Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    My experience at Wal-Mart

    Tried opening carrying for the first time at my local Wal-Mart. It went well the whole time through the store right up until the end. I was with my wife and my 8 month old daughter, she got a little fussy so I ended up carrying her in my arms almost the whole time as well. My firearm, an IMI Jericho 941, was on my right hip in a Blackhawk OWB holster the whole time.
    No one said anything or even seemed to notice it right up until I got in line at the checkout. I was approached by a women in a white collared shirt and a tall man. The women appeared to be an employee of Wal-Mart as she had a name tag and a headset device, the man was in standard clothes and didn't appear to have any affiliation with them never speaking a word the whole time.
    The women said that my firearm was making some of her associates uncomfortable and asked me to remove it from the store. I told her that it wouldn't be a problem but that I'd heard Wal-Mart supported the laws of its particular state. She told me Wal-Mart only supports Concealed Carry and repeated that it made her associates uncomfortable to see a firearm openly carried. I complied with her request and returned my firearm to my car, returning into the store to pay for my items.
    Afterwards I sent a letter to Wal-Mart via their Customer support, They responded saying they have "no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun." They also have no sign posted at the door regarding firearms.
    So I called the store and requested the manager. He seemed completely clueless on the issue although was quite polite discussing it with me. At the end of the conversation told me firearms are not permitted at all unless concealed, but not because it was permitted, only because they couldn't know you were carrying. He claimed there should be a sign on the door saying no firearms and that he would check to be sure there was one, despite me telling him about the letter from their Customer Care.
    I'm not sure what to do about this issue at this point, other than to un-tuck my shirt and wear an IWB holster. It has been a few weeks now and there is still no sign posted at the door. Any thoughts or Ideas?

  2. #2
    Regular Member KimberTLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    11

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    If I was closer to Mansfield I would be going tonight to open carry and record the conversation with the manager and send a copy and a letter to corporate. Also I would educate them on the store policy with a copy of the actual policy. Good luck to whatever you decide to due.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho941 View Post
    My experience at Wal-Mart

    Tried opening carrying for the first time at my local Wal-Mart. It went well the whole time through the store right up until the end. I was with my wife and my 8 month old daughter, she got a little fussy so I ended up carrying her in my arms almost the whole time as well. My firearm, an IMI Jericho 941, was on my right hip in a Blackhawk OWB holster the whole time.

    No one said anything or even seemed to notice it right up until I got in line at the checkout. I was approached by a women in a white collared shirt and a tall man. The women appeared to be an employee of Wal-Mart as she had a name tag and a headset device, the man was in standard clothes and didn't appear to have any affiliation with them never speaking a word the whole time.

    The women said that my firearm was making some of her associates uncomfortable and asked me to remove it from the store. I told her that it wouldn't be a problem but that I'd heard Wal-Mart supported the laws of its particular state. She told me Wal-Mart only supports Concealed Carry and repeated that it made her associates uncomfortable to see a firearm openly carried. I complied with her request and returned my firearm to my car, returning into the store to pay for my items.

    Afterwards I sent a letter to Wal-Mart via their Customer support, They responded saying they have "no policy against customers carrying their handgun in our stores as long as he/she is legally permitted by their state to carry the handgun." They also have no sign posted at the door regarding firearms.

    So I called the store and requested the manager. He seemed completely clueless on the issue although was quite polite discussing it with me. At the end of the conversation told me firearms are not permitted at all unless concealed, but not because it was permitted, only because they couldn't know you were carrying. He claimed there should be a sign on the door saying no firearms and that he would check to be sure there was one, despite me telling him about the letter from their Customer Care.

    I'm not sure what to do about this issue at this point, other than to un-tuck my shirt and wear an IWB holster. It has been a few weeks now and there is still no sign posted at the door. Any thoughts or Ideas?
    The whitespace makes your story more readable.

    Go back to corporate. Tell them what the manager said. What is said goes completely against Walmart corporate policy. Ask them to take action against the store to correct the situation.

    There have been previous instances, and Walmart ALWAYS supports the carrier. There is a manager at a store in the Montgomery area who disappeared from the store after an incident with an OCer I know.

    P.S. I would have walked away from the purchases. Let 'em put 'em all back.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Strange, when I entered the information the first time it still had those white spaces. not sure how it ended up changing on me.
    Thanks for the quite reply's. I'll give re-writing to Wal-Mart another try to see if there is any helping it, should I contact them through their customer service again or is there a better route?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Call the area manager first. If that does not get some movement, move up the food chain.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    SNIP
    There have been previous instances, and Walmart ALWAYS supports the carrier. There is a manager at a store in the Montgomery area who disappeared from the store after an incident with an OCer I know.

    P.S. I would have walked away from the purchases. Let 'em put 'em all back.
    +1, I too have fought the Walmart battle and won quite easily. You should get the phone number of the market manager (store manager's boss). It should be posted somewhere in the store usually at the service desk. Call them and I will almost guarantee that they resolve the situation expeditiously.

    I too agree with leaving your purchases. Don't reward their poor behavior with your money.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  7. #7
    Regular Member markush's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho941 View Post
    I complied with her request and returned my firearm to my car, returning into the store to pay for my items.
    That part right there baffles me!

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Well it was mainly for my wife's sake. She's not too keen on firearms to begin with and to make a statement such as that could have upset her as it was a bit late and we were grocery shopping.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Then if you are so willing to go into that good night, I have nothing more to add. I am willing to help you fight. I don't care a whit what happens to folks who won't stand up for themselves.

    Moving on.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    I think she'd have been okay with the standing up to them thing, just not the "Lets go hungry for the night" thing lol

    I sent a letter to the customer support and I'll be stopping by Wall-Mart later tonight to look for the number for the head manager, Thank you for all the help so far I'll try to keep you up to date on on-goings.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Shop elsewhere. Either stand up or don't ask for help from me.

    Yeah, I know I moved on. I am done now.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  12. #12
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho941 View Post
    I think she'd have been okay with the standing up to them thing, just not the "Lets go hungry for the night" thing lol

    I sent a letter to the customer support and I'll be stopping by Wall-Mart later tonight to look for the number for the head manager, Thank you for all the help so far I'll try to keep you up to date on on-goings.
    JERICHO, if they had said they did not want your baby in there what would you have done? what would you have done if they said they did not like the color of your skin, you must wait out side till your wife got the shopping done.

    there are too many stores (that includes Walmarts) that you could have gone to. make them you _itch. if you can't get that store to do the right thing then there are hundreds more that will
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    I understand what you guys are saying, I was a bit shookin up at the time as it was my first time open carrying, didn't think id have any trouble at walmart, and was half way out of the store when I remembered I still had the debit card on me. The misses was half way through checking out and it being as late as it was no other stores other then a Walmart in town would have been open. But I'll remember your point and keep it in mind if the situation should ever arise again.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Yeah. I was a bit harsh. First time and hassled is hard to deal with.

    Unmoved on.

    There are a lot of guys who have been in these situations over and over again. Read what we have to write. Our strategies work.

    And always remember, the goal is to normalize OC and to denormalize hoplophobia.

    Slack officially cut.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    307
    It is my understanding that Wal-Mart corporate policy is to allow concealed carry if allowed by state law. However, it is up to local management as to whether they allow open carry. They do not post notices to that effect, but on a case-by-case basis, they may give issue direct oral notice that open carry is not allowed. Of course, you are legally obliged to accept that oral notice.

    That said, if I recall correctly, I was carrying openly the last time I was in that Wal-Mart, and nobody said anything. And at some point, if they are relying strictly on oral notice, do they eventually risk accusations that their policy is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory fashion?

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Quote Originally Posted by Werz View Post
    It is my understanding that Wal-Mart corporate policy is to allow concealed carry if allowed by state law. However, it is up to local management as to whether they allow open carry. They do not post notices to that effect, but on a case-by-case basis, they may give issue direct oral notice that open carry is not allowed. Of course, you are legally obliged to accept that oral notice.

