Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra CA380 VS Hi-Point 380

Cobra CA380 VS Hi-Point 380

Life death situation, those 2 are infront of you. which one would you pick up? Would you attempt to fire it, or immediately throw it at the BG?

I just had a conversation with a guy who has both Hi-Point pistols and rifles. He said he's put zillions of rounds through them, and though they are ugly and heavy, they do what they're supposed to: shoot bullets.

The only person I know of that's owned a Cobra (it was the 9mm Patriot) said it was a piece of junk.

So based on these two things I would take the Hi-Point.

Cobra CA380 VS Hi-Point 380

Hi-point- I have heard that they function well despite their less than pleasant looks.

I have never heard anything nice said about a Cobra.

Next question, where the heck am I that these are my only two options?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Re: Cobra CA380 VS Hi-Point 380

Never owned a cobra, but I own 4 hi-points (2 45acp pistol's [mod JHP] & the 45 carbine TS4595) and one old full size 9mm JS9. All shoot straight & go bang when the trigger is squeezed. I like them. I also own some high end guns too. For what they are, & from my experience, I'd pick Hi-Point.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Here's a review from shootingtimes mag on their 40 & 45 cal. Pistols which seem to get better feedback than the 9's & 380's.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...ipoint_100605/
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-23-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Well it's settled then! In this what if scenario, hi-point it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Well it's settled then! In this what if scenario, hi-point it is then.
    Yea from all the reviews I read and videos I looked at.

Cobra CA380: Jams every other round.

Hi-Point 380: Jams every other 3 rounds.

I would take the highpoint
    Last edited by Jamesm760; 04-28-2013 at 05:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm760 View Post
    Yea from all the reviews I read and videos I looked at.

Cobra CA380: Jams every other round.

Hi-Point 380: Jams every other 3 rounds.

I would take the highpoint
    Well you must not have seen this video . Both pistols are the HP 380 & 9mm cals.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Abvvu...%3DAbvvurXmAmg

A long series of flat out abuse & the hi-points kept running - bolcked barrels, double charges, ran over by truck. Worth watching the whole group of video's of these guys try to destroy the hi-point, which they could not.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-28-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Well you must not have seen this video . Both pistols are the HP 380 & 9mm cals.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Abvvu...%3DAbvvurXmAmg

A long series of flat out abuse & the hi-points kept running - bolcked barrels, double charges, ran over by truck. Worth watching the whole group of video's of these guys try to destroy the hi-point, which they could not.
    Two things I can tell you about the 9mm (380 use same platform/mags). They do not like to be limp wristed, so if you have sissy wrist avoid.
    Some who have had feed issues say - a simple tweak of the mag feed lips fixes it. Had my 9 for 20yrs now - zero issues until I cracked the alloy frame (don't ask - my fault, not guns) sent it back to HP they rebuilt it with all new parts & repalced all old mags with new ones. Even sent me an extra new mag to cover shipping. Runs like a top. Are there better guns out there? For sure - yes. Better warranty, customer service - doubt it.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-28-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Never owned a cobra, but I own 4 hi-points (2 45acp pistol's [mod JHP] & the 45 carbine TS4595) and one old full size 9mm JS9. All shoot straight & go bang when the trigger is squeezed. I like them. I also own some high end guns too. For what they are, & from my experience, I'd pick Hi-Point.
    Based in part on having shot one of yours, I'd pick a hi point too.

45 Hi Points are in fact, for my purposes, the second nicest shooting handguns I've ever fired, the only nicer ones being highly tweaked M&P 9's.
    Last edited by Michigander; 04-28-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Blind unity is liberty inverted.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460ldKaXUeo

I'm trying to decide between a Hi Point 45 and a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911.

Carthago Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a Hi Point 45 and a Kimber Super Carry Custom 1911.

Carthago Delenda Est

Get the high- point... if you don't like it at least you only spent less than $200

Quote Originally Posted by kurt555gs View Post

Carthago Delenda Est
    Get the high- point... if you don't like it at least you only spent less than $200
    Great point! I own a FNH FNX (standard) 45acp (15+1) it's a fine pistol! And yes it is slightly more accurate for me at the range - better trigger & ergo. However the hi-point 45 accepts a 14rd pro-mag mag giving it a (14+1) capacity. So basically you have similarly capable pistols both USA made. One for sub $200 + $30 for a hi-cap mag. vs. a $800 pistol. Both great shooters. Which one would I take into the ruff & tumble, on a boating trip, etc... where damage or loss could occur? You can guess...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 04-29-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    Based in part on having shot one of yours, I'd pick a hi point too.

