• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cpl Question in Macomb county Michigan

Zaypowe

Hey I just applyed for a cpl in macomb county i have some 2 dwls charges i was told they both where first offenses and the most recent there problly 4 years old would this affect me getting my cpl? has anyone been denied for driving offenses??

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Hey I just applyed for a cpl in macomb county i have some 2 dwls charges i was told they both where first offenses and the most recent there problly 4 years old would this affect me getting my cpl? has anyone been denied for driving offenses??

Concealed Pistol License Requirements

A. State Requirements
Applicants for a Michigan Concealed Pistol License must:

1. Be at least 21 years of age

2. Be a citizen of the United States or an immigrant alien lawfully admitted into the United States

3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:

The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or state identification card
The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record
The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state
Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.

4. Have successfully completed a pistol safety training course

5. Not be subject to any of the following:

An order requiring involuntary hospitalization or alternative treatment
An order finding legal incapacitation
A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity
6. Not be subject to a conditional bond release prohibiting purchase or possession of a firearm

7. Not be subject to a personal protection order

8. Not be prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under MCL 750.224f

9. Have never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere

10. Have no felony charge pending in Michigan or elsewhere

11. Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces

12. Have not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:

Failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident, MCL 257.617a
Operating while intoxicated, second offense, MCL 257.625(9)(b)
Drunk driving, commercial vehicle, MCL 257.625m(4)
Reckless driving, MCL 257.626
Driving while license suspended or revoked, second or subsequent offense, MCL 257.904

There is lengthy list of offenses that also indicate such a lack of maturity, and therefore disqualify you from getting a CPL for 8 years.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10926--,00.html

FreeInAZ

Uhm...since two (second comes after first) how can what you posted be accurate? Was the first Driving with a suspended license dismissed or expunged by a judge? If not - you are SOL for a cpl for atleast 4 more years. If it was - be prepared to be asked in great detail about your driving adventures in front of the gun board. It sounds like you are confused - maybe you should contact a lawyer to see where you really stand. At minimum go to the records department of your local PD & ask them for a copy (they may charge a fee) of your record.

Last edited:

Zaypowe

Ok the info I was given one that you can have more then one case of dwls as frist offense..
An your right I should check my record but I think on was changed being that I had a valid license
When i went to court i just remembered thatThanks thats a good idea

FreeInAZ

The gunboard will have a list of ALL your police "contacts" & they will use those that they can to reject you. So knowing this, yes you better pull your record and find out for sure what's on it and if there are errors, get a lawyer working on them ASAP!

flushot70

i got a friend that has been arrested four times for drunk driving. 3 of those 4 times the charge was second offense drunk driving. he has no felonies, owns guns and will be applying for his cpl next year about this time when his 8 year waiting period is over. so you can be charged for the same offense multiple times.

for the record he has been sober for over 4 years.

casper

I have nothing on my record that is on that list and I still got denied. I live in the republic of Ottawa county.:confused:

budlight

I hate to say it, but you are out of luck until 8 years has past since your last conviction.

casper

They wont tell me. There is a catch all ( Issuing a licence would be detrimental to the safty of applicant or other person ) That's what they hit me with. I don't understand, cause I'm 51 years old, and Ive never hurt anyone, ever.:confused::mad: Like I said I looked over the list with a fine toothed comb, and there is nothing that pertains to me.

FreeInAZ

They wont tell me. There is a catch all ( Issuing a licence would be detrimental to the safty of applicant or other person ) That's what they hit me with. I don't understand, cause I'm 51 years old, and Ive never hurt anyone, ever.:confused::mad: Like I said I looked over the list with a fine toothed comb, and there is nothing that pertains to me.

No dig meant casper. You have been talking about this for months. Have you DONE anything? It sounds like this could be many things. I heard of one person that was rejected because he had the same name and lived near a criminal that looked a little like him. He had to go to the gun board find out what the deal was. In the discription it noted the criminal had tat's on his arms. The applicant showed the board his arms which had no tat's and he was approved. Gun boards are composed of humans and sometimes their: lazy, stupid, or just don't care like many of their other members of the human race. :(

budlight

You need to retain an attorney and file a civil action against the board. If everything is clear with your record, they will be responisble for all costs.

MikeTheGreek

"detrimental to the safty of applicant or other person" < Have you ever spent any time in a mental health facility? Don't see why they'd think you're harmful to yourself or others if you have no violent crimes or anything. :eek:

FreeInAZ

"detrimental to the safty of applicant or other person" < Have you ever spent any time in a mental health facility? Don't see why they'd think you're harmful to yourself or others if you have no violent crimes or anything. :eek:

He may wear a Mow-Hawk...???:p Just kidding Mike. Good points above.
ETA- We will probably never know? Maybe he slept with one of the board members wife? Beat one in a game of blackjack? Maybe he walks around in a grass skirt while chewing pop tarts into pistol shapes? We just don't know. What we do know is the current system of gun boards offers plenty of room for abuses to occur. :(

Last edited:

casper

No dig meant casper. You have been talking about this for months. Have you DONE anything? It sounds like this could be many things. I heard of one person that was rejected because he had the same name and lived near a criminal that looked a little like him. He had to go to the gun board find out what the deal was. In the discription it noted the criminal had tat's on his arms. The applicant showed the board his arms which had no tat's and he was approved. Gun boards are composed of humans and sometimes their: lazy, stupid, or just don't care like many of their other members of the human race. :(

Just answering the questions given to me, I'll shut up about it from here on out, even if asked. Yes I am working on it, by the way.

casper

I don't eather, very frustrating. Ottawa countys just being Ottawa county. No I've never been in a mental health facility. I must be quiet about my situation now though. So please no more questions about it, thanks.

Last edited: