liberty, because they've never had time for, nor interest in, liberty in the history of Texas Republicans.

  6. #6
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Until taxpayer funding of universities/colleges is made contingent upon EDUCATION - not SOCIALIST INDOCTRINATION- Texas will proceed towards the "progressive checkout".

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    2
    Not gonna happen... based on comments from Charles Cotton over at TexasCHLforum, our "representatives" have decided to not support the bill because of some angry letters about open carry. I wish they would support a bill based on its merit rather than how nice the supporters are. Sign of the times I guess.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    There is some evidence of some messages sent from Neanderthal Land - but I believe the primary REASON HB 700 is dead is that it conflicted with the effort to relax campus concealed carry.

    Be that as it may there are some good bills still alive that move us in the right direction.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    300

    what

    What would they do if we wrote angry letters about the lack of congressional support? The hand full of pissed off people beat out the truck load of happy people? How does that work? My guess is that the only thing they understand is anger. Ok, the time for civility is over. I've written nice, well thought out letters to most involved with only one or two responses. Maybe, if I become belligerent, the powers that be will take notice.

  10. #10
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    What would they do if we wrote angry letters about the lack of congressional support? The hand full of pissed off people beat out the truck load of happy people? How does that work? My guess is that the only thing they understand is anger. Ok, the time for civility is over. I've written nice, well thought out letters to most involved with only one or two responses. Maybe, if I become belligerent, the powers that be will take notice.
    Everything is about incentives. Republican legislators in Texas have zero incentive to pass pro-2A legislation. The people who put them in office will vote for them again no matter what they do with regard to 2A. This is not a problem with Republican legislators in Texas; this is a problem with Texas voters. Every nincompoop who votes for a Republican because he's not a Democrat is the whole reason we don't have open carry in Texas. GG, nincompoops.

  11. #11
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    Everything is about incentives. Republican legislators in Texas have zero incentive to pass pro-2A legislation. The people who put them in office will vote for them again no matter what they do with regard to 2A. This is not a problem with Republican legislators in Texas; this is a problem with Texas voters. Every nincompoop who votes for a Republican because he's not a Democrat is the whole reason we don't have open carry in Texas. GG, nincompoops.
    Would the solution to this be to do more research and consider their voting record on firearm related bills before voting? Or be even more active than simply voting, perhaps by writing them and telling them that because they didn't support X bill you will no longer vote for them? Or unless they vote for X bill, they will not get your vote next election? What's the best way to correct the problem, in your opinion? <- genuinly curious

  12. #12
    Regular Member ()pen(arry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA; escaped from 18 years in TX
    Posts
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Would the solution to this be to do more research and consider their voting record on firearm related bills before voting? Or be even more active than simply voting, perhaps by writing them and telling them that because they didn't support X bill you will no longer vote for them? Or unless they vote for X bill, they will not get your vote next election? What's the best way to correct the problem, in your opinion? <- genuinly curious
    Engage in healthy discussion with your friends and family about meaningful, important topics in order to disseminate your worldview, and in order for yours to be influenced by theirs. Divorce yourself from the false choice paradigm. Never vote for someone who doesn't genuinely represent you. Yes, know as thoroughly as feasible any candidate you might be inclined to vote for, and if there is no candidate in a particular election who genuinely represents you, then don't vote in that particular election. "Better than" is just as bad as the other guy. Telling candidates and elected officials what you require from them as their employer is never harmful.

  13. #13
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    We are told how difficult it is to get a House Bill out onto the floor of the House for a vote - right ?

    I'm watching WFAA Channel 11 news last night - they reported that a majority of the House voted (yesterday ?) to end the Texas Lottery program. THAT QUICK !

    Then someone from the Senate hurried over there to inform them that they just voted to cut $2 billion from public education budget - told them to " THINK AGAIN - and VOTE AGAIN!" THE house then reversed the earlier vote.

    How does a nonsense bill like this get out onto the House floor for a vote - apparently it fell out of the blue sky right onto the House floor. What in the world is wrong with these Jack @$$'s ?

  14. #14
    Opt-Out Members
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    We are told how difficult it is to get a House Bill out onto the floor of the House for a vote - right ?

    I'm watching WFAA Channel 11 news last night - they reported that a majority of the House voted (yesterday ?) to end the Texas Lottery program. THAT QUICK !

    Then someone from the Senate hurried over there to inform them that they just voted to cut $2 billion from public education budget - told them to " THINK AGAIN - and VOTE AGAIN!" THE house then reversed the earlier vote.

    How does a nonsense bill like this get out onto the House floor for a vote - apparently it fell out of the blue sky right onto the House floor. What in the world is wrong with these Jack @$$'s ?
    That's not quite what it was. Each session certain State entities are scrutinized and their existence needs to be justified for budgetary reasons. The vote sounds comical, like no one really knew what it was and voted the way it sounded right, or everyone else said they were voting. Then someone realize what they did and panicked. Of course the media made a huge deal out of it making the house look kinda silly.

