Thread: 18 and trying to purchase a handgun

18 and trying to purchase a handgun

Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to just post it here.

I will start with this. I live in Montana on the A&S Indian reservation. I am trying to purchase a handgun from a friend here. I understand that by law I can purchase a handgun from him at the age of 18 (which I am), but he doesn't want the handgun to be registered in his name if he is going to sell it to me. In theory, if he were to buy a handgun right now, would it be registered at the time of purchase? It yes, how would I get it registered over to me so that he is no longer responsible for it?

Thanks for reading,
    Chris

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ap1atypus View Post
    Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to just post it here.

I will start with this. I live in Montana on the A&S Indian reservation. I am trying to purchase a handgun from a friend here. I understand that by law I can purchase a handgun from him at the age of 18 (which I am), but he doesn't want the handgun to be registered in his name if he is going to sell it to me. In theory, if he were to buy a handgun right now, would it be registered at the time of purchase? It yes, how would I get it registered over to me so that he is no longer responsible for it?

Thanks for reading,
    Chris
    Welcome to OCDO!

I recommend strongly that you cross-post this to the Montana forum.

I can't answer, as my state doesn't register firearms. I don't know how Montana laws work, or how residence on a reservation (separate laws for some things, right?) might affect state requirements. You really need this answered by someone who knows Montana laws.

Not only check Montana laws, but your tribal laws. If not prohibited you only need a bill of sale, and he keeps a record of the sale. The gun will always be traced back to him if he bought it from a FFL no matter how or who he sells it to.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Not only check Montana laws, but your tribal laws. If not prohibited you only need a bill of sale, and he keeps a record of the sale. The gun will always be traced back to him if he bought it from a FFL no matter how or who he sells it to.
    That actually answered my questions perfectly. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ap1atypus View Post
    That actually answered my questions perfectly. Thanks!
    You are welcome, and welcome to OCDO!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

WOLF is right, always check the law and ordinances where you are operating

if your friend is concerned about the form he fills out for the FFLD, these forms stays with the dealer. it is not a registration. so he is totally safe as long as you are of age and have no other restriction on you

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

i found that in MT you can possess and carry, and you can get a CCP at 18. really can't find where you can OC! interesting bit, you don't have to have a CCP if you are outside city limits. also you don't need one for carry in your car no matter where it is (for CC)

still looking for the OC
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.