• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walker won't push for Wis. gun background checks

Law abider

I just read an article in the Pioneer Press that Walker will not push for background checks to close loopholes but will focus on treating mental illness. Now the US senate defeated this type of bill and Rep Richards has introduced a bill on this issue that is not been brought to the floor. What got my attention was the Marquette University poll shows that 81 percent want the universal background checks and 51 percent favor banning assault weapons.
Now those numbers seem very high to me. Do they to you too?

here are the articles: http://www.twincities.com/wisconsin...=Search-www.twincities.com-www.twincities.com

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/.

NoTolerance

First, they intentionally oversampled Milwaukee.

Second, while I don't recall the exact wording used for the question, it was phrased in such a way as to almost guarantee an answer in the affirmative.

Third, the poll was conducted right after Sandy Hook, when emotional responses were beating out logical ones. We've since seen people start leaning back towards reason again.

pkbites

I couldn't possibly care less what the majority wants. Popular opinion must never be allowed to dictate our liberties.

The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by both the U.S. Constitution and the Wisconsin State Constitution. Constitutions are diliberately made hard to change and are made to protect our rights from both government and the will of the sheeple.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I couldn't possibly care less what the majority wants. Popular opinion must never be allowed to dictate our liberties.

The right to keep and bear arms is guaranteed by both the U.S. Constitution and the Wisconsin State Constitution. Constitutions are diliberately made hard to change and are made to protect our rights from both government and the will of the sheeple.
What he said....

117tcp1.jpg

apjonas

Nicely Stated

but doesn't mean much when the a constitution is de facto amended by statute or court decision and the people do not recognize much less oppose such moves.

Three cheers and a tiger for you for stating this phrase correctly. Just a small raspberry for the typo/misspelling below.