    It's not hard to get a bill to the floor, it's just getting it through committee, then to calendars and actually put ON the calendar. That's the tricky part, especially for anything the Speaker doesn't like and has control over.
    Last edited by JKTex; 04-24-2013 at 02:08 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by ()pen(arry View Post
    ... "Better than" is just as bad as the other guy. ...
    Oh man, preaching to the choir on that one man. I actually had to be convinced to vote at all this last election. "Voting for the lesser of the two evils is voting for evil" - Me

    I do appreciate the other pointers. thanks
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 04-26-2013 at 10:03 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    dodge city
    Posts
    39
    this is what Lavender had to say on facebook I was finally told today that Open Carry won't get a committee vote to move it out for a floor vote. I won't stop trying but it looks bad at this time. I'm very sorry. Thank you all for your support. I just feel like this bill has been sabotage how much do we know about Lavender has he going to talk to perry himself he give very little feed back

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by matt dillon View Post
    this is what Lavender had to say on facebook I was finally told today that Open Carry won't get a committee vote to move it out for a floor vote. I won't stop trying but it looks bad at this time. I'm very sorry. Thank you all for your support. I just feel like this bill has been sabotage how much do we know about Lavender has he going to talk to perry himself he give very little feed back
    Is that English?

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by matt dillon View Post
    this is what Lavender had to say on facebook I was finally told today that Open Carry won't get a committee vote to move it out for a floor vote. I won't stop trying but it looks bad at this time. I'm very sorry. Thank you all for your support. I just feel like this bill has been sabotage how much do we know about Lavender has he going to talk to perry himself he give very little feed back
    Dillon make a good point

  19. #19
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    As another Texas legislative session settles into the horizon of the historical inbox - the Arkansas legislative delegation, and the Governor have accomplished a bit of " house- keeping" that ironically fits right into TPC 46.02/46.15.

    http://www.thearkansasproject.com/th...eral-assembly/


    Arkansas' Act 746 defines the " journey" (traveling) exemption and clarifies that UNLAWFUL carry of a weapon actually MEANS UNLAWFUL carry of a weapon - not merely the LAWFUL exercise of the 2nd Amendment secured right.

    It should not be necessary to enact such a law in order to address judicial misapplication of existing law.

    " Traveling " in Texas is still TRAVELING - even though Texas judges have managed to muddy the waters enough to confuse the issue thoroughly. "Traveling" in Texas is still essentially something " that you know when you see it."

    Problem is the prevailing ATTITUDE of law enforcement in Texas prefers to dismiss the " traveling" exemption as having been either supplanted by the CHL law , or defined by the MPA ( Motorist Protection Act of 2007). Neither is the case, because when "traveling" a person is excepted from 46.02 application which serves as the predicate condition for carrying under CHL authority as well as the authority for unlicensed vehicular carry of a handgun.

    All the same - it sure would still be nice if the Texas legislative delegation could play a little catch-up with NM, OK, LA, and NOW ARKANSAS. Texas now wears a "mantle" of pro-2A states.............

    It's already been said but it warrants repeating - Court action is probably going to be the path of resolution in Texas.

    The Attorney General COULD exercise some law enforcement guidance on this "traveling", and "unlawful" carry issue.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 04-30-2013 at 08:11 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by rushcreek2 View Post
    As another Texas legislative session settles into the horizon of the historical inbox - the Arkansas legislative delegation, and the Governor have accomplished a bit of " house- keeping" that ironically fits right into TPC 46.02/46.15.

    http://www.thearkansasproject.com/th...eral-assembly/


    Arkansas' Act 746 defines the " journey" (traveling) exemption and clarifies that UNLAWFUL carry of a weapon actually MEANS UNLAWFUL carry of a weapon - not merely the LAWFUL exercise of the 2nd Amendment secured right.

    It should not be necessary to enact such a law in order to address judicial misapplication of existing law.

    " Traveling " in Texas is still TRAVELING - even though Texas judges have managed to muddy the waters enough to confuse the issue thoroughly. "Traveling" in Texas is still essentially something " that you know when you see it."

    Problem is the prevailing ATTITUDE of law enforcement in Texas prefers to dismiss the " traveling" exemption as having been either supplanted by the CHL law , or defined by the MPA ( Motorist Protection Act of 2007). Neither is the case, because when "traveling" a person is excepted from 46.02 application which serves as the predicate condition for carrying under CHL authority as well as the authority for unlicensed vehicular carry of a handgun.

    All the same - it sure would still be nice if the Texas legislative delegation could play a little catch-up with NM, OK, LA, and NOW ARKANSAS. Texas now wears a "mantle" of pro-2A states.............

    It's already been said but it warrants repeating - Court action is probably going to be the path of resolution in Texas.

    The Attorney General COULD exercise some law enforcement guidance on this "traveling", and "unlawful" carry issue.

