• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Truth in advertising?

Old Virginia Joe

I'd like to suggest we take some control over the use of the term "gun free zone." We all know there is no such thing---only a desire by some foolish utopian folks that there be such a thing, a fantasy and nothing more. Therefore, I suggest we OCDO fans begin to speak in terms of "so-called gun free zones." Put that "so-called" in there, with the quotes! At best, that is what they are. This is kind of the way the media tries to color our thinking about certain topics they disrespect when they write about them in print, by adding perjorative PREfixes to everything they hate. They say things like "right-wing extremist talk-show host so-and-so," and "fundamentalist evangelical religious leader so-and-so," to paint a picture that is undesireable. Let us turn that technique around, and paint the TRUE picture of GFZ as the joke that it is. Ain't no such thing!! If you write a letter-to-the-editor on the 2A topic, or give a speech, or post on OCDO, won't you try to work this idea into your wording?

eye95

"So-called" should be a big part of our vocabulary. Was Sandy Hook truly a GFSZ?

We should apply the term to the names of most bills, such as ones that contain the words, "and Second Amendment Protection Act."

[Dr. Phil voice]So. You declared Sandy Hook to be gun-free. How's that workin' out for ya?[/Dr. Phil voice]

palerider116

I think GFSZ or its derivatives should be renamed to "open range." It is an open range for the predator to feed his murderous desires while the sheep mosey about in ignorant bliss that is shattered by irrevocable horror.

Signs and clever monikers will save us all.