Thread: **SHORT NOTICE** Counter protest 4-20 in Dearborn

Exclamation **SHORT NOTICE** Counter protest 4-20 in Dearborn

It seems the Dearborn Police Department is hosting a Regional Gun Violence Rally at Lindberg School in Dearborn to demand what they define as "common sense gun laws". We are looking for people to peacefully counter protest outside the school (sidewalk). Remember this is a 28.425o/750.237a zone, so a CPL is a must. The location is:

Lindbergh Elementary School auditorium, 500 N. Waverly, Dearborn , MI 48124
    Saturday 4-20 from 10:00 AM to 11:30 AM.

The event is indoors, but our presence outside would be desirable.

Map: http://goo.gl/maps/0p1O4

Link to their event announcement: https://local.nixle.com/alert/4988961/
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

I just wish it were closer, anyone interested in going from the Grand Rapids area?
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

I plan on going. Anyone need a ride from West Bloomfield vicinity or along the route? PM me.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

I've got one, possibly two, other folks coming with me. I'll have with me five copies each of AG Opinion 7113 and MSP Legal Update 86, sections relevant to CPL holders carrying openly in PFZs highlighted. I'll give a copy to anyone wanting to keep one on them (while supplies last).

Have your audio or video recorders running. I highly suggest Qik installed in your phone. It uploads your video, as soon as you stop recording, to your account you establish on it's website, and it is free.
    Last edited by DanM; 04-19-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Re: **SHORT NOTICE** Counter protest 4-20 in Dearborn

Ezerharden - Hope this goes well. Dearborn is a @$$hat town in my opinion. The natives are easily duped & used to following the commands of dictators...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-19-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

How many, aside from me and my one confirmed ride-along, have committed to being there? This is a conditional commitment, by the way. If there's not going to be at least half-decent attendance, I'm saving my fuel and time for another day. Besides, I don't know Dearborn PD all that well and I would be protesting their PD-sponsored event. I'm sure at least a few of them won't be happy. Those circumstances cause me to not be willing to go forth with just me videoing and just me and my ride-along as witnesses on our side.

So is anybody else going? This is very short notice.

There are two facebook events, one for MOC and one someone else started. Looks like a decent turnout is to be expected.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

Thanks for the links to event pages. I'll be there.

Ok - getting a little worried. Everyone who went accounted for? Nobody sitting in jail, correct? Updates please! Hope you guys are ok???
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Ok - getting a little worried. Everyone who went accounted for? Nobody sitting in jail, correct? Updates please! Hope you guys are ok???
    All is well! Sorry, after getting back I was out all the rest of the day helping a friend move.

We had almost as many in our group counter-rallying as they had inside, according to one media photographer. Our headcount was around 21. Dearborn police were professional, no issues there. As they walked to the school, the anti's didn't call us names or try to smack anything out of our hands (police presence nearly always makes them behave). A couple of our guys were inside attending the meeting and reported that it was just a bunch of emotion-stroking talk about doing things that we all already know will not solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    All is well! Sorry, after getting back I was out all the rest of the day helping a friend move.

We had almost as many in our group counter-rallying as they had inside, according to one media photographer. Our headcount was around 21. Dearborn police were professional, no issues there. As they walked to the school, the anti's didn't call us names or try to smack anything out of our hands (police presence nearly always makes them behave). A couple of our guys were inside attending the meeting and reported that it was just a bunch of emotion-stroking talk about doing things that we all already know will not solve problems.
    Good to hear, do you mind if I use this for the bi-weekly email event update? It's the only report I have gotten yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Good to hear, do you mind if I use this for the bi-weekly email event update? It's the only report I have gotten yet.
    Go right ahead, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Go right ahead, Mike!
    Thank you. You didn't happen to get any pics did you?
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 04-22-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    Thank you. You didn't happen to get any pics did you?
    No, but the MOC Facebook page for the event had someone's comment which has a link to the original event page. The original event page was updated with three pictures someone there took of us.

ETA: here's the link to pics:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8476514&type=1
    Last edited by DanM; 04-22-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Nice to see a good turnout. Thanks for posting Dan. Glad it went well.

Spammer...
    Reported
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!