Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tea Party Type On Majority Rule

Tea Party Type On Majority Rule

So, it's been rumored that Boehner is planning to unite with Democrats on some of the major issues. Apparently he's tired of dealing with fringe-Right types.

A Tea Party favorite sums up his view of Majority Rule:

ea Party favorite and second-term Rep. Tim Huelskamp is among the most recent to express concern, saying Tuesday that Boehner “assured us” that he'd seek a majority Republican coalition before proceeding on controversial bills. “Why do we have the majority if we don’t do what the majority wants?” the Kansas Republican told FoxNews.com. “I didn’t come to Washington to give over the House to (Democratic Leader) Nancy Pelosi and moderate Republicans. This really concerns me.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...#ixzz2QkqcLSta
    Rep. Tim Huelskamp, apparently Working Together is not part of your Agenda.

Even the Tea Party favorites are on-board with Majority Rule.

Which makes me wonder: If a Tea Party favorite is FOR Majority Rule, then how fringe-Right are those who are against Majority Rule?

Just thought I'd link-up this article, and try to get down to whether Majority Rule is 'good' or not.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 04-17-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

There is a reason that checks and balances were put in the constitution, and working together is not one of them.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    There is a reason that checks and balances were put in the constitution, and working together is not one of them.
    Do you agree with Majority Rule?
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Amen to that. If Congress won't get together to start repealing laws, then the best we can hope for is for them to do nothing. Stop passing laws!

Quote Originally Posted by georg jetson View Post
    Amen to that. If Congress won't get together to start repealing laws, then the best we can hope for is for them to do nothing. Stop passing laws!
    By Majority Rule?

Dance, dance, dance!

So... The message I get from hearing you say "...the best we can hope for is for them to do nothing. Stop passing laws!" is that you elect representatives so they can NOT do their jobs? Damn, the constituents must be super easy to please! But then why is the approval rating so atrociously low?

There is the right, the extreme right, the tea party, and then deep space where apparently these no compromise anti-majority folks who don't want any laws passed, and wish Congress was a log jam apparently live.

Democracy is tyranny of the majority over the minority. The Constitution limits what the government can do to people, not give it power of what it CAN do for people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrock View Post
    Democracy is tyranny of the majority over the minority. The Constitution limits what the government can do to people, not give it power of what it CAN do for people.
    Maybe an elected dictatorship where killing the dictator is not a crime! A 10yr term, with our bill of rights that actually are cemented , and then after 10 yrs he has to leave the country and never have any contact with another.

A constitutional elected dictatorship...sounds good right???

And have the constitution written in latin.

Obozo is on TV throwing a temper tantrum...
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by KTCerberus View Post
    So... The message I get from hearing you say "...the best we can hope for is for them to do nothing. Stop passing laws!" is that you elect representatives so they can NOT do their jobs? Damn, the constituents must be super easy to please! But then why is the approval rating so atrociously low?

There is the right, the extreme right, the tea party, and then deep space where apparently these no compromise anti-majority folks who don't want any laws passed, and wish Congress was a log jam apparently live.
    Well, I think you might be referencing my post?

Our representatives jobs are to pass laws within the powers given them by the US Constitution and then only when necessary. They don't do that. They have dropped their chains long ago. It is unfortunate that we must make decisions for supporting elected officials based on a defensive strategy alone, but that is the sad state of affairs.

There can be no compromise when it comes to enforcing the several constitutions. They are our only defense.
    Last edited by georg jetson; 04-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Banned
    Obozo is on TV throwing a temper tantrum...
    I sent him a pressure cooker as a prize for playing !

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    By Majority Rule?

Dance, dance, dance!
    Yes I'll dance... if you insist. Shall we sign a social contract first?

We do not have Majority rule, we have a Republic designed to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.
    What I told my wife when she said my steel Baby Eagle .45 was heavy, "Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it doesn't work you could always hit him with it."-Boris the Blade

MOLON LABE

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    What majority? If you count the non votes there is only a minority and this is almost always the case politically.

If it is wrong for one person to hold a gun to your head and take a buck out of your wallet or tell you what to wear, drive, eat, how you should work, etc.......what makes it moral for two to do so?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

If the oppressors had a clear majority how did they fail yesterday?
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

So, it's been rumored that Boehner is planning to unite with Democrats on some of the major issues. Apparently he's tired of dealing with fringe-Right types.

A Tea Party favorite sums up his view of Majority Rule:

Rep. Tim Huelskamp, apparently Working Together is not part of your Agenda.

Even the Tea Party favorites are on-board with Majority Rule.

Which makes me wonder: If a Tea Party favorite is FOR Majority Rule, then how fringe-Right are those who are against Majority Rule?

Just thought I'd link-up this article, and try to get down to whether Majority Rule is 'good' or not.
    I'm sorry, B92FSL, but this entire post, and your mode of reasoning, is completely worthless.

First of all, your imagination of a "left/right" political paradigm is false, fictitious, fantastical, etc etc etc.

Specifically, this implied reasoning is illogical to the point of being anti-intellectual, and I'm 99% sure you know that, which makes your doing so rather... distasteful in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by B92FSL

... SNIP ...

Seriously, shame on you.

As though support for "majority rule" has something to do with one's position on the left-right spectrum... Even if I accepted such a spectrum, this would be a ludicrous argument.

Secondly: The tea party is populist (that's why they suddenly became all anti-immigration even though it started off as a Paul-ite movement). Progressivism is a populist movement. Therefore, they both claim the mandate of "majority rule". Populism isn't a coherent ideology, or even ideological approach: it's nothing more than a set of rhetorical techniques designed to accrue political power to yet another elite through votes. Populism is, therefore, anti-populist.

