• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Celebrating the Spirit of Resistance April 19, 1775

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In his liberty-tree letter, Thomas Jefferson remarked that government should be reminded from time to time that the people possess the spirit of resistance.

This April 19 marks the 238[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of the battles of Lexington and Concord--the shot heard round the world--when local militia engaged British regulars sent to seize arms and ammunition.

It was quite an amazing fight. The minutemen turned back the redcoats, forcing a fighting retreat almost all the way back to Boston.

If you've never read the details of the fighting, I urge you to set aside a few minutes to look it up on-line and read about it.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Good Idea. I just read again Rothbards historical account of it......awesome!

I'm thinking the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the right to resist. It is the right to use tools to protect what we would naturally protect without them, or in other words do and use what ever is necessary.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Good Idea. I just read again Rothbards historical account of it......awesome!

I'm thinking the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the right to resist. It is the right to use tools to protect what we would naturally protect without them, or in other words do and use what ever is necessary.

We have the implements to resist. A stand-up slugfest with the standing army will not be necessary. The big question is, do we have the will to resist?

The colonists endured an awful lot before they said they could endure no more. But when that point was reached - Katy bar the door! I'd hate to see the focus group that decides we have had enough then decide what to do about it. (and yes, I know that the Committees of Correspondence were the focus groups of their day.)

stay safe.

palerider116

I taught a class on the self defense as a natural right, using Locke, Hobbes, and Montesquieu as references. I then addressed the second amendment as a natural right, the history of the British assault weapon ban of 1775, and the verbiage of the second amendment as it would have been understood in the 1700s. All with quotes from the founding fathers.

I even worked a Gadsden flag into the presentation. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366350600.387019.jpg

My coworkers either got it or totally missed the point.

sudden valley gunner

We have the implements to resist. A stand-up slugfest with the standing army will not be necessary. The big question is, do we have the will to resist?

The colonists endured an awful lot before they said they could endure no more. But when that point was reached - Katy bar the door! I'd hate to see the focus group that decides we have had enough then decide what to do about it. (and yes, I know that the Committees of Correspondence were the focus groups of their day.)

stay safe.

I agree, I wrote on this recently. This very forum is one of those tools and we complaining and talking about it is part of that resistance. I hope it never comes to the point of armed combat.

I feel though that the Right to Keep and Bear arms is the right to resist. If humans never invented arms we still would fight to protect our rights, but since we are not animals with quills, or claws, razor sharp teeth, or venom, we do what humans do, make tools to protect our fundamental rights.

After studying the period of the first colony to the War of Independence.....they didn't have it as bad as we do in many ways....they had a very low bar of what they would put up with.

By the time of the revolution the compromise Brittian was offering was only a "small" intrusion compared to the previous acts.....they just simply had enough and said no more period.

rushcreek2

I taught a class on the self defense as a natural right, using Locke, Hobbes, and Montesquieu as references. I then addressed the second amendment as a natural right, the history of the British assault weapon ban of 1775, and the verbiage of the second amendment as it would have been understood in the 1700s. All with quotes from the founding fathers.

I even worked a Gadsden flag into the presentation. View attachment 10278

My coworkers either got it or totally missed the point.

The necessity for " A well REGULATED militia ............" - the predicate REASON for WHY the RTKBA of the people SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED - in the words of Gen. George Washinton written from his HQ at the Winter encampment at Valley Forge to Henry Lauren, President of the Continental Congress:

" I do not know from what cause this alarming deficiency or rather total failure of SUPPLIES arises; But unless more Vigorous exertions and better REGULATIONS take place in that ( SUPPLY ) line , immediately, this Army must dissolve. I have done all in my power by remonstrating, by writing to, by ordering the Commissaries on this Head...but without any good effect, or obtaining more than a present scanty relief."

The anti-2A constituents endeavor to repeatedly distort the meaning of the 2A term " well regulated militia " in order to suggest that the 2A actually allows for their modern interpretation of "regulated" ( laws restricting )..INFRINGEMENT.

Gen. George Washington , AND THE DRAFTERS OF THE 2A had an accurate understanding that a "well regulated militia " is a MILITARY FORCE UNIFORMLY WELL EQUIPPED AND SUPPLIED WITH MILITARY STYLE ARMS.

We all understand this. I just wanted to share this perspective expressed by Washington. It's the first time I have come across it.

Old Virginia Joe

The necessity for " A well REGULATED militia ............" - the predicate REASON for WHY the RTKBA of the people SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED - in the words of Gen. George Washinton written from his HQ at the Winter encampment at Valley Forge to Henry Lauren, President of the Continental Congress:

" I do not know from what cause this alarming deficiency or rather total failure of SUPPLIES arises; But unless more Vigorous exertions and better REGULATIONS take place in that ( SUPPLY ) line , immediately, this Army must dissolve. I have done all in my power by remonstrating, by writing to, by ordering the Commissaries on this Head...but without any good effect, or obtaining more than a present scanty relief."

The anti-2A constituents endeavor to repeatedly distort the meaning of the 2A term " well regulated militia " in order to suggest that the 2A actually allows for their modern interpretation of "regulated" ( laws restricting )..INFRINGEMENT.

Gen. George Washington , AND THE DRAFTERS OF THE 2A had an accurate understanding that a "well regulated militia " is a MILITARY FORCE UNIFORMLY WELL EQUIPPED AND SUPPLIED WITH MILITARY STYLE ARMS.

We all understand this. I just wanted to share this perspective expressed by Washington. It's the first time I have come across it.

+1 on this above. Thanks for sharing it. This also says to me that this is evidence of why "We, the People" should acquire and maintain a SUPPLY of both arms and ammo for the possible crisis to come. Like the Continentals (us), we may find ourselves cut off from resupply in a crisis, and woe to them that run short in time of need. So, we either "learn from history" through these quotes from our wise leader, or we perish to our own modern "wisdom" and foolishness. The stroke of Almighty blessing towards us leading to Yorktown may not happen again if we are so haughty as to ignore the lessons we first learned the hard way.