Thread: Thoughts on Ruger LCP

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

I'm getting a Ruger LCP .380 next week when my background check clears I haven't had any experience with it other than holding it a bit in the store whats everyone elses take on the LCP? as far as is it a good gun how does it handle and would the LCP make a good EDC gun?

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

It's a good little gun. I had one and it took me several rounds to get use to it, so when you get it put a box or two down the pipe. I had no problems with it at all, but what else do you expect from Ruger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

It is functional as a carry gun, but don't plan to spend significant range time behind it. It kicks like a tiny mule, but seems to be quite reliable.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    It's a fine little pocket BUG (Back Up Gun) and I carry mine when I can't carry my primary or one of my secondary carry guns. I wouldn't make it my EDC gun, but then if that is what you have then go with it. I like mine very much and am happy I bought it.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    It is functional as a carry gun, but don't plan to spend significant range time behind it. It kicks like a tiny mule, but seems to be quite reliable.

It's a fine little pocket BUG (Back Up Gun) and I carry mine when I can't carry my primary or one of my secondary carry guns. I wouldn't make it my EDC gun, but then if that is what you have then go with it. I like mine very much and am happy I bought it. .

^take these 2 previous comments, put them together and that's your answer.

Is that the gun that was used by the senior citizen in the cafe robbery to shoot the bad guys?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

Get the extended floor plate for the magazine. It allows you to carry an extra round as well as a place for another finger on the grip.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster

New additions to the family -
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Slide won't lock back. Polymer -trigger- which pinches, slide a bit hard to rack for females, super long trigger pull, substantial kick.

Not a range gun. Not bad for a bathrobe gun while you fight your way to your actual carry or your rifle inside your house.

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

I'm sending mine to Bills Custom Automatic in Shelby MS. Getting trigger work done. They said it would remove 30% of the trigger travel but still stay safe.

My finger just doesn't naturally move far enough to comfortably fire the pistol as is. Other customers had the same comment as mine. Gun smith commented that the Trigger work has corrected the travel issue and he has many happy customers. Just a thought for those happy with Ruger's .380 pocket pistol but hate trigger travel.

XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

The trigger travel on the one I fired is so long that at the end you figure something is wrong, and you have to literally mash it to get it to fire, throwing off accuracy. But after 5 years of carry and no incident, if you can still be motivated to carry, then it's OK.

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

Nothing wrong with the trigger. Some if us must have large hands. What ever it is I have difficulty holding the gun then having my trigger pull back the long trigger travel and have it comfortable. Trigger is fine and a long trigger is a good safety to have on a pocket gun. A shorter distance for the trigger to travel before it fires should help me.

XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11,
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

The ones I have shot worked just fine.

If I wanted a really small 380 it is the one I would buy.

Personally I like a bit bigger guns.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

I am doing the same.

I am getting a LCP for a pocket BUG... Has any one had problems with hornady critical duty/defense through it??

upgrading from a Cobra CA380... the gun that FTE, and double feeds every other round. -.-
    Last edited by Jamesm760; 04-26-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Just picked mine up from the store today im hoping to get to the range tomorrow to see how it does wasn't used to the white cardboard box it came in though im so used to seeing black glock boxes haha

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    I am getting a LCP for a pocket BUG... Has any one had problems with hornady critical duty/defense through it??

upgrading from a Cobra CA380... the gun that FTE, and double feeds every other round. -.-
    Ruger's in general take and fire all the different ammo. I've had the LCP, and now have a SR40 and SR1911 and all fed the Hornandy ammo, it's high quality ammo

"Shoot low boys, their ridin' shetland ponies"

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

How long or hard the trigger is will become irrelevant when it is needed. Adrenalin is a powerful hormone, and your accuracy will suffer no matter what kind of trigger you have. Carry it for its intended purpose, and shoot it enough to be accustomed to its behavior, and you will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    Ruger's in general take and fire all the different ammo. I've had the LCP, and now have a SR40 and SR1911 and all fed the Hornandy ammo, it's high quality ammo

Thank you sir.

Banned
    don't forget to accessorize .. like this guy did with his rifle...

http://buffetoblog.files.wordpress.c...gun-weapon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    don't forget to accessorize .. like this guy did with his rifle...

http://buffetoblog.files.wordpress.c...gun-weapon.jpg
    Holly. ****.

make sure you have a fork in there so you can eat after you take care of some BGs... Also that vehicle headlight is not enough I would carry 2, to make sure I can see in the dark!