45 Hi Points are in fact, for my purposes, the second nicest shooting handguns I've ever fired, the only nicer ones being highly tweaked M&P 9's.
    Damn man! That was a fun day. Doing real world tactical shooting. Thanks for letting me shoot your Sig 45acp. Another fine gun. I am still not as good as you are at the retreat while maintaining site picture / firing over shoulder drill (yes people he hits the target - usually near the 10 ring from 7 to 10 yards + ) mad skills Sir!

You gotta get out here so we can do some desert combat drills. .
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-01-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: typo

Cool To all the Hi-Point doubters out there...

From a recent range trip with a Hi-Point 45

Story - I shot first six shots to make smiley @ 21ft (7yrds), then tried for the eye's of actual smiley target & missed once (cute girl watching...I choked).

Then moved target back to 50ft and inserted a hi-cap (14rd instead of 9) and went rapid fire. Then I brought the target back to 21ft to try out defense rounds shooting at 3x3" sticky notes. The hydra-shock shot more accurate, but I had two jams. The WWB JHP ran flawlessly without much loss of accuracy. Say what you will - my Hi-Points all run straight & true.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smiley21ftHP45-Copy_zps5a2c1ded.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	10365

Name:	141HP45-Copy_zps98937b72.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	10366

Name:	HP45_50ftRapid-Copy_zpsa9e0af72.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	10367

Name:	HP45sticky21Ft-Copy_zps1943e35c.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	10368
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-07-2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: images

Definitely the Hi Point. Had a .45 for a couple years, worked flawlessly once it was broken in, feed ramp sanded, etc. Never saw a Cobra that worked right no matter what you did to it.

Hi Point for sure. My second gun was a CF380, and I've owned the .45 model since then as well. Never a problem aside from balance issues. As for the Cobra, well, I'd choose my pellet gun over that.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Well to the OP's other point. Yes, once my Hi-Point was empty - I would not bat an eye at using it for a club, or chucking it at the bad guy.

What more could one ask for out of a sub $200 pistol?

Well to the OP's other point. Yes, once my Hi-Point was empty - I would not bat an eye at using it for a club, or chucking it at the bad guy.

What more could one ask for out of a sub $200 pistol?
    Sounds good.. I started this thread out as kind of a joke. Now i'm thinkin of buying a hi-point in 45... just to have it. Thanks for all your info.
    SIC VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

μολὼν λαβέ - molṑn labé - ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - COME AND TAKE!!!!

Sounds good.. I started this thread out as kind of a joke. Now i'm thinkin of buying a hi-point in 45... just to have it. Thanks for all your info.
    Not a bad idea at all. I kept mine as a trunk gun for quite awhile. Now people in the local classifieds here are trying to sell them for $300+ haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Well - I took a younger shooter out today. Let him shoot all my fancy guns.? Then we get to the HI-POINT 45 & 45 Carbine. Guess what ? Did the sticky note drill with him with the pistol & he outshot me (little ba$tard)! It was his 2nd time at a gun range & his first time ever shooting 45's - nothing worse than being outshot with your own gun!

Quote Originally Posted by MainelyGlock View Post
    Not a bad idea at all. I kept mine as a trunk gun for quite awhile. Now people in the local classifieds here are trying to sell them for $300+ haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    300+ ..... $199 more and you can get a new glock PFFFT!

Smile

Well - I took a younger shooter out today. Let him shoot all my fancy guns.? Then we get to the HI-POINT 45 & 45 Carbine. Guess what ? Did the sticky note drill with him with the pistol & he outshot me (little ba$tard)! It was his 2nd time at a gun range & his first time ever shooting 45's - nothing worse than being outshot with your own gun!
    you want to talk about little ba$tards? I took my 16 year old brother to the range.... His first time ever handling a firearm.... He outshot me with my own Glock 23.

He only did that with the first mag... after that he started performing more appropriately.

300+ ..... $199 more and you can get a new glock PFFFT!
    Uh....not in today's whacky market - now closer to $600 if you can find them, usually online. They go from $550 + then add $35 shipping / Then $35 FFL fee = $620 + tax (if it shipped from a FFL in your home state).

Madness! ETA - just to make you feel worse (me too) Glock's unit cost is approx $75 per pistol. They have not raised their prices with their distributor's. This is gouging plain & simple...
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-12-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Jeff Quinn over at gunblast.com summed it up pretty good. He said remember those who gouged during this time and don't do business with them (ever again). Those who kept prices fair, reward with your business from now on. I suspect when this all settles down, we will see a lot of the shysters gone from the gun business. That suits me just fine. Stopped at a few dealers locally the other day - one wanted $305 for a new hi-point 45! The other $299! They will never see my face or the wad of bills on my pocket again. Was looking for ammo (45acp) - one had it (american eagle 230gr ball) for $47.99 for a box of 50! Fu** him & the pygmy pony he rode in on!
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 05-12-2013 at 12:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast