• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When quasi-celebrities attack: Jay Mohr blames Boston attack on the 2nd Amendment

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Aging comedian/actor Jay Mohr managed to generate some publicity for himself on Monday by exploiting the Boston Marathon explosions to push his anti-Second Amendment agenda.

Mohr, who those from my generation might remember from Tom Cruise’s hit 1996 film Jerry Maguire, and younger readers might remember from absolutely nowhere, sent his first clueless tweet Monday night.

“What bothers me most about today is that we’re getting used 2 it. ENOUGH. 2nd amendment must go. Violence has 2 stop. Culture MUST change.”

When questioned on the connection between the Second Amendment and the Boston explosions, he kept digging.

Read more at John Pierce’s Monachus Lex.

Beretta92FSLady

When I first reade the tweet, I thought the twit was under the impression that the Boston Marathon had come under fire.

Man seems to have no choice but to harm Man.

Tactical_MTN40

The sad part is you can buy all the things needed to create a bomb like that online. I'm more worried about that kind of stuff over people having a 33 round mag for their glock. Guns are honest peoples way of defense. Bombs not so much. Leave it to the media and dumbass hollywooders to twist this one against the 2A. Watch, the FBI will just so happen to find an apartment full of "assault weapons" from the bomber and say he planned to use them on innocent people.

SFCRetired

Robert Heinlein foresaw just this sort of thing in one of his books, "To Sail Beyond the Sunset":

"The United States had become a place where entertainers and professional athletes were mistaken for people of importance. They were idolized and treated as leaders; their opinions were sought on everything and they took themselves just as seriously - after all, if an athlete is paid a million or more a year, he knows he is important...so his opinions of foreign affairs and domestic policies must be important, too, even though he proves himself to be both ignorant and sub-literate every time he opens his mouth."

There are quite a few "celebrities" of one stripe or the other who fit that most apt description.

I have often said that many science fiction writers have something of the prophet in their psyche. Heinlein is just one among many, but he is one of the better ones at prophesy.

minarchist

Robert Heinlein foresaw just this sort of thing in one of his books, "To Sail Beyond the Sunset":

"The United States had become a place where entertainers and professional athletes were mistaken for people of importance. They were idolized and treated as leaders; their opinions were sought on everything and they took themselves just as seriously - after all, if an athlete is paid a million or more a year, he knows he is important...so his opinions of foreign affairs and domestic policies must be important, too, even though he proves himself to be both ignorant and sub-literate every time he opens his mouth."

There are quite a few "celebrities" of one stripe or the other who fit that most apt description.

I have often said that many science fiction writers have something of the prophet in their psyche. Heinlein is just one among many, but he is one of the better ones at prophesy.

Heinlein was one of those sci fi writers who was not a progressive tard.