I tried both the LCP and TCP and ended up buying the TCP. It felt better to me and the trigger pull was lots better plus the slide stays back after the last shot fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post

As I understand it Cobra is formally a Lorcin, or something like that, a ring of fire gun. They are all made similar to Hi Points in design, or Hi Point is similar to them. Hi Points had some problems which they ironed out I hear, and are pretty reliable. Like Hi Point Cobra has a lifetime warranty of the gun, so send it back, they will fix it for free. I have checked revues on these guns out of curiosity, and surprisingly most of them are good. A lot of times it is ammo with a semi that is a problem.

One thing I have noticed for sure, if a Ruger fails or kabooms, or any other major brand it is blamed on the ammo. If it happens with a Saturday night special the gun is a POS. If you still have it send it back, get it repaired, if you don't want it I'll take it. I understand Hi Point was sent a C9 that the owners pet chewed up the grip and grip frame making it non functional. Clearly not fault of Hi Point, they repaired it for free, and gave the owner two new magazines as well. After hearing about it I will probably pick a Hi Point up for a range gun for the wife.

Last time I was on a public range, I saw about 10% problems with semi auto owners, and these were not the SNS, they were Glocks, Rugers, and S&W. Made me really appreciate my 1911 which performs 100% of the time. There have been kabooms with the LCP, and I have heard of FTE, and FTF, but I am sure it is the ammo.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Re: Thoughts on Ruger LCP

+ 1 Trillion! Ammo will be his biggest issue. Some (lots) of semi's are ammo picky on what you can feed them. With JHP defense ammo the problem is amplified. I have many pistols and all function flawlessly with the "right" ammo. Speaking of Hi-Points here's an example of defense ammo and feeding issues in my HP 45 shot at 7 yards. Loves WWB hollow points but jammed on the Federal Hydra-shoks. You have to spend some money most likely until you find the "sweetspot ammo" your LCP likes. Ask others what they have had good experiences with, it will save you time and money.
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370486106918.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	10496
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    + 1 Trillion! Ammo will be his biggest issue. Some (lots) of semi's are ammo picky on what you can feed them. With JHP defense ammo the problem is amplified. I have many pistols and all function flawlessly with the "right" ammo. Speaking of Hi-Points here's an example of defense ammo and feeding issues in my HP 45 shot at 7 yards. Loves WWB hollow points but jammed on the Federal Hydra-shoks. You have to spend some money most likely until you find the "sweetspot ammo" your LCP likes. Ask others what they have had good experiences with, it will save you time and money.
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1370486106918.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	10496
    I look for the price of Hi Points to go up, if they have not. There have been torture tests to break them and they just will not break, and then the factory will replace or repair them. No questions asked. BTW I did some more digging and it seems HP bought out a company named Sundance which was the original design, except with a zinc frame. All of them have the same design, HP, Jimenez, Cobra, and they all have lifetime no question asked warranties. Like other brands they can be improved with a little ramp polish, which should be done by the factory, especially on expensive guns, but for some reason is not. One thing semi auto users must keep in mind is that light loaded ammo is prone to FTE, and FTF, the slide is not coming back with enough force. I have heard a lot of HP owners move away from white box ammo for this reason. I believe it is the problem with most semi autos that have problems outside of a poorly polished feed ramp.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Re: Thoughts on Ruger LCP

@WalkingWolf

You are correct across the board. The price of The Hi-Points has gone up a little as people discover their pro's far outweigh their con's. Oh the HP that shot those sticky notes had never jammed until it did twice on the Federal hollow points. I think it had to do with decreased bullet weight (185 vs 230 gr.). I have personally spoken with the owner of Hi-Point Mr. Thomas Deeb when I called & asked to speak with a manager. What other gun manufacture can you call and get the owner on the phone? He is a super nice guy and I was just calling to compliment his service tech's who rebuilt my 20 year old JS9 (9mm alloy frame) to new condition & replaced all my mags (5) which I had sent in to aid in diagnostics and added another mag to cover the $9 it cost to mail it to them. Since then I have bought (3) 45 pistols & the 45 carbine. All shoot excellent. Plus they make great camp/boat/truck/car etc..etc.. guns. They have a life long customer here. Even though they crank out thousands of guns each year they are ran like the mom & pop country store where service still matters. They even have free shipping on parts / accessories / scopes /lasers/ mags / etc from their online store and usually cheaper than anywhere online.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-06-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi