• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Boston....was there exigent circumstance?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
So let me get this right. A guy who got into a police shootout already wanted for blowing up 150+ people and then runs his own brother over to get away. A guy who tossed pipe bombs another pressure cooker bomb during the chase is somehow not probable cause?

Probable cause for what? You act like the presence, somewhere, of a single criminal overrides the bill of rights in an entire city.

What uncritical, useless apologia.

I do think they crossed a line but I wasn't there. I didn't have anyone knock on my door. I didn't have any guns pointed at me. So I have no first hand experience and what I think I know is mute. We have people in the media itching to prove there was some violation and others who say there wasn't.

"I've got mine so FU!"

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Probable cause for what? You act like the presence, somewhere, of a single Well armed criminal with bombs who attacked 150 people and killed a police officer and almost killed another and who deployed explosives against government authorities overrides the bill of rights in an entire city.

What uncritical, useless apologia.

"I've got mine so FU!"

there, fixed it for you.

Nearly all cities have legal authority to close businesses and streets, most states can enact emergency powers for a state of emergency. The feds did declare a state of emergency, that gives constitutional authority to suspend habeus corpus if required.

in 1906 during the emergency after the San Francisco earthquake General Funston and Mayor Schmitz declared anyone caught looting would be shot on sight, this is hardly an unprecedented action that defines a new extreme of government overreach.

crazydude6030

Probable cause for what? You act like the presence, somewhere, of a single criminal overrides the bill of rights in an entire city.

What uncritical, useless apologia

That is not at all what I think not what I said. Stop trying to put words in mouth.

I disagree with their actions as a whole, but that's me and I wasn't there. Let someone affected sue in courts and see where it goes.

I was pointing out what I have read regarding this... This event.

Had this happened to me I would have told them to pound sand. That's me and like i said I wasn't there.

All I can do is read what those who were their said. And from what I can tell those people largely agreed with and are okay with what went down

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
there, fixed it for you.

Irrelevance alert. Changes nothing. The magnitude or heinousness of a crime committed by another doesn't change my rights. Try agin, sycophant.

in 1906 during the emergency after the San Francisco earthquake General Funston and Mayor Schmitz declared anyone caught looting would be shot on sight, this is hardly an unprecedented action that defines a new extreme of government overreach.

WTF does an earthquake have to do with a criminal action? Complete irrelevance alert.

It's OK though, I don't expect better than appeal to tradition/two wrongs make a right from you.

Incidentally, the police (and other government services) after the 1906 earthquake were famously unable to do much of anything. Private citizens essentially took over their job for quite a while after the quake. So you can quote what some statist clown said until hell freezes over. It changes nothing.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
That is not at all what I think not what I said. Stop trying to put words in mouth.

Nice try,
image.php

I didn't "put words" in your mouth. You're the one who brought up probable cause. If you're now saying that it was irrelevant of you to do so, I agree.

EMNofSeattle

Irrelevance alert. Changes nothing. The magnitude or heinousness of a crime committed by another doesn't change my rights. Try agin, sycophant.

well obviously it does otherwise you wouldn't be so irrational

WTF does an earthquake have to do with a criminal action? Complete irrelevance alert.

State of emergency

It's OK though, I don't expect better than appeal to tradition/two wrongs make a right from you.

What makes it wrong to take additional steps during a time of public danger? define wrong? what makes your definition of "wrong" correct. I think you're wrong. bite me

Incidentally, the police (and other government services) after the 1906 earthquake were famously unable to do much of anything. Private citizens essentially took over their job for quite a while after the quake. So you can quote what some statist clown said until hell freezes over. It changes nothing.

the history does not bear that out, It's obvious you do not understand any history that doesn't match your agenda...

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
well obviously it does otherwise you wouldn't be so irrational
Rebuttal fail: ad hominem and nothing more. Try again.

What makes it wrong to take additional steps during a time of public danger? define wrong? what makes your definition of "wrong" correct. I think you're wrong. bite me
Let's see if you're capable of following a syllogism: Violating the Constitution is wrong. Shooting looters on sight is in violation of the Constitution. Therefore, it is wrong to shoot looters on sight. QED. Try again.

the history does not bear that out, It's obvious you do not understand any history that doesn't match your agenda...

Actually, it does very well. I wouldn't expect you to be familiar with that, however.

Incidentally, there were soldiers brought in to protect the Mint and a few other public buildings. These soldiers got in on the looting too! How many of them do you imagine were "shot on sight"? By whom, exactly?

lolololol. History fail. Try again.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Rebuttal fail: ad hominem and nothing more. Try again.

Let's see if you're capable of following a syllogism: Violating the Constitution is wrong. Shooting looters on sight is in violation of the Constitution. Therefore, it is wrong to shoot looters on sight. QED. Try again.

it's great you can make a syllogism, but your premises must still be correct. courts have long ruled that states and the federal government can overcome a constitutional protection if there is a compelling state interest in doing so. this is the basis for cases too numerous to number.

allowing people to be harmed is wrong, citizens may be harmed by entering the city in a state of emergency, therefore allwoing citizens to enter a city in a state of emergency is wrong.

Incidentally, there were soldiers brought in to protect the Mint and a few other public buildings. These soldiers got in on the looting too! How many of them do you imagine were "shot on sight"? By whom, exactly?

lolololol. History fail. Try again.

The letters of Captain Edward Ord are a good source of information. he reported exactly which units were involved in looting, and also mentioned that the majority of units he witnessed were not.

furthermore, in addition to guarding the mint and post office, they also assisted the Fire Department in isolating the fire, and in constructing shelters and homes for displaced individuals.

sudden valley gunner

it's great you can make a syllogism, but your premises must still be correct. courts have long ruled that states and the federal government can overcome a constitutional protection if there is a compelling state interest in doing so. this is the basis for cases too numerous to number.

allowing people to be harmed is wrong, citizens may be harmed by entering the city in a state of emergency, therefore allwoing citizens to enter a city in a state of emergency is wrong.

The letters of Captain Edward Ord are a good source of information. he reported exactly which units were involved in looting, and also mentioned that the majority of units he witnessed were not.

furthermore, in addition to guarding the mint and post office, they also assisted the Fire Department in isolating the fire, and in constructing shelters and homes for displaced individuals.

Please cite the constitutional authority for them to do so.

Fallschirjmäger

We don't know if he had forced his way into a house
We don't know if he had taken a hostage
We don't know if he had more bombs

We don't know if that black man driving the BMW didn't steal it, we've got to stop him to find out. Just in case, and from an 'overabundance of caution', of course.

So let me get this right. A guy who got into a police shootout already wanted for blowing up 150+ people and then runs his own brother over to get away. A guy who tossed pipe bombs another pressure cooker bomb during the chase is somehow not probable cause?
Come on man, we are not talking apples to apple's here. A guy driving a BMW isn't going to get stopped without cause say speeding or unless he too ran his brother over. Oh and please lets not to to inject race into an already screwed up issue
They did have a reason for concern and you would have to have your head in the sand or some other dark place to think otherwise.
I do think they crossed a line but I wasn't there. I didn't have anyone knock on my door. I didn't have any guns pointed at me. So I have no first hand experience and what I think I know is mute. We have people in the media itching to prove there was some violation and others who say there wasn't.
Let someone who was there and had their house searched at the point of a gun sue and let the courts rule.
1) "Probable cause" is not the phrase you are looking for. "Probable cause" is for arrests and I'm fairly certain the residents of Watertown weren't being arrested. Seized is another matter and I don't believe there was probable cause for a seizure either.
The phrase you seem to be searching for is "Reasonable Suspicion" and that means "A reasonable suspicion, supported by facts that _____ did ____.

2) We are not mixing metaphors. Stopping a man driving a BMW to "make sure he didn't steal it" is no different that pulling people out of their homes at gunpoint to "make sure they weren't being coerced or giving shelter to a fleeing criminal".

3) You ADMIT they crossed the line, ... well there's little more to say than that, I guess.

4) I didn't say they didn't have reason for concern, (what was it you said about 'putting words in [my] mouth"?

5) "you would have to have your head in the sand or some other dark place to think otherwise." Ad hominem attacks are for grade-school playgrounds, let's behave like adult men women and avoid them, shall we?

eye95

"Exigent circumstances" require probable cause, not reasonable suspicion. Exigent circumstances mean that the same circumstances that would support a warrant exist, but there is no time to get a warrant.

Since a warrant could not be issued for an entire town, exigent circumstances could not exist for it either. Exigent circumstances would be, for example, "We have probable cause to believe that that man murdered a cop and is now in THAT house. He will escape or, worse, harm the residents of THAT house if we do nothing or wait till we get a warrant. We must go in!"

"THAT house," not "the whole damned town."

Again, probable cause is required for exigent circumstances. That is a weightier requirement than mere reasonable suspicion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

eye95

You're welcome.

However, it was not so much a correction as making sure that it was crystal clear that what they did in Boston was so undisputably an unconstitutional and tyrannical tactic. I am mortified that Boston, the birthplace of the Revolution that introduced the republican ideal, would roll over to tyranny so easily.

<O>

Last edited:

crazydude6030

You're welcome.

However, it was not so much a correction as making sure that it was crystal clear that what they did in Boston was so undisputably an unconstitutional and tyrannical tactic. I am mortified that Boston, the birthplace of the Revolution that introduced the republican ideal, would roll over to tyranny so easily.

<O>

I been thinking more about this and have been asking why so many there are just willin to accept it. I think it might be based on low firearm ownership and there fore they had little choice but to rely on the police to "save" them.

I base this on pure speculation and only thought about it when I read that some people in that area went to buy guns the next day.

I still want to see a law suit from one of them. I suspect based on current trends the courts will back the actions of the police.

eye95

If there is a lawsuit, I WILL contribute. I want the nation to know that there are a bunch of us who still love and will fight for the Republic.

<o>

sudden valley gunner

I think he just meant that they've done it... So they must have the authority.

That is the reality of it.

Dumbfounds me that people think it's ok because SCOTUS says it's ok, without thinking about the documents that gives all of them any authority, which is a huge contributing factor to the acceptance of the ever increasing tyranny.