• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts on Ruger LCP

brad98801

I'm getting a Ruger LCP .380 next week when my background check clears I haven't had any experience with it other than holding it a bit in the store whats everyone elses take on the LCP? as far as is it a good gun how does it handle and would the LCP make a good EDC gun?

McLintock

It's a good little gun. I had one and it took me several rounds to get use to it, so when you get it put a box or two down the pipe. I had no problems with it at all, but what else do you expect from Ruger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonameisgood

It is functional as a carry gun, but don't plan to spend significant range time behind it. It kicks like a tiny mule, but seems to be quite reliable.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
It's a fine little pocket BUG (Back Up Gun) and I carry mine when I can't carry my primary or one of my secondary carry guns. I wouldn't make it my EDC gun, but then if that is what you have then go with it. I like mine very much and am happy I bought it.

Jamesm760

It is functional as a carry gun, but don't plan to spend significant range time behind it. It kicks like a tiny mule, but seems to be quite reliable.

It's a fine little pocket BUG (Back Up Gun) and I carry mine when I can't carry my primary or one of my secondary carry guns. I wouldn't make it my EDC gun, but then if that is what you have then go with it. I like mine very much and am happy I bought it. .

^take these 2 previous comments, put them together and that's your answer.

Chap

Get the extended floor plate for the magazine. It allows you to carry an extra round as well as a place for another finger on the grip.

Maverick9

Slide won't lock back. Polymer -trigger- which pinches, slide a bit hard to rack for females, super long trigger pull, substantial kick.

Not a range gun. Not bad for a bathrobe gun while you fight your way to your actual carry or your rifle inside your house.

Chap

I'm sending mine to Bills Custom Automatic in Shelby MS. Getting trigger work done. They said it would remove 30% of the trigger travel but still stay safe.

My finger just doesn't naturally move far enough to comfortably fire the pistol as is. Other customers had the same comment as mine. Gun smith commented that the Trigger work has corrected the travel issue and he has many happy customers. Just a thought for those happy with Ruger's .380 pocket pistol but hate trigger travel.

Maverick9

The trigger travel on the one I fired is so long that at the end you figure something is wrong, and you have to literally mash it to get it to fire, throwing off accuracy. But after 5 years of carry and no incident, if you can still be motivated to carry, then it's OK.

Chap

Nothing wrong with the trigger. Some if us must have large hands. What ever it is I have difficulty holding the gun then having my trigger pull back the long trigger travel and have it comfortable. Trigger is fine and a long trigger is a good safety to have on a pocket gun. A shorter distance for the trigger to travel before it fires should help me.

Jamesm760

I am doing the same.

I am getting a LCP for a pocket BUG... Has any one had problems with hornady critical duty/defense through it??

upgrading from a Cobra CA380... the gun that FTE, and double feeds every other round. -.-

Last edited:

brad98801

Just picked mine up from the store today im hoping to get to the range tomorrow to see how it does wasn't used to the white cardboard box it came in though im so used to seeing black glock boxes haha

McLintock

I am getting a LCP for a pocket BUG... Has any one had problems with hornady critical duty/defense through it??

upgrading from a Cobra CA380... the gun that FTE, and double feeds every other round. -.-

Ruger's in general take and fire all the different ammo. I've had the LCP, and now have a SR40 and SR1911 and all fed the Hornandy ammo, it's high quality ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonameisgood

How long or hard the trigger is will become irrelevant when it is needed. Adrenalin is a powerful hormone, and your accuracy will suffer no matter what kind of trigger you have. Carry it for its intended purpose, and shoot it enough to be accustomed to its behavior, and you will be fine.

James

I tried both the LCP and TCP and ended up buying the TCP. It felt better to me and the trigger pull was lots better plus the slide stays back after the last shot fired.