• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

fopa

Afragu

can someone help me break down this law and those the new ct state gun laws infringe or has anything to do with this ?

Rich B

If you are asking about whether the state can register firearms in the context of FOPA, the answer is yes.

FOPA forbids the use of 4473 forms for registration schemes. That is why CT uses their own forms.

Why people keep bringing this up in relation to SB 1160 is what worries me. It hints that many people in this state don't know that CT has been registering firearms for a long time. What exactly do you think the state forms are for when you buy a gun at an FFL?

If you want to read about FOPA, you can do so on the internet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act

If you want to read FOPA: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-44

It is all a google search away...

davidmcbeth

Banned
If you are asking about whether the state can register firearms in the context of FOPA, the answer is yes.

FOPA forbids the use of 4473 forms for registration schemes. That is why CT uses their own forms.

Rich correct. I would go further though .... and say that any registration scheme in CT infringes upon our 2nd amendment rights.

Upon first reflection of PA13-3 I thought that the registration would pass muster. I am not so sure today. I speak more about this in a thread that I started today..