• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cpl Question in Macomb county Michigan

casper

What we do know is the current system of gun boards offers plenty of room for abuses to occur. :([/QUOTE]

A-men to that.

Tucker6900

I don't eather, very frustrating. Ottawa countys just being Ottawa county. No I've never been in a mental health facility. I must be quiet about my situation now though. So please no more questions about it, thanks.

Gotcha. Keep us posted! Good luck.

jennformer

Possible Denial Question

Ok, so this may have been asked somewhere and I may not have found it. I am new to this whole thing so thank you in advance for tolerating my possible repeat question. I know the rules and regs about CPL and the (way too long) list of things that you cant have had happen to you in your past 3 lives.... my question is, I was pulled over in Oakland County 5 years ago for driving on a suspended license (my defense, not a good one, I didn't actually know it was suspended). Will I absolutely be denied for this? Or is there a chance they will look past it?

What exactly does driving on a suspended license have to do with concealed carry anyhow????

Thanks again for the assistance!

Concealed Pistol License Requirements

12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident, MCL 257.617a
Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625(9)(b)
Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m(4)
Reckless driving, MCL 257.626
Driving while license suspended or revoked, second or subsequent offense, MCL 257.904

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ok, so this may have been asked somewhere and I may not have found it. I am new to this whole thing so thank you in advance for tolerating my possible repeat question. I know the rules and regs about CPL and the (way too long) list of things that you cant have had happen to you in your past 3 lives.... my question is, I was pulled over in Oakland County 5 years ago for driving on a suspended license (my defense, not a good one, I didn't actually know it was suspended). Will I absolutely be denied for this? Or is there a chance they will look past it?

What exactly does driving on a suspended license have to do with concealed carry anyhow????

Thanks again for the assistance!

Were you charged and convicted of it?

jennformer

I honestly have no idea. I had fines and court costs to pay but do not remember what it was in the end, I think it was plead down to something else. Initially suspended for speeding 50 in a 45. It is on my driving record as driving while suspended.

Were you charged and convicted of it?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I honestly have no idea. I had fines and court costs to pay but do not remember what it was in the end, I think it was plead down to something else. Initially suspended for speeding 50 in a 45. It is on my driving record as driving while suspended.

Sounds like you were, especially since it shows on your SOS record as such. My guess, and I am not a lawyer so this is in no way legal advice, is that you are most likely out of luck for about another 3 years.

You asked: "What exactly does driving on a suspended license have to do with concealed carry anyhow????"

Answer: The State of Michigan has regrettably decided it does have something to do with getting a CPL. We have some, if not THE, most difficult requirements of any state that can be considered "shall issue"... and I would tend to put even the notion we are "shall issue" in serious question when some gun boards deny people CPL for feeling that the person would be a danger... without specific facts to back it up. Why have that blanket statement when they already have listed the convictions which lead to a CPL denial?

jennformer

Well that is depressing. I work in Detroit and often have to work late. I already carry pepper spray and a knife (legal size) with me. Is it blanket anyone who has ever been caught driving on a suspended license? Or does 1st offense get excluded? Do they take into consideration that it was a speeding ticket and not DWI or something else along that line?

I do appreciate all the help, just trying to get my facts straight prior to spending the money to apply since the law sounds a little vague to me.

Sounds like you were, especially since it shows on your SOS record as such. My guess, and I am not a lawyer so this is in no way legal advice, is that you are most likely out of luck for about another 3 years.

You asked: "What exactly does driving on a suspended license have to do with concealed carry anyhow????"

Answer: The State of Michigan has regrettably decided it does have something to do with getting a CPL. We have some, if not THE, most difficult requirements of any state that can be considered "shall issue"... and I would tend to put even the notion we are "shall issue" in serious question when some gun boards deny people CPL for feeling that the person would be a danger... without specific facts to back it up. Why have that blanket statement when they already have listed the convictions which lead to a CPL denial?

FreeInAZ

Well that is depressing. I work in Detroit and often have to work late. I already carry pepper spray and a knife (legal size) with me. Is it blanket anyone who has ever been caught driving on a suspended license? Or does 1st offense get excluded? Do they take into consideration that it was a speeding ticket and not DWI or something else along that line?

I do appreciate all the help, just trying to get my facts straight prior to spending the money to apply since the law sounds a little vague to me.

I think they think that - if you were irresponsible enough to get the DL suspended, disobeyed a court order not to drive : you are not responsible enough to carry a pistol concealed. I believe your story. They simply don't care though. Let's spin this point of lengthy disqualifiers on it's head. Many police officers have been convicted of domestic violence, yet they are not banned from carrying concealed weapons under the current law. How does that work?