Thread: I thought thermal imaging was prohibited by a federal judge years ago ...

Banned

I thought thermal imaging was prohibited by a federal judge years ago ...

Centurion

And it wasn't someone's home. It was after the occupant of the home reported to the police some info about a possible unauthorized intruder in their boat in the yard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JoeSparky; 04-21-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Thermal imaging has good uses, and it wasn't "outlawed". Very likely, it is like many other tools, and you are not permitted to use it absent reasonable suspicion of a crime, possible without warrant or exigency circumstance. It's like searching someone... only in the right time and situation is it permissible.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Thanks for the excellent link to the thermal images.

---------------------

I didn't see the cite for that federal judge prohibition...

but, when the homeowner sees his boat's white shrinkwrap cover torn open and the bloody body of a trespasser in the homeowners boat, that trespasser no longer has a right to privacy.

The media headlines give the impresion that this "suspect" was FOUND by thermal imaging, but at best, his exact position, and his movement, and body heat (recently alive) were VERIFIED by the thermal imaging.
    Last edited by E6chevron; 04-21-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Wis. CCL #5x Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact .40 S&W, Utah CFP

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Cops used thermal imaging to see if owner/occupant was running a marijuana grow operation. Court (much too lazy to look up the cite, you all need the practice, I just aint gonna do it) ruled that thermal imaging was a search under 4A and needed a warrant which the cops did not have.

Guess what the cops do now when your local utility company informs them your power/water useage just went up a whole bunch?

It's not rocket surgery if you pay attention.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Founder's Club Member
    My recollection is that police cannot fly or drive around with FLIR searching homes, attics, etc. warrantlessly. Or, rather, evidence gathered that way is inadmissable.
    Last edited by Citizen; 04-21-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Court (much too lazy to look up the cite, you all need the practice, I just aint gonna do it.
    hardly lazy .. just don't remember which court ruled this way ...

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    My recollection is that police cannot fly or drive around with FLIR searching homes, attics, etc. warrantlessly. Or, rather, evidence gathered that way is inadmissable.
    I remember many years ago wire tapping was illegal, but I got tips from the feds all the time on crimes that were about to be committed from information gained through wire taps. All I had to do was be in the right place at the right time to make a lawful arrest while the crime was in progress. I am sorry to say I did not see the damage that those antics have brought us today.

Because they can't does not mean they don't.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-21-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I remember many years ago wire tapping was illegal, but I got tips from the feds all the time on crimes that were about to be committed from information gained through illegal wire taps. All I had to do was be in the right place at the right time to make a unlawful arrest while the crime was in progress. I am sorry to say I did not see the damage that those antics have brought us today.

Because they can't does not mean they don't.
    While your statement is true for good cause, the fact that they happened and nothing "negative" came of it does not make it right or legal. And consider your entire post for a second. Your arrest is unlawful. The fact that you would not have been "at the right place" sans illegal wire tap would make it so. As the entire situation started with an illegal act, the arrest is illegal as well. Regardless of what crime was taking place.

I have amended your post to reflect what I believe to be a truer statement.
    Last edited by Tucker6900; 04-22-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Cops used thermal imaging to see if owner/occupant was running a marijuana grow operation. Court (much too lazy to look up the cite, you all need the practice, I just aint gonna do it) ruled that thermal imaging was a search under 4A and needed a warrant which the cops did not have.

Guess what the cops do now when your local utility company informs them your power/water useage just went up a whole bunch?

It's not rocket surgery if you pay attention.

stay safe.
    Your bill is higher so you must be growing pot........such a gross injustice and a travesty to the limits government are supposed to have. Like the one where people are supposed to feel secure in their person and effects.

Sigh.....and some say we don't have a tyrannical government.....

This did make me want to find out what ever happened to the guy in Texas who entrapped the cops by growing legal plants in a house and video'd the raid.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Your bill is higher so you must be growing pot........such a gross injustice and a travesty to the limits government are supposed to have. Like the one where people are supposed to feel secure in their person and effects.

Sigh.....and some say we don't have a tyrannical government.....

This did make me want to find out what ever happened to the guy in Texas who entrapped the cops by growing legal plants in a house and video'd the raid.
    It's worse than that. Just a short time ago a home was raided, with warrant in hand, because the couple bought hydroponics equipment. What the cops found was an indoor garden in their basement and apparently the whol place was thrashed pretty well in the search for contraband. Oh yeah, the couple were retired CIA agents with high end security clearances...maybe the beast was repaying them for any ills they had perpetrated upon others?

As for other posters, and the use of thermal imaging.

The use of the FLIR in this instance did not violate Supreme Court stare decisis. In Kyollo the court held that officers could not use technology not generally available to the public for purposes of determining what was going on within the HOME and the curtilage of the home without a warrant (of consent which always negates the need for a warrant). I think it would be insane to argue that the property owner in this instance did not give consent since he noticed the blood and called the police.

Further, the helicopter being outfitted with the FLIR is not a violation in and of itself so long as the technology installed on the aircraft is not used to violate the sanctity of the home or its curtilage without a warrant or consent. FLIR is a great technology that gives a very clear image based on thermal differences. Its legitimate uses are many and the possibility of its misuse is insufficient to keep it from being installed.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    <snip>I think it would be insane to argue that the property owner in this instance did not give consent since he noticed the blood and called the police. <snip>
    How did the home owner come to believe that it could have been the bombing perp? Why would the cops conclude that it could be the bombing perp? Or, was every 911 call to be treated as a possible bombing perp "sighting" on that day?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    How did the home owner come to believe that it could have been the bombing perp? Why would the cops conclude that it could be the bombing perp? Or, was every 911 call to be treated as a possible bombing perp "sighting" on that day?
    Or, better yet, why such a response where another and similar report a week earlier would likely not elicit a similar LE response.

The cops had "exigent circumstances" in their mind, likely ordered to act as if they did, and it will take a uppity citizen(s) to convince a judge that the cops did not in fact have exigent circumstances on 'X' private property.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare