• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 and trying to purchase a handgun

ap1atypus

Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to just post it here.

I will start with this. I live in Montana on the A&S Indian reservation. I am trying to purchase a handgun from a friend here. I understand that by law I can purchase a handgun from him at the age of 18 (which I am), but he doesn't want the handgun to be registered in his name if he is going to sell it to me. In theory, if he were to buy a handgun right now, would it be registered at the time of purchase? It yes, how would I get it registered over to me so that he is no longer responsible for it?

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Hi everyone. I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to just post it here.

I will start with this. I live in Montana on the A&S Indian reservation. I am trying to purchase a handgun from a friend here. I understand that by law I can purchase a handgun from him at the age of 18 (which I am), but he doesn't want the handgun to be registered in his name if he is going to sell it to me. In theory, if he were to buy a handgun right now, would it be registered at the time of purchase? It yes, how would I get it registered over to me so that he is no longer responsible for it?

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Welcome to OCDO!

I recommend strongly that you cross-post this to the Montana forum.

I can't answer, as my state doesn't register firearms. I don't know how Montana laws work, or how residence on a reservation (separate laws for some things, right?) might affect state requirements. You really need this answered by someone who knows Montana laws.

WalkingWolf

Not only check Montana laws, but your tribal laws. If not prohibited you only need a bill of sale, and he keeps a record of the sale. The gun will always be traced back to him if he bought it from a FFL no matter how or who he sells it to.

ap1atypus

Not only check Montana laws, but your tribal laws. If not prohibited you only need a bill of sale, and he keeps a record of the sale. The gun will always be traced back to him if he bought it from a FFL no matter how or who he sells it to.

That actually answered my questions perfectly. Thanks!

papa bear

WOLF is right, always check the law and ordinances where you are operating

if your friend is concerned about the form he fills out for the FFLD, these forms stays with the dealer. it is not a registration. so he is totally safe as long as you are of age and have no other restriction on you

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

i found that in MT you can possess and carry, and you can get a CCP at 18. really can't find where you can OC! interesting bit, you don't have to have a CCP if you are outside city limits. also you don't need one for carry in your car no matter where it is (for CC)

still looking for the OC