• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 700 - New Information

rushcreek2

Precisely ! Who pays any attention to " house keeping" chores ?

I wouldn't quite equate " journey " , or " travel " exemptions to = constitutional carry, but I guess it is to the extent that a person who is traveling/on a journey enjoys a special waiver from the application of some infringements.

The clarification of what UNLAWFUL carry means is probably the REAL KEY to the "constitutional carry" equation.

The criminal justice community has overreached in interpreting UNLAWFUL carry in the absence of UNLAWFUL INTENT.

It should not be necessary to sneak one through in order to "re-educate" the courts concerning the definition of CRIMINALITY. I naively have always thought that was the job of our attorneys general to provide advisory opinions to law enforcement, and state attorneys for the purpose of maintaining uniformity in the administration of JUSTICE. The courts should never have to wrestle with the task of deciding upon what "traveling" on a "journey" MEANS.

The lack of AG input into the applicability of the criminal statutes eventually leads to legal voids that end up getting filled by a maze of " Rules of Thumb" , and "common understandings" none of which constitute law.

Last edited:

dmatting

This is a bummer. There is a very high probability that I will be moving to Texas in the next few months from North Carolina. I was hoping that Open Carry would be a reality there and I could continue to carry my pistol without stuffing it in my pants. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for iwb holsters and maybe get an XDs.

Is there a good repository of information regarding the carry laws in Texas that I can start studying?

Thanks

Jack House

This is a bummer. There is a very high probability that I will be moving to Texas in the next few months from North Carolina. I was hoping that Open Carry would be a reality there and I could continue to carry my pistol without stuffing it in my pants. I guess I'm going to have to start shopping for iwb holsters and maybe get an XDs.
Open carry is great! I'm currently stuck in Louisiana and planned on getting back to Texas asap. But this makes me sad and not really wanting to go back. It's weird and unnatural to conceal. But, Louisiana has some stupid ass laws too. Like no carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises.

And you reminded me, I need to finish the Texas law faq. But I'm lazy and work 12 hours a day. :p

As for your question, can't help ya, sorry. Best I can offer is just do a google search. Read sites like this one, the Texas CHL site and ask us lots and lots of questions! Collectively we are very knowledgeable here in the Texas sub.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

dmatting

...But, Louisiana has some stupid ass laws too. Like no carry in places that sell alcohol for consumption on premises.
North Carolina has that idiotic prohibition, too. The NC house just passed a bill that allows CHP holders to carry in those places but it still has to pass the NC senate and get by the governor, who will likely not veto it.

As for your question, can't help ya, sorry. Best I can offer is just do a google search. Read sites like this one, the Texas CHL site and ask us lots and lots of questions! Collectively we are very knowledgeable here in the Texas sub.

Thanks, I'll use my google-fu. Actually, my startpage-fu. Google tracks everything.

stealthyeliminator

North Carolina has that idiotic prohibition, too. The NC house just passed a bill that allows CHP holders to carry in those places but it still has to pass the NC senate and get by the governor, who will likely not veto it.

Thanks, I'll use my google-fu. Actually, my startpage-fu. Google tracks everything.

My advice would be go get through a CHL class ASAP. They should cover everything you need to know in-class. Since you'll be moving from out of state, I'd have a conversation with an instructor about whether or not you need to wait for anything like DL changes or official address changes or anything like that. If he doesn't know the answer to the question, you might be able to get your questions answered easily by the office that handles the CHLs. I think their number is going to be the number on DPS website for Concealed Handgun Program - (512) 424-7293

If you DON'T plan on getting your CHL, your options are going to be pretty limited. You should be able to have it in your vehicle, concealed, almost anywhere, but I wouldn't expect to be able to carry on your person off of your own personal property.

If you enjoy reading the actual statutes, I don't find that it's really too daunting a task if you have a little time to really try to digest it all. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ You can do searches and stuff to hopefully find what you need. I think that most of what you'll need to know concerning carrying without a CHL is going to be covered under penal code -> chapter 46 (weapons). Regulations covering concealed carry with a CHL should be pretty thoroughly covered in your CHL class. You'll probably want to ask around in your area to find a good instructor. I usually see cards for instructors at gun stores or the gun or hunting sections of other stores, like Wal-Mart or Academy Sports.

But I guess the sum of my post is that I would suggest getting your CHL as soon as possible. I don't think you'll regret it if you do. While I certain believe open carry without a license should be perfectly legal, having a CHL is a huge relief living in a state that doesn't allow open carry without a license.

Last edited:

ghost913

im going to be moving down to texas next month and from living in ohio and open carrying what harm could it do to have llegally armed citizens preventing crimes from happening