    That said, if I recall correctly, I was carrying openly the last time I was in that Wal-Mart, and nobody said anything. And at some point, if they are relying strictly on oral notice, do they eventually risk accusations that their policy is being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory fashion?
    From personal experience, I can assure you that Walmart policy is to allow OC where OC is not prohibited by State law. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I personally know of two instances of OC in a Walmart that was harassed. Both (in and around Montgomery, AL) were addressed by corporate in favor of the carrier and against the manager. In one instance the manager disappeared from that Walmart.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho941 View Post
    Well it was mainly for my wife's sake. She's not too keen on firearms to begin with and to make a statement such as that could have upset her as it was a bit late and we were grocery shopping.
    Getting a new wife is an option ... guns v wife bye bye wife (4 me)

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Lol, don't get me wrong. The misses does enjoy going out to the range, especially shooting rifles and things with a bit of a kick. She just doesn't care to open carry is all.

    Just got back from Walmart with the Marketing Managers phone number and name. While I was in the Customer Support Area I notice a strange sign though. It read "WARNING !! If you are carrying a firearm in this liquor establishment, you may be guilty of a felony and subject to a mandatory jail term of one or two years." Now stop me if I'm wrong but I was pretty sure that only applied to establishments that sold alcohol to be drunk on premiss.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    Don't pay any attention the the CT resident being rude in an OH forum.

    If I understand correctly, the way the law is written, it is not necessary for the establishment to serve the liquor that is drunk on the premises. This may not apply to a retail establishment, but my understanding is that the following circumstances will be a violation of OH law (I have no idea whether a court will uphold it):

    1. You are in an establishment with a class D license.
    2. Your are carrying.
    3. You do not have a CHL.
    4. Someone is consuming alcohol (regardless of source).

    Boom! YOU are the criminal.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    From personal experience, I can assure you that Walmart policy is to allow OC where OC is not prohibited by State law. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I personally know of two instances of OC in a Walmart that was harassed. Both (in and around Montgomery, AL) were addressed by corporate in favor of the carrier and against the manager. In one instance the manager disappeared from that Walmart.
    My only response to that is a direct quote from a Wal-Mart email posted in the OFCC Criminal Protection Zones (CPZs) forum less than a year ago:

    "If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel."
    YMMV.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    My experience at Mansfield Possum Run Wal-Mart

    That may well be a policy where OC is not allowed or a specific response to a specific incident. But, in general, my personal experience tells me that Walmart allows OC where State law allows OC.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

    <o>

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Ashland, OH
    Posts
    7
    Finally got through to the marketing managers office. The assistant took the call, listened to the situation and told me she'd forward the information over to Jim. She said he may call back in a short while to discuss the situation in detail.

    I got a call back from some sort of Wal-Mart representative. After telling him the situation he said that Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask anyone with a firearm to leave the building or remove the firearm from the building. he said open carry is uncommon and as such makes people feel uncomfortable, which is grounds to ask the person carrying to remove the firearm or himself from the building.

    He said concealed carry is still perfectly fine but if the weapon becomes displayed I may be asked to leave.

    I also sent a letter back to Customer Support about a week ago, who told me the policy, but haven't gotten a reply.

    Seems I'm at a dead end

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Why are you going through marketing? This is something that should be dealt with in their general counsel's office (or equivalent) or the executive offices, where policy comes from.

    Unless WalMart has changed corporate policy, OC is generally acceptable at all stores in States where OC is lawful, including Ohio. I can assure you that I have been directly involved in this situation twice before. WalMart has been unequivocal with its local management: OC is acceptable.

    Step 1 is the area or regional manager (whatever they call the office). Failing that, step 2 is the executive offices, not marketing!

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    203
    Wife and I had a similar incident at Ashland WM... We had finished all of our shopping, I walked slightly faster than my wife leaving ( i wanted a cigarette!) just started to light up, and the wife calls me back... surrounded by 3 associates letting her know that "several customers" had complained that my 8 month pregnant, 5'3" wife chose to open carry on her right hip, and carry our daughter in her left arm. (Isn't that dangerous??? lol for the bad guy!) Anyhow, i walk back in and ask what the problem is, asking if WalMart's policy had changed. They said no, they just wanted to let us know... I said thanks and walked out... (with the wife and kid, of course...) seems to be a disturbing trend as of late

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    As long as the associates were not being judgmental, it is good that they informed you that some wackadoodle griped about your gun. Not that you should do anything about their ill-conceived feelings, it's just that you might want to be ready for a visit from the local constabulary in case they also complained to 911.

    Time to double-check the batteries in the recorder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •