• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia wait and CHP question

F

Fenix

I've searched multiple times and come up with 1000 different answers.
I know most of you have gotten your handguns long ago, but when looking for the standard wait time after you walk into the store and purchase your gun, how long does the background usually take?
I've seen answers from 10 days, 1 hour, 10 minutes, a couple of hours, and a couple of days. Can someone clear this up for me?

I also know it varies by county when it comes to CCP but how long did it take you to get yours?

Thanks guys

mpguy

Re: Virginia wait and CCP question

I know most of you have gotten your handguns long ago, but when looking for the standard wait time after you walk into the store and purchase your gun, how long does the background usually take?
I've seen answers from 10 days, 1 hour, 10 minutes, a couple of hours, and a couple of days. Can someone clear this up for me?

I also know it varies by county when it comes to CCP but how long did it take you to get yours?

Thanks guys

You got different answers because not everyone is the same. Mine was 24 hrs. 4 days later, my buddy bought a Xd in 9mm. It took less than 5 min. It took I think 30 days for my chp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

F

Fenix

You got different answers because not everyone is the same. Mine was 24 hrs. 4 days later, my buddy bought a Xd in 9mm. It took less than 5 min. It took I think 30 days for my chp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I see, What year was this?

palerider116

Virginia wait and CCP question

I was buying ammo today and the wait time was over an hour for gun buyers. He was taking phone numbers to call people when their approval went through.

Fuller Malarkey

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#App_Not_Complete_45

The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified.

There is no standard wait time for firearm purchases from a Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer in Virginia. Your firearm purchase will need to approved or denied through the National Instant Criminal Background Check. The length of time to be approved or denied hinges on traffic volume and things on your check that might raise flags, requiring examination to assure you are not a prohibited person. By law, an FFL [dealer] must receive a response from the NICS within 3 days or the firearm sale can proceed, although the FFL seller is not required to do so.

That process is explained here:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

I'd like to make a suggestion: Look into a basic handgun training program. The NRA, located just to your west at 66 & 50, has designed some great training programs.

NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide students with hands-on introduction regarding the safe handling and proper use of pistols. The 3 hour classroom instruction includes Laser Training providing students with instant feedback during dry-fire exercises. Students will take this information and apply it to the live-fire exercises. Meets VA Concealed Handgun Permit prerequisite. We also offer additional one on one and group instruction as well.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I also know it varies by county when it comes to CCP ...?

Thanks guys

This CCP you write of - what is it?

Could you be referring to Virginia's Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)?

It's sort of like when someone refers to a "clip" when they mean a magazine. When you call a CHP by the name they used where you used to live we all go :banghead: and one of those cute internet kittehs gets squished.

stay safe.

F

Fenix

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#App_Not_Complete_45

The court shall issue the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it appears that the applicant is disqualified.

There is no standard wait time for firearm purchases from a Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer in Virginia. Your firearm purchase will need to approved or denied through the National Instant Criminal Background Check. The length of time to be approved or denied hinges on traffic volume and things on your check that might raise flags, requiring examination to assure you are not a prohibited person. By law, an FFL [dealer] must receive a response from the NICS within 3 days or the firearm sale can proceed, although the FFL seller is not required to do so.

That process is explained here:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_VFTP.shtm

I'd like to make a suggestion: Look into a basic handgun training program. The NRA, located just to your west at 66 & 50, has designed some great training programs.

NRA FIRST Steps Pistol is designed to provide students with hands-on introduction regarding the safe handling and proper use of pistols. The 3 hour classroom instruction includes Laser Training providing students with instant feedback during dry-fire exercises. Students will take this information and apply it to the live-fire exercises. Meets VA Concealed Handgun Permit prerequisite. We also offer additional one on one and group instruction as well.

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

Thanks for the reply. I've had my safety and hands on training with 2 different people, both cops.
Can't use it for my application with a CHP but i'm very confident of what they taught me. I never turn down advice though.

This CCP you write of - what is it?

Could you be referring to Virginia's Concealed Handgun Permit (CHP)?

It's sort of like when someone refers to a "clip" when they mean a magazine. When you call a CHP by the name they used where you used to live we all go :banghead: and one of those cute internet kittehs gets squished.

stay safe.

Eh I know.
Don't bring the kittehs into this.

TFred

Thanks for the reply. I've had my safety and hands on training with 2 different people, both cops.
Can't use it for my application with a CHP but i'm very confident of what they taught me. I never turn down advice though.
You might be able to use it. I've never heard of anyone trying this before but the code says this:

"9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate."

If you had your two LEO instructors write a short letter outlining what they taught you, I would suspect that a judge would accept it, unless he or she was just wanting to be a jerk about it. Hands-on, individual training by a LEO is certainly better than sitting through an internet-based set of Power Point slides.

Plus, it would be very interesting to see if it worked! :)

ETA: I bet you could even write/type up the letters outlining the training you received, and just have your trainer sign it. I'd add a note at the beginning that you were claiming option #9. :)

TFred

Last edited:
F

Fenix

You might be able to use it. I've never heard of anyone trying this before but the code says this:

"9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate."

If you had your two LEO instructors write a short letter outlining what they taught you, I would suspect that a judge would accept it, unless he or she was just wanting to be a jerk about it. Hands-on, individual training by a LEO is certainly better than sitting through an internet-based set of Power Point slides.

Plus, it would be very interesting to see if it worked! :)

ETA: I bet you could even write/type up the letters outlining the training you received, and just have your trainer sign it. I'd add a note at the beginning that you were claiming option #9. :)

TFred

Well now that you've put that thought into my mind, i'm going to try. I agree about the internet CHP classes, I will use that as a backup though if they deny the letters.

AFCop

Newport News Circuit Court

Made me wait the entire 45 days and I say this because I applied in the middle of December and permit was issued on 4 Jan 13 (says so right on the permit, lol) however, I didnt recieve it in the mail until day 45 (with a post mark of 2 days before). Almost like they have a system in place to ensure you get it around day 45, regardless of when it is actually issued.

va_tazdad

Well.....

I never had a background check of that type because I have not bought a gun from a dealer, yet. All mine were purchased from friends or private owners. No paperwork, none of the government's business!

My original CHP application took 30 days before the clerk mailed it back, but the renewal 5 years later took 9 days.

Bear in mind, I have fingerprint cards and background checks dating back to 1974 by the Feds due to the clearances I used to hold and being sworn in multiple jurisdictions.

Yes, the government does know how many times a week I change my underwear. That was the price I paid for my clearances way back when.

F

Fenix

I never had a background check of that type because I have not bought a gun from a dealer, yet. All mine were purchased from friends or private owners. No paperwork, none of the government's business!

My original CHP application took 30 days before the clerk mailed it back, but the renewal 5 years later took 9 days.

Bear in mind, I have fingerprint cards and background checks dating back to 1974 by the Feds due to the clearances I used to hold and being sworn in multiple jurisdictions.

Yes, the government does know how many times a week I change my underwear. That was the price I paid for my clearances way back when.

Not gonna lie,
That was pretty funny.

Thanks for the responses, I'll apply now so i'll have it by time I get my gun.

va_tazdad

Way back when...

Not gonna lie,
That was pretty funny.

Thanks for the responses, I'll apply now so i'll have it by time I get my gun.

The 1st time I applied, I was sworn in VA and the judge refused to issue one to me as I was sworn 24/7 according to him and didn't need it. After it changed to "Shall issue" I applied and received mine. I OC Far more than I conceal, but my part time job is the reason I have one.

And don't ask me about lie detector or drug tests.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
As for how long the wait is for the NICS, the shortest I can remember was not too long ago at Virginia Arms in Manassas. About 12 minutes. The longest was at a gun show in Bealteton (Hugo's) in the late 90's. That one was over an hour and a half.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
As for how long the wait is for the NICS, the shortest I can remember was not too long ago at Virginia Arms in Manassas. About 12 minutes. The longest was at a gun show in Bealteton (Hugo's) in the late 90's. That one was over an hour and a half.

My wife usually goes through in 3 minutes or less....unless the computers are down.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
When it's done by computer, I clear in less than a minute - often MUCH less - after the clerk hits "submit". The only time it takes longer is when it's done by phone; that's the nature of the communication. All told, still less than 5 minutes.

For CHP -- 45 days, just like nearly everyone in Fairfax County.

Steeler-gal

Thanks guys

It is different for everyone. The last 2 I purchased my checks came back in under a minute. I have a friend who gets delayed almost every time and then she bought one recently and was approved in less than 5 minutes. It just depends.

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
My wife bought a S&W Bodyguard today. In the time between putting it in the computer and walking to the printer, it was approved.

Steeler-gal

My wife bought a S&W Bodyguard today. In the time between putting it in the computer and walking to the printer, it was approved.

That's what happened to me last time too. The guy hit Submit after filling out the fields and i hear him say "Wow." When I asked what happened he said "Nothing. You're approved already." :)

==========================================
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

TFred

I haven't been in a store lately... but a while back (2-3 months?), they were all out of guns! Are the supplies coming back, or are these quick approvals simply because the supply is so bought-out there aren't as many checks being done?

TFred