• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1 cop per every 15 sq. ft. area -- # of cops in Boston - roughly

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/boston-mit-shooting-explosion-suspect-watertown-064355149.html

BOSTON—Thousands of law enforcement officers are entering the 15th hour of a massive, door-to-door manhunt for a suspect in Monday's Boston Marathon bombings that wounded more than 170 people and left three dead.... The city of Boston and its surrounding areas have ground to a standstill as the manhunt continues in a 20-block radius of Watertown, with local leaders warning residents to stay indoors.

Lets see ... that's about 1 cop per about every 15 sq. ft .... I suggest that every cop turn their head around .. there he is!

20 blk radius ~ 10000ft 2K of cops .... roughly 1 cop per 15 sq.ft.

Fallschirjmäger

Do Boston city blocks differ markedly from New York City city blocks or Chicago city blocks?

NYC = 278,784sq ft x 20 = 5,575,680 sq ft.
Chicago = 435,600 x 20= 8,712,000 sq ft.

"Nominal" city block = 100,000 sq ft. x 20 = 2,000,000

Boston PD is reportedly 2144 (2000)

So there are anywhere between 1,000 sq ft per officer (nominal) to 2,700 (NYC)

You were only off by a decimal point, I'm just bustin' ya chops.:p

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Do Boston city blocks differ markedly from New York City city blocks or Chicago city blocks?

NYC = 278,784sq ft x 20 = 5,575,680 sq ft.
Chicago = 435,600 x 20= 8,712,000 sq ft.

"Nominal" city block = 100,000 sq ft. x 20 = 2,000,000

Boston PD is reportedly 2144 (2000)

So there are anywhere between 1,000 sq ft per officer (nominal) to 2,700 (NYC)

You were only off by a decimal point, I'm just bustin' ya chops.:p

city block "radius" was said ... so 20 blocks (8 blocks to a mile or ~5000ft) 20*5000/8~12500 ft radius ... 2(pi)r = 78500 sq ft .... 2000 cops, roughly = 39 sq ft per cop ... odd, my calc must have missed the "2" multiplication step ... old calc used...

That's how I interpreted the data ... some folks use "blocks" as distance ... its not right, its just done that way (go 3 blocks this way)

eh, found him hiding in a boat .... like hiding in a bush !

Last edited:

eye95

2(pi)r gives circumference. (pi)r^2 gives area.

I didn't pay much more attention to your calculations than that, but that error alone is gross enough to warrant dismissing the rest of what you calculated. However, I generally dismiss out-of-hand everything you post anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

Totally ignoring the fact that I pointed out a gross arithmetic error. Not surprising at all

Once again (since he ignored his grade-school error) 2(pi)r gives circumference. (pi)r^2 give area.

Laughable.

Go ahead. Respond again without acknowledging your ignorant error. Give me another chance to make your calculations look foolish.

You may not remember, but I spent 15 years as a math teacher in a prior life.

Go ahead; make my day.

This is fun.

<o>

davidmcbeth

Banned
Totally ignoring the fact that I pointed out a gross arithmetic error. Not surprising at all

Once again (since he ignored his grade-school error) 2(pi)r gives circumference. (pi)r^2 give area.

Laughable.

Go ahead. Respond again without acknowledging your ignorant error. Give me another chance to make your calculations look foolish.

You may not remember, but I spent 15 years as a math teacher in a prior life.

Go ahead; make my day.

This is fun.

<o>

Troll troll troll troll eye is a troll, I think you are an anti too .... just here to create trouble

eye95

No trouble at all.

Once again, elementary school math lesson: 2(pi)r gives circumference. (pi)r^2 give area.

Keep posting. Keep ignoring your grade-school error. I'll keep pointing it out.

This is fun.

<o>

eye95

While I bear some resemblance to the gentleman in the picture, I am currently drinking a Yuengling.

Dos Equis is good, though!

Last edited:

eye95

Skaal!

Raises a fresh Yuengling (served by the hottest bartender I have seen in a while!).

She is so properly round in just the right places as to do Pi proud!

<o>

Fallschirjmäger

oh-you-guys.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

If the gentleman would read the first post, he would see that the figure 2,000 was mentioned. As that was the standard I used the same. I merely fact-checked the strength of the BPD to ensure credibility.
20 blk radius ~ 10000ft 2K of cops .... roughly 1 cop per 15 sq.ft.
(Emphasis mine.)

Last edited: