Thread: Gun Control Bill Fails in the Senate

Gun Control Bill Fails in the Senate

The Democrats in the US Senate failed in their attempt to pass President Obama's Gun Control bill, today. That bill would have expanded back ground checks for gun purchases. There were only 54 votes in favor of the bill, 6 short of the minimum to pass.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

And he's blaming the NRA for it too.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KySIGGuy View Post
    Good! The NRA is nothing but 5,000,000 gun-loving Americans that are tired of their rights being trampled! The liberals can claim they are a lobbying group all they want, but the fact is they are an association that represents that Second Amendment rights of the PEOPLE!
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

It was a great win for ever person who believes in the Constitution. I am for anything that would have stopped the killings at Sandy Hook, but this would have done nothing but make criminals out of law abiding American gun owners. The thing I hope most is that Senator Toomey loses his job and all the other Republicans that voted for this get ousted as well. Let's start looking at a real solution, such as longer penalties for using a firearm during the commission of a crime, let's stop dealing that away at plea agreements, make it a mandatory sentencing. If you commit a felony while using a firearm, you get 10 additional years that must be served consecutively to the original charge.
    Speed is fine
    Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by KySIGGuy View Post
    Well, in that case, good for the NRA.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

William Pitt

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    Such great news. Unfortunately, we will have to fight this battle again soon. Our rights are always under constant attack. But for tonight, I'm having a nice cold beer, listening to some patriotic music and admiring my new gun that my wife just bought me.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

I had a big smile as I watched Obama in his moment of defeat. Did you all know that over 90% of the country was in favor of this bill?

These anti's won't give up. Obama says he plans to move forward regardless of the senate. But what can he do, executive orders??
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

n.

Quote Originally Posted by self preservation View Post
    These anti's won't give up. Obama says he plans to move forward regardless of the senate. But what can he do, executive orders??
    Executive orders or actions are directions to executive branch directors. The President cannot create law, although I am sure he will try it until someone challenges him. Unfortunately I have heard it said that it is the law until a court says it isn't. In addition to that, sometimes even though a court says it is illegal they continue on and just thumb their collective noses at everyone.

Of course being a retired peace officer, I might just be lying about this so do your own research.

Does anyone believe that we will see another vote this year? If so, do you think the Dems have secured the votes that they need now?

n.