    I'm quite shocked myself that out of all the States in the Union that Texas does not have some type of Open Carry on the books... The recent bill that was signed into law (ACT 746) is a huge milestone for Arkansas but it would not have been done if not for our idiotic Gov and Director of the State Police because they do not care to actually read the bills they sign and or understand it if they do. Basically what happened was one of our Reps made the technical changes defining a "journey" and other key items and worked hand in hand with the Director of the State Police and at no time had a clue on what he was endorsing when he told the Gov. that the ASP, Sheriffs Association and Chiefs of Police all agreed and supported this bill.

  21. #21
    Regular Member rushcreek2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs. CO
    Posts
    924
    Precisely ! Who pays any attention to " house keeping" chores ?

    I wouldn't quite equate " journey " , or " travel " exemptions to = constitutional carry, but I guess it is to the extent that a person who is traveling/on a journey enjoys a special waiver from the application of some infringements.

    The clarification of what UNLAWFUL carry means is probably the REAL KEY to the "constitutional carry" equation.

    The criminal justice community has overreached in interpreting UNLAWFUL carry in the absence of UNLAWFUL INTENT.

    It should not be necessary to sneak one through in order to "re-educate" the courts concerning the definition of CRIMINALITY. I naively have always thought that was the job of our attorneys general to provide advisory opinions to law enforcement, and state attorneys for the purpose of maintaining uniformity in the administration of JUSTICE. The courts should never have to wrestle with the task of deciding upon what "traveling" on a "journey" MEANS.

    The lack of AG input into the applicability of the criminal statutes eventually leads to legal voids that end up getting filled by a maze of " Rules of Thumb" , and "common understandings" none of which constitute law.
    Last edited by rushcreek2; 05-01-2013 at 06:30 PM.

  22. #22
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    This is a bummer. There is a very high probability that I will be moving to Texas in the next few months from North Carolina. I was hoping that Open Carry would be a reality there and I could continue to carry my pistol without stuffing it in my pants. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for iwb holsters and maybe get an XDs.

    Is there a good repository of information regarding the carry laws in Texas that I can start studying?

    Thanks

  23. #23
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: HB 700 - New Information

    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    This is a bummer. There is a very high probability that I will be moving to Texas in the next few months from North Carolina. I was hoping that Open Carry would be a reality there and I could continue to carry my pistol without stuffing it in my pants. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for iwb holsters and maybe get an XDs.
    Open carry is great! I'm currently stuck in Louisiana and planned on getting back to Texas asap. But this makes me sad and not really wanting to go back. It's weird and unnatural to conceal. But, Louisiana has some stupid ass laws too. Like no carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises.

    And you reminded me, I need to finish the Texas law faq. But I'm lazy and work 12 hours a day.

    As for your question, can't help ya, sorry. Best I can offer is just do a google search. Read sites like this one, the Texas CHL site and ask us lots and lots of questions! Collectively we are very knowledgeable here in the Texas sub.


    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  24. #24
    Regular Member dmatting's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    ...But, Louisiana has some stupid ass laws too. Like no carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises.
    North Carolina has that idiotic prohibition, too. The NC house just passed a bill that allows CHP holders to carry in those places but it still has to pass the NC senate and get by the governor, who will likely not veto it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    As for your question, can't help ya, sorry. Best I can offer is just do a google search. Read sites like this one, the Texas CHL site and ask us lots and lots of questions! Collectively we are very knowledgeable here in the Texas sub.
    Thanks, I'll use my google-fu. Actually, my startpage-fu. Google tracks everything.

  25. #25
    Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by dmatting View Post
    North Carolina has that idiotic prohibition, too. The NC house just passed a bill that allows CHP holders to carry in those places but it still has to pass the NC senate and get by the governor, who will likely not veto it.



    Thanks, I'll use my google-fu. Actually, my startpage-fu. Google tracks everything.
    My advice would be go get through a CHL class ASAP. They should cover everything you need to know in-class. Since you'll be moving from out of state, I'd have a conversation with an instructor about whether or not you need to wait for anything like DL changes or official address changes or anything like that. If he doesn't know the answer to the question, you might be able to get your questions answered easily by the office that handles the CHLs. I think their number is going to be the number on DPS website for Concealed Handgun Program - (512) 424-7293

    If you DON'T plan on getting your CHL, your options are going to be pretty limited. You should be able to have it in your vehicle, concealed, almost anywhere, but I wouldn't expect to be able to carry on your person off of your own personal property.

    If you enjoy reading the actual statutes, I don't find that it's really too daunting a task if you have a little time to really try to digest it all. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ You can do searches and stuff to hopefully find what you need. I think that most of what you'll need to know concerning carrying without a CHL is going to be covered under penal code -> chapter 46 (weapons). Regulations covering concealed carry with a CHL should be pretty thoroughly covered in your CHL class. You'll probably want to ask around in your area to find a good instructor. I usually see cards for instructors at gun stores or the gun or hunting sections of other stores, like Wal-Mart or Academy Sports.

    But I guess the sum of my post is that I would suggest getting your CHL as soon as possible. I don't think you'll regret it if you do. While I certain believe open carry without a license should be perfectly legal, having a CHL is a huge relief living in a state that doesn't allow open carry without a license.
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 05-18-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •