• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia wait and CHP question

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
According to Jerry of Trader Jerry's, it's my last name that causes some concern when the NICS is run. Seems that there is a famous (actually infamous) sports figure who shares the same last name as me. This is complicated by the fact that he and my father's side of the family are from the same part of Virginia.

kenny

According to Jerry of Trader Jerry's, it's my last name that causes some concern when the NICS is run. Seems that there is a famous (actually infamous) sports figure who shares the same last name as me. This is complicated by the fact that he and my father's side of the family are from the same part of Virginia.

I can see how Boy gives people in Virginia some grief. Next time tell them you are Mr. Boy and I am sure that will speed thing up for you.

F

Fenix

Uh huh <.<
I'm sure it was "Somone else".

Thanks for all the information guys.

I believe when i went into the store, Andrew from Guns and Ammo in Manassas told me I could purchase the gun online, have it sent to them next month but I could come in and fill the prerequisites so I can basically pay the FFL transfer fee and walk with the gun. I may be mistaken or interpreted what he said wrong, so maybe someone can confirm this works.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I can see how Boy gives people in Virginia some grief. Next time tell them you are Mr. Boy and I am sure that will speed thing up for you.

In Surry County that name will get you arrested, especially if he's related to the infamous Big Boy:uhoh:.
Get you kicked off the ferry for National Security reasons too.

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
two important factors in turnaround time for "instant" background checks:

1) how busy the single individual at the VSP office happens to be at the moment - when there' s a gun show going on, particularly in Northern Va., they get backed up; and

2) if you've got a record for an arrest, even where the case was dismissed or you were acquitted, the computer will kick the check back to the human who has to review the record. That will generally add a minimum of about forty-five minutes to the procedure. So, even if it was for something trivial, and you got a summons rather than a warrant, there's going to be a record of an "arrest". If there was no finding of guilt in the case, you're entitled to get the record expunged if the case was dismissed or you were acquitted. That expungement will speed up your application process dramatically.

Last edited:
F

Fenix

two important factors in turnaround time for "instant" background checks:

1) how busy the single individual at the VSP office happens to be at the moment - when there' s a gun show going on, particularly in Northern Va., they get backed up; and

2) if you've got a record for an arrest, even where the case was dismissed or you were acquitted, the computer will kick the check back to the human who has to review the record. That will generally add a minimum of about forty-five minutes to the procedure. So, even if it was for something trivial, and you got a summons rather than a warrant, there's going to be a record of an "arrest". If there was no finding of guilt in the case, you're entitled to get the record expunged if the case was dismissed or you were acquitted. That expungement will speed up your application process dramatically.

Yeah, I will be going to the Gun Show tomorrow. I don't plan on purchasing the gun till mid may.

Luckily I have no arrests, summons or even a traffic ticket. So I think i'll be solid.

Can anyone confirm my other question, as posted : "I believe when i went into the store, Andrew from Guns and Ammo in Manassas told me I could purchase the gun online, have it sent to them next month but I could come in and fill the prerequisites so I can basically pay the FFL transfer fee and walk with the gun. I may be mistaken or interpreted what he said wrong, so maybe someone can confirm this works."

Thanks again guys for all the information.