Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Hello NC OC Members :)

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Selma North Carolina
    Posts
    10

    Smile Hello NC OC Members :)

    Hello OC members of NC im Dominique M 20 Yrs old from Selma hoping to buy my first Handgun at the age of 21 which is may 11th
    i have no idea what type of handgun im looking for but im trying to see what is the law for the OC here in NC I already know the basic's
    about no criminal record things like that i dont have it so i already know im in the clear for that.

  2. #2
    Regular Member REDFIVE48's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    247
    Welcome!

    There is a forum especially for the selecting a gun topic:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...ting-a-Handgun

    Study up on the OC Pamphlet in the stickies of this forum and report your progress

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Selma North Carolina
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    Welcome!

    There is a forum especially for the selecting a gun topic:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/fo...ting-a-Handgun

    Study up on the OC Pamphlet in the stickies of this forum and report your progress
    Where do i find the Pamphlet in the stickes like do you have a link or something? because im trying to learn all i can !
    Last edited by Dominique21; 04-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Welcome to OCDO!
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  5. #5
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    BTW once you are 21 you can apply for a C&R license from the federal government. The cost is $30, and you can find some interesting deals on handguns and buy them off the internet, and have them shipped to your door.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Selma North Carolina
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    BTW once you are 21 you can apply for a C&R license from the federal government. The cost is $30, and you can find some interesting deals on handguns and buy them off the internet, and have them shipped to your door.
    im searching up C&R license now and learning aswell what confused me was this part
    " You are not prohibited from owning firearms or ammunition by any State or Federal laws " im still in a learning process off all this so it may take a while
    But im trying to learn asmuch as i can but i have all the time in the world you know

  7. #7
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Aside from the C&R (which is a great thing, btw) you also don't have to wait until you are 21 to buy a handgun. You can buy one after you re 18 yrs old through a private sale. You have to be 21 to buy one from a FFL dealer, that's all. Some Sheriff's will balk at giving people who are not yet 21 a Pistol Purchase Permit, but it's not illegal for them to issue it.

    Or, you could just wait three weeks, too. Either way

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Aside from the C&R (which is a great thing, btw) you also don't have to wait until you are 21 to buy a handgun. You can buy one after you re 18 yrs old through a private sale. You have to be 21 to buy one from a FFL dealer, that's all. Some Sheriff's will balk at giving people who are not yet 21 a Pistol Purchase Permit, but it's not illegal for them to issue it.

    Or, you could just wait three weeks, too. Either way
    AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

    Come to the dark side(black powder) my young apprentice... LOL

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858-...RI%3BIK-215506
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 04-22-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Selma North Carolina
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

    Come to the dark side(black powder) my young apprentice... LOL

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858-...RI%3BIK-215506
    well im thinking of buying a Hand Gun which are pretty pricey i just hope i have enough to afford it, and is there like a yearly or month due i have to pay just to keep my gun?

  10. #10
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominique21 View Post
    well im thinking of buying a Hand Gun which are pretty pricey i just hope i have enough to afford it, and is there like a yearly or month due i have to pay just to keep my gun?
    There are no dues, there are fees for a CHP. You do have to pay for PPP to buy a handgun until or if you get your permit.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  11. #11
    Regular Member rotorhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    862
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

    Come to the dark side(black powder) my young apprentice... LOL

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858-...RI%3BIK-215506
    Dang them 1860s on that page were sweet.

    I have a question for you:

    When carrying cap & ball pistols, do you keep all 6 caps/ cylinders loaded? Do you go with hammer down on one of them, or keep one cylinder clear and rest the hammer on that empty cylinder? Black powder pistols are where I'm heading next I think.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 04-22-2013 at 02:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

    Come to the dark side(black powder) my young apprentice... LOL

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104503680

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858-...RI%3BIK-215506

    Grrrrrrr....now you are making me want one of them...between starting reloading, a DIY AK and now BP guns...arrrrghhh!
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    ... An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. ...
    cite?

    I seem to be having trouble finding the text of the GFSZA, your help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to the relevant section.

  14. #14
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Quote Originally Posted by lpb8733 View Post
    cite?

    I seem to be having trouble finding the text of the GFSZA, your help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to the relevant section.
    The federal government uses various descriptions they describe firearms and they also describe antique firearms. Antique firearms are excluded as firearms from much of the federal firearm restrictions and rules. The GFZSA does not mention antique firearms only firearms. I will try to gather the cites tomorrow, it will take a bit of reading and digging to get both laws posted. Sorry I am just to tired tonight to mess with it.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  15. #15
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by lpb8733 View Post
    cite?

    I seem to be having trouble finding the text of the GFSZA, your help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to the relevant section.
    Try starting here:

    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...t-I/chapter-44

    Definitions:
    (3)The term “firearm” means
    (A)any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B)the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
    (C)any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
    (D)any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.
    (16)The term “antique firearm” means—
    (A)any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

    (B)
    any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
    (i)is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    (ii)uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

    (C)
    any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
    The GFSZ is 18 U.S.C. 922(q)
    Last edited by carolina guy; 04-25-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  16. #16
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Thanks CG, I have been doing some chores I have neglected, and I just did not feel like doing searches tonight.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  17. #17
    Regular Member REDFIVE48's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominique21 View Post
    Where do i find the Pamphlet in the stickes like do you have a link or something? because im trying to learn all i can !
    There are only 4 stickies in this forum, am surprised this sticky isn't the first one you read:
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...-March-22-2012

  18. #18
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Thanks CG, I have been doing some chores I have neglected, and I just did not feel like doing searches tonight.

    np!
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    ...



    The GFSZ is 18 U.S.C. 922(q)
    The GFSZA appears to be section q, if I'm reading it right? I usually do alright reading laws and legal docs, but this one confounds me.

  20. #20
    Regular Member carolina guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Concord, NC
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by lpb8733 View Post
    The GFSZA appears to be section q, if I'm reading it right? I usually do alright reading laws and legal docs, but this one confounds me.
    Correct.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Posts
    23
    I like WalkingWolf carry black powder pistols, I have an 1851 Navy .36, an 1861 Navy .36, two 1858 Remington .44's and an 1862 Spiller&Burr .36. All fine guns and for safety's sake only load five chambers, leave the hammer on the empty chamber.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •