• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Would Ohioans roll over like the Bostonians did?

carolina guy

Do you think the People of Ohio would behave as sheepishly as the people of Boston did this last Patriot's Day?

I know that if they tried this crap in Fairborn, I'd be the first guy on the street, telling them to stay the hell outta my place, whatever the legal risk. How about you.

To keep it OC related, would you do so while OCing? I wouldn't. I couldn't care less about being arrested under such circumstances. I don't want to get shot, which one of those militarized cops just might do!

But, really, the first question...

Not sure about the people of Ohio...but there are plenty in NC that would give up anything and everything to be "safe"...

That said, I would likely be one of the ones wandering around my neighborhood in defiance of the order to stay home. Would I OC...likely not for the simple reason of not wanting to lose my firearm and spending too much time trying to recover it. Would we let them search our home, absolutely not. Door would never even open, just a window to speak to the officer and let them know we do not "need" their assistance and that they may not leave our property (which is completely fenced with locked gates) -- and that is assuming that I did not meet them at the street side fence.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I think you may be confused. I never claimed to be debating her opinion. I even admitted that I don't doubt our government would do such a thing. I simply stated that I cannot take her seriously when she is unable to spell basic words, yet expects others to believe conspiracy theories.

If someone wants anyone to believe any form of a hypothesis, it should be presented with as much factual evidence as possible in the most professional and educated manner possible. Misspellings such as "pentigon" and "conficated" are not going to make me believe anyone has the intelligence to provide such evidence.

Again, no one said I was debating her. Sorry to disappoint you. Telling her I can't take her seriously while simultaneously admitting that I believe our government would do such a thing does not qualify as a debate. I agreed that our government very well could have or would do such a thing, but I can't take her seriously with third grade spelling.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
So let me get this straight. You are not interested in a honest discussion, but are more interested in trolling, and personal attacks? And you think she is the one who should not be taken seriously?

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
+1 ... this is not a engrish dissertation ... if its understandable its understandable

Joanie really does need to work on her spelling.

I'd be glad to give her some tips...

English is actually quite phonetic, if you can accept that there are roughly 4 sets of phoneme mappings (French, Germanic, Latin, and our own native one). But mastering that takes a bit of practice.

Personally, I take arguments at face value. But there's also a correlation between a tendency to spell (or generally write) poorly and a tendency to argue poorly, and I recognize that many will naturally be prejudiced to assume the former implies the latter. For this reason, it does behoove all of us to work on our spelling, diction, and phraseology.

That said, I agree that pointing out poor spelling is basically an ad hominem, and therefore of approximately zero value.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

I agree that it is possible, but I cannot take her seriously when she cannot spell basic words. I'm not sure why that is hard to understand.

Not to mention this is an OC board, not a board to discuss conspiracy theories. I won't act like I didn't continue the off topic posting by stating I cannot take her seriously, but it has been taken further off topic by you as well.

I'm not sure how you're going to call me out on "personal attacks" when every thread I have witnessed you in has been nothing but an argument. But in any case...

Maybe we can get back on topic now?

carolina guy

I think you may be confused. I never claimed to be debating her opinion. I even admitted that I don't doubt our government would do such a thing. I simply stated that I cannot take her seriously when she is unable to spell basic words, yet expects others to believe conspiracy theories.

If someone wants anyone to believe any form of a hypothesis, it should be presented with as much factual evidence as possible in the most professional and educated manner possible. Misspellings such as "pentigon" and "conficated" are not going to make me believe anyone has the intelligence to provide such evidence.

Again, no one said I was debating her. Sorry to disappoint you. Telling her I can't take her seriously while simultaneously admitting that I believe our government would do such a thing does not qualify as a debate. I agreed that our government very well could have or would do such a thing, but I can't take her seriously with third grade spelling.

Did you understand what she was typing? If so, the communication worked. It might have been distracting, but I doubt that it obscured the message to such as extent as the criticism warranted.

However, if you are talking about a debate taking place in an academic setting, you are correct.

Hareuhal

Did you understand what she was typing? If so, the communication worked. It might have been distracting, but I doubt that it obscured the message to such as extent as the criticism warranted.

However, if you are talking about a debate taking place in an academic setting, you are correct.

Regardless of whether or not the communication worked falls on ones ability to decipher misspellings. As I stated above, any hypothesis should be presented professionally, with factual evidence, and in an educated manner.

We will exclude professionalism and the evidence for the sake of this discussion, but the inability to spell grade school words is more than a matter of distraction. If one is unable to spell very simple words such as "tragedy", it makes everything after hard to accept.

You may have the best evidence in the world, if you're unable to use simple spelling, getting anyone to take you seriously will be difficult.

So we are back to where we started, when someone wants to convince others of their beliefs, but is unable to spell words such as "tragedy", "Pentagon", or "confiscated", I am unable to take them seriously, regardless of my own personal beliefs regarding the topic.

Last edited:

Makarov

I would be in front of my house armed, recording the event as it happens and telling them to get off my property unless you have a warrant.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

The mrs helps me with dicktion every night...
I dont need to spell to likethat..

(*thumbs up*)
I second that emotion!

Now see how spelling changes everything!
I cant spell, but I can read, And I am liking this action!

Regardless of whether or not the communication worked falls on ones ability to decipher misspellings. As I stated above, any hypothesis should be presented professionally, with factual evidence, and in an educated manner.

We will exclude professionalism and the evidence for the sake of this discussion, but the inability to spell grade school words is more than a matter of distraction. If one is unable to spell very simple words such as "tragedy", it makes everything after hard to accept.

You may have the best evidence in the world, if you're unable to use simple spelling, getting anyone to take you seriously will be difficult.

So we are back to where we started, when someone wants to convince others of their beliefs, but is unable to spell words such as "tragedy", "Pentagon", or "confiscated", I am unable to take them seriously, regardless of my own personal beliefs regarding the topic.

Bugger Off!!!

I can read poor spelling, but still apriciate themeaning of the message of the post,
dodnt need to put them down or errors, Im just as likely to respond with misspelled resonses...(sp)...

countryclubjoe

I could see them actually charging a Homeowner with Obstruction and or Conspiracy to commit treason,
If said homeowner refused LE entry to there home.

I have not heard of any homeowner not complying with the search or any homeowner that was arrested for other offenses after allowing access to LE. into the home.

Its easy being a Monday morning quarterback, until we have an armed group of angry people standing in front of our home and screaming commands at us thru the front door and helicopters flying over our roof.

Just my .02 cents.

CCJ

Last edited:

carolina guy

So, it is her fault that you are not able to handle misspellings? I don't find that I have that same trouble with accounting for misspelling and poor grammar in non-legal, non-technical or non-academic communications. (*shrug*) Your loss. Thankfully, my browser flags misspellings otherwise I would have quite a few myself. ;)

BTW: English is one of the easiest languages to understand with misspelled/mispronounced words.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

So, it is her fault that you are not able to handle misspellings? I don't find that I have that same trouble with accounting for misspelling and poor grammar in non-legal, non-technical or non-academic communications. (*shrug*) Your loss. Thankfully, my browser flags misspellings otherwise I would have quite a few myself. ;)

BTW: English is one of the easiest languages to understand with misspelled/mispronounced words.

I am still confused at how you are assuming I am unable to understand it. The fact of the matter is that "tragedy" is a very simple word to spell. If you're unable to spell very basic words as an adult, I feel your intelligence in other areas is lacking as well.

Maybe it isn't, but you know, appearance is everything, and if I have to decipher consistent misspellings of basic words from an adult, well then, I wonder what else isn't quite up to par.

If you don't like it, deal with it. Or you know, learn middle school grammar. Either or.

Last edited:

carolina guy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Hareuhal Regardless of whether or not the communication worked falls on ones ability to decipher misspellings. As I stated above, any hypothesis should be presented professionally, with factual evidence, and in an educated manner.

Sent from my SCH-I605

using Tapatalk 2

I am still confused at how you are assuming I am unable to understand it. The fact of the matter is that "tragedy" is a very simple word to spell. If you're unable to spell very basic words as an adult, I feel your intelligence in other areas is lacking as well.

Maybe it isn't, but you know, appearance is everything, and if I have to decipher consistent misspellings of basic words from an adult, well then, I wonder what else isn't quite up to par.

If you don't like it, deal with it. Or you know, learn middle school grammar. Either or.

Ok. So, you were:

1) ...upset at her for the misspellings, because you could not figure out her message. or
2) ...insulting her for the manner with which the message was delivered, regardless of the meaning contained in the message itself. or
3) ...looking for something to criticize because you did not like her "conspiracy theories".

(*shrug*)

Personally, it looks like your arguments against a few misspelled words are simply personal. FWIW, I notice that you provide no evidence that misspellings are critical to understanding in a forum open to native and non-native English speakers worldwide. ;)

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Correct me if I am wrong, but exigent circumstances would exist for a very specific and narrow area, such as a single dwelling. I can't see exigent circumstances justifying locking down a whole town!

I can't seem to shake the notion that this was some kind of practice run on how a militarized police action against a town would work and be received.

Totally unnecessary. Total failure. Total infringement of rights. Totally unacceptable!

Correct. As I said, exigent circumstances requires probable cause to exist.

The only difference between New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina and Boston is the civilians in Massachusetts have no guns to break-in and confiscate. But, it's an illegal break-in never the less.

The ends never justify the means.

FLORIDA v. JARDINES 11-564

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 4_5426.pdf
"The police cannot, without a warrant based on probable cause, hang around on the lawn or in the side garden, trawling for evidence and perhaps peering into the windows of the home," Justice Antonin Scalia said for the majority. "And the officers here had all four of their feet and all four of their companion's, planted firmly on that curtilage – the front porch is the classic example of an area intimately associated with the life of the home."

Lets get off the misspelling crap. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Hareuhal

Ok. So, you were:

1) ...upset at her for the misspellings, because you could not figure out her message. or
2) ...insulting her for the manner with which the message was delivered, regardless of the meaning contained in the message itself. or
3) ...looking for something to criticize because you did not like her "conspiracy theories".

(*shrug*)

Personally, it looks like your arguments against a few misspelled words are simply personal. FWIW, I notice that you provide no evidence that misspellings are critical to understanding in a forum open to native and non-native English speakers worldwide. ;)

Being able to understand ones message regardless of how it is conveyed does not change the fact that she is an adult who does not know how to spell basic words.

Regardless of whether or not you agree with me, spelling still happens to be a very important aspect of life. If one is unable to spell very basic words as an adult, I have a rather difficult time listening to anything they have to say. When someone is making claims (especially in a forum not designated for said claims) about anything, I expect them to be educated enough to make me or anyone else want to believe they are a credible person to listen to. Being unable to spell "tragedy" is absolutely not going to make me think they are credible.

But then again, it looks as if you're here only to start your own little fight while criticizing me for what I say? How unusual, that since March 23rd, the first time you commented in the Ohio board was today....Or is this a case of two people from North Carolina going to other boards to "pick on" people you don't agree with? Food for thought.

IMO it is far better to be a poor speller then socially handicapped.

Oh, thankfully, I don't care about your opinion. I would venture to say you are far more socially handicapped than most. You pick fights just to pick them.

On April 11th you were having a good time starting your own fight with Joanie about her talking about something that was off topic. In case you've forgotten....

joanie said:
Quote Originally Posted by joanie View Post
What has this to do with the OP?

Nothing, if topics can't take on a life of their own here, I'll post somewhere where they can.
WalkingWolf said:
(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
WalkingWolf said:
Would you mind citing where the OP posted he was not coming back? I don't care where the post is, the rules are the rules, and a few of us were having a discussion relevant to the OP(case history on knifes in Ohio). Taking it off topic so far it has absolutely nothing to do with the OP or OC is not only rude but violating the rules. Your disregard and lack of respect for the operators of this site and their rules is boorish.

Since this thread does not have nothing to do with OC, and you believe that the OP stated he was not coming back, and you can't even come close to keeping on topic. Hopefully the mods will shut it down.
WalkingWolf said:
I don't know whether he is coming back or not, YOU made the claim he is not, and stated it as a matter of fact! So put the cite up to back up your claim!

The post did or does have to do with 2A because a knife is a arm, but it is not a handgun. A couple of the members WERE discussing cases involving knife carry in Ohio. So either report the thread, but don't make it even worse by incoherent babbling that has nothing to do with carry of any kind. The babbling and then insistence that the rules don't apply because it is a Ohio thread and the OP is not coming back is the insult to the site and the rules.

So again I demand a cite to show that the OP is not coming back or is not at least monitoring the thread?

And I'll stop there. So there you were just a few days ago starting fights with other members, babbling on about "off topic" posts, etc etc, and here you are today starting fights with others, taking topics more and more off topic with every post and just blatantly ignoring the very same thing you told others to do.

Maybe you should think about who REALLY likes to start fights here...on account of me having started at most one fight...where you're up to at least two in the last week.

Or maybe you North Carolina folk should just stick to your own board and fight with each other there, since you can't seem to behave anywhere else.

Either way, I'll not respond to this thread and take it any further off topic, so enjoy responding as you please.