• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Perfect LEO Stop

Sundiver

This young man conducts himself impeccably and walks away with a win. It may of already made the rounds elsewhere on the forums but I hadn't seen it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx...aw-student-know-your-rights_news#.UXHoSrXvt6I

Actually now that I've had some time to digest that video I have a couple of questions for the more enlightened here. One practical, one theoretical. The practical one first:

The scene where the officer asks the young man for his ID, then explains the he may be a felon and felons can't carry guns. Isn't that the presumption of guilt before innocence? Which I think is what the young man asks the officer? Do you have any reason to suspect I may be a felon?

The theoretical question: I know this is just theory and would never work in practice but, in the state of Kentucky where you have the Constitutional Right to open carry, wouldn't you have the same "right" to open carry as a LEO? We're both protected under the or by the Kentucky Laws? Give that, wouldn't you have the same, "theoretical right" to ask for his weapon during a stop so you'd feel safer? Again, I know it'd never work in practice but as a point of law? I may also be totally off my rocker on this. ;)

notalawyer

Perfect Stop? Far from it.

First, it was an illegal detention. The LEO did not have a reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed.

Second, the individual's property was illegally seized.

In most states one is only required to provide ID when legally detained for suspicion of a crime being committed.

Sundiver

Perfect Stop? Far from it.

First, it was an illegal detention. The LEO did not have a reasonable suspicion of a crime being committed.

Second, the individual's property was illegally seized.

In most states one is only required to provide ID when legally detained for suspicion of a crime being committed.

As I said in the body it was handled incredibly well by the young man being stopped as a result he walked away rather than being manhandled and arrested as we read about quite often. Obviously the officer should never have stopped him to begin with.

Maverick9

The LEO proved he's a perfect liar. Other than that there's nothing perfect about it. Confrontational, improper, no RAS, claims it's common practice. I don't know what your point is, except to illustrate that OC is hazardous to one's health (he swept the OC-er with the muzzle).

Fuller Malarkey

I'd offer this video as closer to perfect interaction

[video=youtube;1n1BHJs5V5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1n1BHJs5V5c[/video]

I don't mean the interaction with the first po-leese man, Officer Gum Snapper. Watch for the second officer that passes the open carrier on his way to meet up with Officer Gum Snapper.

That interaction, is closer to perfect. And proof it is possible for po-leese to respect the rights of a citizen. The need to establish dominance is not an indication of respect, regardless of rationalizations from those wanting you to believe it.

Officer #2 observed no wrongdoing, and went about his bidness. Officer #2 was astute enough to pick up on the citizen's non-verbal communicators, which offered nothing to indicate the citizen would appreciate a "non-consensual consensual encounter". Making the non-encounter "closer to perfect".

Maverick9

They should not be stopping LAC. One good reason is they're probably being diverted from dealing with crimes in progress elsewhere. Of course that pursuit might be dangerous and not as fun as stopping a guy being peaceful and legal.

FreeInAZ

They should not be stopping LAC. One good reason is they're probably being diverted from dealing with crimes in progress elsewhere. Of course that pursuit might be dangerous and not as fun as stopping a guy being peaceful and legal.

This thread is an oxymoron. If it was perfect, there wouldn't be a stop.

Both excellent points! It seems to be a shiny bobble most police cannot pass up - dicking with a legally armed citizen. One can only over time hope that this trend will taper off. :rolleyes:

tazxrulz

This young man conducts himself impeccably and walks away with a win. It may of already made the rounds elsewhere on the forums but I hadn't seen it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx...aw-student-know-your-rights_news#.UXHoSrXvt6I

This was in my home state of Maine. Boyscout339 is the young man in the video. He is a member here on these forums. Here is another one of his older vids that was also handled very well on his part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifv5qfuXmKQ

KYKevin

LOL. I had a good encounter today. Not a stop though. I was standing out in my yard. OC of course and plainly visible. When two patrol cars pulled up in front of my house. One blocking the driveway. The officers got out. The officer immediately said Sorry to block your drive but we need pick up one of your neighbors. I laughed and said sure don't worry about it. About 15 minutes later they were gone. Now that is a good friendly encounter. They do happen. I may start believing in santa and unicorns.