• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member to the forums here

Kwik Stix

Hello everyone!

I happened to stumble upon this site while refreshing myself on NC gun laws this evening. It's great to see so many like-minded people sharing experiences and knowledge amongst this forum. A little about me:

I am 28, live in Raleigh, and have owned a pistol since I was 21. I was raised around firearms my entire life, and am an Eagle Scout. I purchased my pistol and, as a student in FL, obtained my CHP. 2 months after getting my CHP and my pistol, a man blocked me in traffic and attacked me with a sheath knife. I drew on him before he could get the knife out of the holster, and he retreated. The police officer said he would have shot him, but I'm thankful I didn't have to.

I carry a S&W M&P 9mm full size, and I love it... but I think I will be moving on to a colt defender, or other type of compact 1911 .45 for conceal carry purposes. I open carry pretty often on my days off, but I do have a federal job, so I cannot even have my firearm in my vehicle at work. The only story I have regarding open carrying was at the Kroger off of Six Forks Rd here in Raleigh. It was around 9pm at night, and I went in to buy a few things. Standing in front of the cashier, I could see her eyeing my sidearm. Finally she started asking questions:

Kroger Cashier (KC): Are you a police officer?
Me: No Ma'am
KC: Are you a Bounty Hunter?
KC: Are you Military (I wear my late Grandfather's WWII Dog Tag on a necklace)
KC: Then why do you have a gun?
Me: I'm just exercising my 2A rights, and NC allows me to open carry legally.
KC: Oh ok (said quite cheerfully with a smile on her face), Have a good night!
Me: You as well!

Anyways, I hope I can contribute to this forum in some way in the future, and look forward to expanding my knowledge on our basic rights. I've already read up on State vs Huntley, as well as the nuances surrounding Cary and Chapel Hill.

I will say this about a Cary Experience... I was driving out of Cary on Hwy 54, but got stopped at the light at Maynard and 54. The light turn green, and I accidentally gave my car a little too much gas (car gets no traction in 1st gear if I don't go easy on the pedal). The tires chirped for a split second, and I regained control of the vehicle and went on my way normally. Of course, a CPD officer heard/saw this and pulled me over. It was a female officer (didn't get her name), but as I always do when pulled over with a firearm in the vehicle I came to a complete stop, turned the vehicle off, rolled down all my windows, turned on the interior lights, and informed the approaching officer that I had a concealed firearm on me while holding my hands outside of my window.

CPD: License/Reg/CHP please
Me: Here you go
CPD: Why do you need to have a Concealed Weapon or CHP?
Me: Excuse me?
CPD: Why do you feel the need to carry concealed? Are you afraid of something?
Me: Not that it's any of your business, but I am a law abiding citizen exercising my 2A rights, and I have actually used my CHP in self defense once before. I didn't pull the trigger, but I did deter my would be attacker
CPD: Well ok then... No more burn outs at stop lights.
Me: Yes Ma'am, have a safe evening

She kind of had an attitude the whole time, but eventually just let me go without much of a hassle. I was still a little offended and perplexed by her asking why I felt the need to carry concealed. Oh well :Shrugs:

Jamesm760

Hello everyone!

I happened to stumble upon this site while refreshing myself on NC gun laws this evening. It's great to see so many like-minded people sharing experiences and knowledge amongst this forum. A little about me:

I am 28, live in Raleigh, and have owned a pistol since I was 21. I was raised around firearms my entire life, and am an Eagle Scout. I purchased my pistol and, as a student in FL, obtained my CHP. 2 months after getting my CHP and my pistol, a man blocked me in traffic and attacked me with a sheath knife. I drew on him before he could get the knife out of the holster, and he retreated. The police officer said he would have shot him, but I'm thankful I didn't have to.

I carry a S&W M&P 9mm full size, and I love it... but I think I will be moving on to a colt defender, or other type of compact 1911 .45 for conceal carry purposes. I open carry pretty often on my days off, but I do have a federal job, so I cannot even have my firearm in my vehicle at work. The only story I have regarding open carrying was at the Kroger off of Six Forks Rd here in Raleigh. It was around 9pm at night, and I went in to buy a few things. Standing in front of the cashier, I could see her eyeing my sidearm. Finally she started asking questions:

Kroger Cashier (KC): Are you a police officer?
KC: Are you a Bounty Hunter?
KC: Are you Military (I wear my late Grandfather's WWII Dog Tag on a necklace)
KC: Then why do you have a gun?
Me: I'm just exercising my 2A rights, and NC allows me to open carry legally.
KC: Oh ok (said quite cheerfully with a smile on her face), Have a good night!
Me: You as well!

Anyways, I hope I can contribute to this forum in some way in the future, and look forward to expanding my knowledge on our basic rights. I've already read up on State vs Huntley, as well as the nuances surrounding Cary and Chapel Hill.

I will say this about a Cary Experience... I was driving out of Cary on Hwy 54, but got stopped at the light at Maynard and 54. The light turn green, and I accidentally gave my car a little too much gas (car gets no traction in 1st gear if I don't go easy on the pedal). The tires chirped for a split second, and I regained control of the vehicle and went on my way normally. Of course, a CPD officer heard/saw this and pulled me over. It was a female officer (didn't get her name), but as I always do when pulled over with a firearm in the vehicle I came to a complete stop, turned the vehicle off, rolled down all my windows, turned on the interior lights, and informed the approaching officer that I had a concealed firearm on me while holding my hands outside of my window.

CPD: License/Reg/CHP please
Me: Here you go
Me: Not that it's any of your business, but I am a law abiding citizen exercising my 2A rights, and I have actually used my CHP in self defense once before. I didn't pull the trigger, but I did deter my would be attacker
CPD: Well ok then... No more burn outs at stop lights.
Me: Yes Ma'am, have a safe evening

She kind of had an attitude the whole time, but eventually just let me go without much of a hassle. I was still a little offended and perplexed by her asking why I felt the need to carry concealed. Oh well :Shrugs:

Sounds to me like shes Pro OC... That's a smart LEO.
Welcome to the forums though!
I had similar experience where people look at the firearm and then gather up some courage to question the curiosity.

Iv'e honestly have not come across a LEO that gave attitude for CC.. usually its the other way around. :lol:

rotorhead

That's the impression I got, too- that she was pro- OC lol.

Welcome to the forum.

carolina guy

Me: For the same reason you do, personal protection. Also, it is a lot lighter than carrying a full-size police officer everywhere.

Welcome!!

Kwik Stix

Haha, maybe you had to be there to hear her attitude... it was more aggressive than inquisitive. But still, not much hassle so no harm/no foul. Thanks for the warm and fuzzies ;)