This, and the tendency for group-think to encourage demagoguery and xenophobia, are the reason that basically every single populist movement in history has been illiberal (classical definition), authoritarian, and generally economically inept as well.

"Majority rule" is about as valid a justification as saying "it's OK to kill you, because when I shoot you, you die", and all you've done is point out exactly why its justification is so meritless – clearly if both "progressives" and "tea party types" can have majorities, than a "majority" is nothing more than a chance alignment of demographics and strategy, and is in no way representative of any sort of consensus view of Americans. (Of course, expecting there to even be a single majority opinion on anything in a country the size of America is an exercise in juvenile perspective). Unfortunately you're too locked in your thoughtless worldview to see this obvious fact.

Before, when I brought up Jefferson, it was to point out that real minds who seek to justify "majority rule", have done a whole hell of a lot better than "it's right because it is"/"might makes right". Believe it or not, I was trying to do you a favor, because there are interesting arguments in favor of majority rule; yours are merely not among them. You might want to read some of their arguments before you come parading idiocy like this around. But no, instead you freely admit "you don't give a FUQ" what great minds in the past have concluded, and you'd rather trailblaze your own inept way to inadequately defending the things you believe.

To whatever extent my feeble abilities enable me to be persuasive, and a challenging debater to folks on both sides of your imaginary partisan divide, I assure you is in no small part to my willingness to consider the reasoning of the past. There is a whole lot to cherry-pick from, and you may find your views refined along the way.
    Last edited by marshaul; 04-18-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I'm glad the radical fringe Tea Party types didnt work with democrats on the recent gun bill.
    This particular "radical fringe Tea Party type" who happens to believe in a SMALL Government based upon the Constitution with maximum liberty and personal responsibility will gladly work with the democrats (or rather progressives) on any gun bill. My standard is: "The US Constitution in the Bill of Rights in the 2nd amendment states that "the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"! As such, NO it will NOT be acceptable to INFRINGE on this RIGHT by imposing this/that restriction!" Oh, BTW, there are several restrictions that have been imposed that need to be repealed OR amend the Constitution to make them NOT VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION!

IF the Progressives can't deal with that.... tough luck!
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 04-18-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    ...snip..... amend the Constitution to make them NOT VIOLATE THE CONSTITUTION!
    Wouldn't they just then violate that part of the constitution too?........

"Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their

Do you agree with Majority Rule?
    No
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Wouldn't they just then violate that part of the constitution too?........
    IF they were to successfully amend the constitution (the method provided within the constitution) INSTEAD of making laws and attempting to enforce laws that violate the constitution then the laws they want to make would be constitutional. I may not like them but then they would be constitutional.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Banned

Tea Party Type On Majority Rule

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    No
    Yeah. No. Majority rule does not protect rights. It guarantees that the majority will take from the minority what it will. Slavery had the support of majority rule in those States where it was legal!

At the risk of being trite and repetitive, democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Give me a republic any day over a democracy. Unfortunately, mainly through misinformation spread in public schools, our Republic has degenerated into a despicable democracy.

Sorry, Ben, we couldn't keep it.

On edit: Finally got the video to embed properly. Embedding while on my iPad doesn't work too well. The software makes assumptions about the limitations of an iPad as a mobile device that it should not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    <O>
    Last edited by eye95; 04-20-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Yeah. No. Majority rule does not protect rights. It guarantees that the majority will take from the minority what it will. Slavery had the support of majority rule in those States where it was legal!

At the risk of being trite and repetitive, democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Give me a republic any day over a democracy. Unfortunately, mainly through misinformation spread in public schools, our Republic has degenerated into a despicable democracy.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=N4r0V...%3DN4r0VUybeXY

<O>
    It depends, I agree to some extent that majority rule should be a concept in use for determining law and powers within the framework granted by the constitution, when it comes to rights... no.

Majority rule brought us slavery, and segregation, and if put up for a vote I have no doubt the internment of AMERICAN citizens of japanese descent would've passed. Just a few years ago the people of alabama voted not to remove segregation from the state constitution. my rights are not up for a vote. and no one's rights should be either....
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It depends, I agree to some extent that majority rule should be a concept in use for determining law and powers within the framework granted by the constitution, when it comes to rights... no.

Majority rule brought us slavery, and segregation, and if put up for a vote I have no doubt the internment of AMERICAN citizens of japanese descent would've passed. Just a few years ago the people of alabama voted not to remove segregation from the state constitution. my rights are not up for a vote. and no one's rights should be either....
    I would say that what you are advocating is not really majority rule, but a republic with some democratic features, but only those democratic features that the republican design deliberately incorporated, such as the election of representatives. Unfortunately, creeping democracy has taken over so much of the governance of our erstwhile Republic that Rights are no longer protected from a majority of hungry wolves with a taste for minority lamb. With mint jelly. And some fava beans. With a nice chianti.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

On edit: Finally got the video to embed properly. Embedding while on my iPad doesn't work too well. The software makes assumptions about the limitations of an iPad as a mobile device that it should not.

<O>
    If you count those oppressed into slavery who were not allowed a vote it was not the majority at all.........not even close.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 04-22-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    If you count those oppressed into slavery who were not allowed a vote it was not the majority at all.........not even close.
    which brings us to the second rule of majority rule, majority rule, actually means the majority allowed (in practice, becuase in many times throughout history voters have simply been suppressed from voting even if they were technically allowed to) to vote in the first place....
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 04-22-2013 at 10:53 AM.

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast