• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rohm "RG 10"

self preservation

I was selling a used cell phone the other day and during the haggling process, the potential buyer and myself found ourselves at a $10.00 difference. He said "wait a minute, I have an old revolver that I will throw in." When he brought it out it was an old German made Rohm .22. I wasn't real familiar with this particular gun, but could tell that it was a piece of chit. I asked him if it would even shoot and of course the answer was "oh yeah, best little shooting gun ever." I had a hand full of .22 LR in my console but this gun will only shoot shorts. He dug around in his car and found one, single, solitary .22 short.

Needless to say I shot his one and only round that he had. The gun went bang and a bullet hit the target. I thought what hell, for 10 bucks I'll take it. Worse case scenario I would trade it for a box of ammo later down the road or better yet, screw some gun buy back program by dumping it off on them for about a hundred bucks. But for the time being I'm thinking about keeping it around as a "beater" gun....not an EDC and not even a BUG, but just to have something that if it falls out of a fishing boat I'm not heart broken.

I have been reading reviews and everyone agrees that this gun is a cheap piece of crap that probably isn't even worth the metal that it is made of. But when it comes to the opinion of the guns safety, the views vary a lot. Some say that lead will fly out of both sides of the cylinder when shot. Some say that it will blown up in your hand and kill half the world. And some say that they have had one for years and have shot it numerous times without any issues. I know I can't and shouldn't expect much out of a $10.00 gun, but I wonder if it's even safe to shoot? Has any of you ever dealt with this model of gun before? If so, would you take it to the range for fun, or go ahead and turn it into a cool paper weight?

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I bought a Rohm 38 special over 30 years ago,,, It was alway reliable and worked as it should.
I didnt shoot it much and it is now a home defender, but not with me, and he is not a sport shooter,
So even now it hasnt been shot much, but Im sure it still works just fine,
In spite of all the reports of its poor workmanship.
I cant think of any reason your gun wouldnot be happy to shoot 22 longrifle, it was made for it,
and if the short went off OK then the 22LR will go off the sameway.
It should be a fun and cheap plinker, buy a box of good ammo and give it some excercise,,, enjoy.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
model 66

I have an RG that I picked up at the last "gun buy back" in Seattle. I have found it to be a great little .22 plinker. It now has a home in a cowboy holster and will go in with the camping gear.

self preservation

Well, I'm starting to feel better about my ole "El cheapo" gun. Like I said, I don't care that is of low value. I just want to be safe shooting it.

jeeper1

I had one of those 20 or so years ago. I bought it as a joke when I was a dealer for $18 new. It worked fine but the trigger pull was a tad stiff.

self preservation

I had one of those 20 or so years ago. I bought it as a joke when I was a dealer for $18 new. It worked fine but the trigger pull was a tad stiff.

I believe when you are firing it as a double action the trigger pull is something like 17 pounds. I believe these sold new back in the day for around 25 bucks. A Rohm is what Reagan was shot with. Then so began the Brady bunch. These have been banned from import since.

KBCraig

Ten bucks for a Rohm? You got your money's worth.... barely.

LOL, seriously, if it shoots, it counts. Good luck finding .22 Shorts, though. You might have better luck with Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri.

self preservation

Ten bucks for a Rohm? You got your money's worth.... barely.

LOL, seriously, if it shoots, it counts. Good luck finding .22 Shorts, though. You might have better luck with Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri.

A friend gave me 85 shorts. I will probably shoot just enough to get a feel of the gun, then it will probably never be shot again....at least not by me.