• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hello NC OC Members :)

Dominique21

Hello OC members of NC im Dominique M 20 Yrs old from Selma :eek: hoping to buy my first Handgun at the age of 21 which is may 11th
i have no idea what type of handgun im looking for but im trying to see what is the law for the OC here in NC I already know the basic's
about no criminal record things like that i dont have it so i already know im in the clear for that.

Dominique21

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

BTW once you are 21 you can apply for a C&R license from the federal government. The cost is $30, and you can find some interesting deals on handguns and buy them off the internet, and have them shipped to your door.

Dominique21

BTW once you are 21 you can apply for a C&R license from the federal government. The cost is $30, and you can find some interesting deals on handguns and buy them off the internet, and have them shipped to your door.

im searching up C&R license now and learning aswell what confused me was this part
" You are not prohibited from owning firearms or ammunition by any State or Federal laws " im still in a learning process off all this so it may take a while :)
But im trying to learn asmuch as i can but i have all the time in the world you know

rotorhead

Aside from the C&R (which is a great thing, btw) you also don't have to wait until you are 21 to buy a handgun. You can buy one after you re 18 yrs old through a private sale. You have to be 21 to buy one from a FFL dealer, that's all. Some Sheriff's will balk at giving people who are not yet 21 a Pistol Purchase Permit, but it's not illegal for them to issue it.

Or, you could just wait three weeks, too. Either way :)

WalkingWolf

Aside from the C&R (which is a great thing, btw) you also don't have to wait until you are 21 to buy a handgun. You can buy one after you re 18 yrs old through a private sale. You have to be 21 to buy one from a FFL dealer, that's all. Some Sheriff's will balk at giving people who are not yet 21 a Pistol Purchase Permit, but it's not illegal for them to issue it.

Or, you could just wait three weeks, too. Either way :)

AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

Come to the dark side(black powder) my young apprentice... LOL :eek:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104503680

http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858...792580|104701680|104503680&WTz_l=RI;IK-215506

Last edited:

Dominique21

AND I can't believe I forgot to mention this. You also can purchase a antique firearm/cap and ball handgun at 18 with no PP, no background check, and online. I believe Cabela's has 58 Remington on sale for $229 plus shipping. Extra cylinders are around $60 if I remember. An added bonus antique firearms they are not listed in GFSZA. A 58 remy is a very capable self defense handgun, and I can reload mine in under 20 seconds with spare cylinders. Though most of the time I just carry two cap and ball revolvers, if I know I am going to be walking around a GFSZ.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104701680;cat104503680

http://www.cabelas.com/product/1858...792580|104701680|104503680&WTz_l=RI;IK-215506

well im thinking of buying a Hand Gun which are pretty pricey i just hope i have enough to afford it, and is there like a yearly or month due i have to pay just to keep my gun?

WalkingWolf

well im thinking of buying a Hand Gun which are pretty pricey i just hope i have enough to afford it, and is there like a yearly or month due i have to pay just to keep my gun?

There are no dues, there are fees for a CHP. You do have to pay for PPP to buy a handgun until or if you get your permit.

rotorhead

Dang them 1860s on that page were sweet.

I have a question for you:

When carrying cap & ball pistols, do you keep all 6 caps/ cylinders loaded? Do you go with hammer down on one of them, or keep one cylinder clear and rest the hammer on that empty cylinder? Black powder pistols are where I'm heading next I think.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Grrrrrrr....now you are making me want one of them...between starting reloading, a DIY AK and now BP guns...arrrrghhh! ;)

WalkingWolf

cite?

I seem to be having trouble finding the text of the GFSZA, your help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to the relevant section.

The federal government uses various descriptions they describe firearms and they also describe antique firearms. Antique firearms are excluded as firearms from much of the federal firearm restrictions and rules. The GFZSA does not mention antique firearms only firearms. I will try to gather the cites tomorrow, it will take a bit of reading and digging to get both laws posted. Sorry I am just to tired tonight to mess with it.

carolina guy

cite?

I seem to be having trouble finding the text of the GFSZA, your help would be appreciated. Especially if you could point me to the relevant section.

Try starting here:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-44

Definitions:
(3)The term “firearm” means
(A)any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
(B)the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
(C)any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
(D)any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(16)The term “antique firearm” means—
(A)any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

(B)
any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
(i)is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
(ii)uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

(C)
any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

The GFSZ is 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)

Last edited: