• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marking bullet cases?

mpguy

Before I go into detail about the conversation, has anyone heard rumor/legislation of marking bullet cases to track who does what with ammo since the recent bombing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

davidmcbeth

Banned
microstamping and other such nonsense has been discussed in the US before ... lobbied by the guy who owned the patent rights of course...can't blame a guy for trying !

mpguy

I was just curious. The gentlemen in Lowes were discussing it, while helping me look for a turkey cooker. He seemed real paranoid about it, since the Boston stuff going on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It used to be told around campfires, back when the brontosaurii roared just outside the flickering light from the campfire, that certain individuals would scratch a name on the cartridge case, thus indicating that the bullet was reserved for that named person. It was usually the name of an enemy.

Then soldiers took to engraving their name on a cartridge and wearing it on a string around their neck in the belief that since they held captive the one "with their name on it" they would not be shot - or at least not killed. That worked well for a short while, until it was discovered that it was not "the bullet with your name on it" so much as the one engraved "to whom it may concern" that was likely to kill you.

So, we see that down through history the notion of marking bullet cases has been pretty much an abject failure.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There used to be some conversation in the past, I think from that nutcase in New York, Bloomberg?

Bloomie is a professional grade nutcase. He manages to put his waste eliminating orifice where his mouth is - demonstrating that mother nature does make mistakes.

Virginia passed a bill telling Bloomie to defecate in his own backyard. Unfortunately even his belches are toxic to normal people
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=263676

9f3910ba-3c00-4c78-ad27-0b16c6880282

Fallschirjmäger

It used to be told around campfires, back when the brontosaurii roared just outside the flickering light from the campfire, that certain individuals would scratch a name on the cartridge case, thus indicating that the bullet was reserved for that named person. It was usually the name of an enemy.

Then soldiers took to engraving their name on a cartridge and wearing it on a string around their neck in the belief that since they held captive the one "with their name on it" they would not be shot - or at least not killed. That worked well for a short while, until it was discovered that it was not "the bullet with your name on it" so much as the one engraved "to whom it may concern" that was likely to kill you.

So, we see that down through history the notion of marking bullet cases has been pretty much an abject failure.

stay safe.

I think I recall one instance where markings actually came in handy. At the time that Fairbairn and Sykes were in the Hong Kong Police, the cartridges were headstamped with "HKP" or something similar to help identify which shots were fired by the police. The bases of the bullets as I recall, were marked in a similar fashion for much the same purpose. (I could be mistaken about the time frame, but I'm fairly sure it was the HKP as the subject of that little anecdote.)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think I recall one instance where markings actually came in handy. At the time that Fairbairn and Sykes were in the Hong Kong Police, the cartridges were headstamped with "HKP" or something similar to help identify which shots were fired by the police. The bases of the bullets as I recall, were marked in a similar fashion for much the same purpose. (I could be mistaken about the time frame, but I'm fairly sure it was the HKP as the subject of that little anecdote.)

SMP/HKP revolvers and semi-auto pistols were marked but I cannot find anything in any of Fairbain's or Sykes' writing about cartridge cases being marked. That's not to say there was not a SMP/HKP headstamp. Any bullet that was "stamped" on the bottom would most likely have that marking melted off before it got all the way through the forcing cone (remember, they were using fairly soft RNL bullets not just because they were not expensive).

True geekiness: Sykes taught what we now refer to as "gangsta grip" as a means of using the semi-automatic pistol's recoil to improve rapid shooting of large groups of BGs. Work from right to left. (He never addressed it as such [since he favored point shooting for most of what the SMP/HKP were involved in] but the tehnique allowed keeping eyes on what the target was doing. He was all in favor of letting BGs surrender.)

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Bloomie is a professional grade nutcase. He manages to put his waste eliminating orifice where his mouth is - demonstrating that mother nature does make mistakes.

Virginia passed a bill telling Bloomie to defecate in his own backyard. Unfortunately even his belches are toxic to normal people
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=263676

9f3910ba-3c00-4c78-ad27-0b16c6880282

But what you you really feel about Bloomy ... don't hold back :)

Cava3r4

I can see it now, a 32 digit serial number on each case and each bullet.
then we can hire a bureaucracy to write down each and every bullet as to WHO sold it and WHO bought it!
yeah good plan!!